Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

outfits for boys, 8 and 6, casual wedding

We're doing a backyard wedding in August 2012. My FI has two boys who will be our "ring holders". I have a fairly simple wedding dress (ivory satin, sleek, spaghetti straps, kind of slinky - think 40s Hollywood) and FI will be wearing khakis, a white shirt and orange tie.

For the boys, I'm debating between khakis and shorts. If I did "dressier" khaki-like shorts, and some nice brown leather sandals I think this would be appropriate but I wanted another opinion. Since the wedding is in our yard, I really want the boys to be comfortable and be able to run around and play since we will have a lot of kids their age there (neighbors they play with regularly and a few of their other friends). I'm really afraid of this being some stuffy, formal event for them.

Does anyone think shorts are too casual, even for a backyard wedding?

TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: outfits for boys, 8 and 6, casual wedding

• Options
    I think that sounds perfect! 

You could have them wear khaki shorts and a navy jacket for the ceremony if you want to dress them up, then let them take the jackets off. 

But really, I don't think they need to be fancy for what sounds like a very casual wedding.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_outfits-boys-8-6-casual-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:3b055707-395d-4212-86f6-eacb76c4d79ePost:d9bfa40c-8161-45cc-b530-0b650a3113a8">Re: outfits for boys, 8 and 6, casual wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Couldn't your FI wear a navy blue jacket, too?  He could take it off after the ceremony.  Your pictures would look much better.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]
    I'm guessing that he could but does not want to.  Not a big deal.

I think the boys would look great in shorts, sandals, and a polo to match the colors.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_outfits-boys-8-6-casual-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:3b055707-395d-4212-86f6-eacb76c4d79ePost:c7dd8760-76aa-4f69-8de3-d49bee47da72">Re: outfits for boys, 8 and 6, casual wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: outfits for boys, 8 and 6, casual wedding : I'm guessing that he could but does not want to.  Not a big deal. I think the boys would look great in shorts, sandals, and a polo to match the colors.
    Posted by pgcp[/QUOTE]

The boys will look fine like that.  Its a casual wedding as you said.

For a more formal wedding, they should wear Eton suits but that's too dressy for this occasion.  I hate putting little boys in tux!
  • Options
    Would the boys want to dress like their Dad in khakis, white shirt and orange tie?
  • Options

Another option would be for them to wear khakis for the ceremony part and run inside to change in to shorts. Since both the pants and shorts aren't too formal I am sure they could wear them again too (a plus for the budget)!

• Options
    Thanks for all the responses. 

I'm a bit hesitant to put them in ties (or jackets) because I want them to be comfortable. They are not used to dressing up, although their father and I are (we work in finance and "dress up" every day for work). They are not "in" the wedding, other than they will be holding the rings. The ceremony is about 5 minutes long and then the reception - taco bar, yard games, etc. will start. But it isn't a bad idea - I think the idea of them dressed up like their dad might be cool - if they like the idea (and they just might) the pictures would look really neat.

I'm shying away from the jacket idea for FI too just because I kind of like the casual look for him. It's an outdoor wedding in August - the less layers the better. I'm not terribly concerned about how it looks for pictures - I've seen some great shots from other casual weddings with the guy not wearing a jacket. Plus the navy jacket - while I do love the color - might make people think Bears when matched with the orange tie. FI is from Chicago and we live about 30 minutes from Green Bay - Packer territory. :)

Thanks again for the advice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards