Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

how soon is too soon?

I found the dress I want... it'll b on sale in a few weekends 50 off! The problem... he hasn't proposed yet. I know he is going to cause we have been talking about it. I may not get this sale again! Too soon to buy? Or go for the deal?

Re: how soon is too soon?

• Options
    How sure are you? Because if your situation is anything like mine, my fiance and I were pretty much married before we even got engaged. I helped him design my ring and we already owned a home together. He was just waiting for the right time to creatively pop the question.

If this is the case in your circumstance, I'd say its up to you. 50% off deals dont come by very often and if you're 100% positive you're going to get married in the near future I'd go for it. 

Also consider if you're going to set a date far out in the future styles change and maufacturers come out with new things all the time. I'd hate for you to regret your dress choice.

Have you already tried the dress on?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I tried it on and its beautiful! And yes that's pretty much our situation...
  • Options
    Well then I say go for it. I might talk it over with your fiance first just to see what he thinks about it. Just say "hey babe, they're having a huge sale on the gown I'm considering purchasing for when we get married and its possible that this sale will not be occuring when we are engaged. should I buy it now?"

If he says yes, get it,  then I say definitely do it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No. You aren't engaged yet, and by the time you do, any number of circumstances could change. The guy, the style, your taste, your body shape, the venue, the time of year. Seriously, no.  
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_how-soon-is-too-soon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:3c1093ec-2d3f-4257-a134-d51b237e2018Post:4ce54054-5ee1-4482-be97-34433ab0198d">Re: how soon is too soon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No. You aren't engaged yet, and by the time you do, any number of circumstances could change. The guy, the style, your taste, your body shape, the venue, the time of year. Seriously, no.  
    Posted by msuprincess04[/QUOTE]

<div>Totally all of this.</div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    If you do buy it, you have to STOP looking at wedding dresses. You'll just end up finding something else you like and you'll second guess your original purchase.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_how-soon-is-too-soon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:3c1093ec-2d3f-4257-a134-d51b237e2018Post:6d544286-7cb0-4b37-8552-e5f58d640f6b">Re: how soon is too soon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How sure are you? Because if your situation is anything like mine, my fiance and I were pretty much married before we even got engaged. I helped him design my ring and we already owned a home together. <strong>He was just waiting for the right time to creatively pop the question.</strong> If this is the case in your circumstance, I'd say its up to you. 50% off deals dont come by very often and if you're 100% positive you're going to get married in the near future I'd go for it.  Also consider if you're going to set a date far out in the future styles change and maufacturers come out with new things all the time. I'd hate for you to regret your dress choice. Have you already tried the dress on?
    Posted by csweaney[/QUOTE]

I can never get my head around this thinking.  Doesn't it take all of the excitement and surprise out of it?

OP, my H and I were together for 7 years before we started living together and then spent an additional 2.5 years living together before buying our first home about 3 months prior to getting engaged.  Basically we knew we were going to get married at some point in time.  Our families knew we would get married but the thing was that he had not proposed to me.  So needless to say, I fantasized about my wedding, but never in a million years would I purchase a wedding dress before I got engaged.  Crazy things can happen and things can change.

Ring first then wedding planning/dress buying.

• Options
    Dont buy the dress until you have the ring. He might not propose for another year, things can always change.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    50 off will likely happen again. If it were 500 off, I might say go for it. If it is a davids bridal dress, they have 50100 off sales all the time.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_how-soon-is-too-soon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:3c1093ec-2d3f-4257-a134-d51b237e2018Post:4ce54054-5ee1-4482-be97-34433ab0198d">Re: how soon is too soon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No. You aren't engaged yet, and by the time you do, any number of circumstances could change. The guy, the style, your taste, your body shape, the venue, the time of year. Seriously, no.  
    Posted by msuprincess04[/QUOTE]

All of this!! Don't buy the dress without a ring...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_how-soon-is-too-soon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:3c1093ec-2d3f-4257-a134-d51b237e2018Post:33253c09-3d72-4eb7-9a26-d3c29faa3ef6">how soon is too soon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I found the dress I want... it'll b on sale in a few weekends 50 off! The problem... he hasn't proposed yet. I know he is going to cause we have been talking about it. I may not get this sale again! Too soon to buy? Or go for the deal?
    Posted by pnkchilli21[/QUOTE]

too soon. Wait til he proposes because once you do that, it might be a whle before you even get married. you might change your mind on your dream dress....
  • Options
    Don't do anything without a ring.  My EX FI and I had made a few deposits on a wedding BEFORE we were engaged.  Got engaged, ran into problems, I cancelled everything, we broke up several months after.  Now I am engaged again and marrying the most wonderful man in the world in a few months.  Live and learn.

Not to say that would happen to you.  But just don't do it.  Plus, styles, opinions, etc change so much within months.  You may find something else you love a year or 2 from now.  I wouldn't even go to a bridal store without a ring.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Options
    I completely understand your situation. However, I can tell you, I did that myself. I bought a dress because I knew we were going to get engaged. It was on gilt.com and was super cute and a few hundred dollars (not a huge expense) well, he proposed in June and I went dress shopping again and ended up with another dress. My style changed and It was really fun to be engaged and go dress shopping. That experience alone is making me say DONT DO IT!.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards