Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Best fit for a bigger bust?

I am not going bm dress shopping yet as it is too early but one of my bms is stressing out really bad. She is bigger chested and does not wear dresses normally so she is not sure what style would look best, she does not want strapless, v-neck, low cut or anything. I have a decent size chest but i do not feel the need to hide like she does so i do not know what would look good. We live at least an hour to 1.5 hours to the nearest dress shop so going and trying something on just to check is out of the question. so...........

If you have a bigger chest what style are you most comfortable in? (i think she wants to downplay her chest)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Best fit for a bigger bust?

• Options
    I used to have a big bust and hated wearing anything that would show the "girls". Truthfully, halter or straps used to be my favoriate style because of the support it gave me(halter more so). I know David's bridal has all kinds of different dresses but you also can look at designer's who do BM dress (alfred angelo and Mon Cheri are good ones).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First off she should not wear anything up to her neck or with too high of a collar as that will just make her look top heavy & larger. She should go for something with a little of v-cut (not too much) so that her neck is shown & this will elongate her silhouette. I say all of this from some one is large chested & is not that comfortable showing the girls off.
  • Options
    I think a modest a-line cut of some sort is probably her best bet.  Geri hit the head on the nail that any neckline that fits her stipulations will just call more attention to her chest.  Personally I've found that anything that is a-line/empire with a v-neck looks best.  As long as the neckline doesn't cut too deep it is very flattering.  Plus the cut of the skirt flowing away from the body is universally flattering on pretty much any figure, especially the girl in particular you are helping since adding more volume to the lower half will help to balance out her chest and make her seem not as large up top.

I actually love those styles because you can make such a cute vintage look with them.  Think 40's-60's style cocktail dresses for the cut that might work.  I find it to be most flattering on me and I have an F cup.
  • Options
    As a DDD myself - I agree on the V-necks - very flattering - just not too deep.  Bonus is that you can wear a bra with straps.  I have never liked how I look in a halter. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_fit-bigger-bust?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:3d3d8542-d361-47a3-8294-291e154630ddPost:ecb464ce-4d73-47de-9c4b-9738ec900fe5">Re: Best fit for a bigger bust?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would ask her what her favorite kind of dress to wear is, and her budget, and go from there. You're so sweet to be so considerate!
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

I want everyone to be comfortable, they have all budgeted WAY more than i am going to let them spend so i have a range pricewise.

Thanks for all the advice ladies, i will look up those styles and show her. She NEVER wears a dress so that is why she doesn't know what would work (in general)
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    my cousin was like that... it took us a loooong time to find her a dress.

is she big busted but smaller under? or big all around?
    my cousin is a size 6 but her chest required a 14... she needed something with straps, and NO BONING. we got ours at DB
    if she's big all around i rec a halter with a-line skirt. i'm a fan of those :)
    imageimage
    PS Sig Challenge: Rings
    Sept 2011 Sig Challenge: First Kiss
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_fit-bigger-bust?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:3d3d8542-d361-47a3-8294-291e154630ddPost:64301741-2cb8-4a2c-81dd-930ce9a1ce59">Re: Best fit for a bigger bust?</a>:
    [QUOTE]First off she should not wear anything up to her neck or with too high of a collar as that will just make her look top heavy & larger. She should go for something with a little of v-cut (not too much) so that her neck is shown & this will elongate her silhouette. I say all of this from some one is large chested & is not that comfortable showing the girls off.
    Posted by Geri510[/QUOTE]

Yes, a V-neck, sweetheart or even square neckline would work well.  Definitely  need some sort of straps to hide the necessary bra.  I have always hated halters and don't like the look of stuff up around my neck.  Love the look of an empire waist, but it is not a good choice for a larger chested gal.  Firstly, the seam never hits in the right place and looks silly cutting across in the middle of your chest.  I have rarely found one that has enough fabric on top.  It also would be best to have the dress come down slightly fitted to the waist.  Much more slimming.  It's tricky sometimes for sure.  On top of it, I'm only 5'2" and have to be even more careful that something doesn't look overwhelming on me.
  • Options
    Speaking from an experience as someone with F's... V-necks are wonderful! David's Bridal has a few really nice ones. I have always hated strapless because it just feels like I am falling out of the dress constantly and hurts my back a lot. Halters can also be a good alternative, especially with a halter bra. 
  • Options
    When I was a DD+, I hated halters--the strap always pulled on the back of my neck.  And I totally agree with staying away high necklines.

If she's big on top and small to average on bottom, what about a skirt and top?  Then she could get a better fit. 

I hated dresses when I was big--they never fit right.  If they fit the boobs, they were too big everywhere else.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • Options
    As someone who has H's (I'd give my left eyebrow to be an F) I find that scoop necks work best, or adding spaghetti straps works best. Halters are hard on your neck and sweetheart necklines sometimes accentuate that... asset. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Rhino, I agree - I would love to be an F again!

Ditto all the recs for an open neckline.  I prefer V neck, but square or scoop works also.  It must have straps or tank sleeves, but sleeves can be an issue because sometimes they pull too much, but maybe that is just my overly broad shoulders.  Also, the waist needs to be defined.  Anything flowy with no defined waist make me look like a pregnant girl in a mumu.

Something like these

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards