Attire & Accessories Forum

Can a corset back be added?

This is the back of my dress and I really don't like the zipper being there. It sticks out and it drives me nuts. Can they add a corset back and take the zipper out? Has anyone ever had this done or know of someone that has? how'd it look? Any help would be appreciated.

Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development

Re: Can a corset back be added?

• I think it could be done, but PP is right, that it would remove the floral detaling in the back. Maybe add buttons/closure loops instead?
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I'm sure it can be done.  Ask local boards for recommendations for a good seamstress that specializes in wedding gowns.  Look through your phone book too and call a few places and ask if they do such a thing.  
  • Yes, talk to your alterations lady...probably will cost a pretty penny though
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • If you're altering the back, I would recommend doing a hook and eye closure (kinda like a bra) versus a corset because a corset will mess up the floral design.  I wouldn't think a hook and eye closure wouldn't stick out as much as the zipper does.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is possible with alterations.  I think they quoted me like $40 on one gown I tried on which would have needed to be converted to a corset back in order to let it out to fit me.  A seamstress in your area will be able to give you a better idea of a price and how it might affect the floral detailing.

If your biggest concern is how the zipper looks, the seamstress may have some other ideas to camouflage the zipper so definitely worth asking!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • edited January 2012
    I purchases a Laceéis corset kit from http://www.perfectfitpatterns.com for about $30. It seems really easy to add to the dress. I'm not going to attempt it but I am going to give it to the seamstress to sew in. I think that will cut down the cost of actually making the loops. Here's the video that gives a quick overview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w30w65cTd_c

Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Our wedding date is June 2, 2012

104 invited 77 accepted! 27 can't make it Finally tracked down the procrastinators!

• I called David's Bridal and its $150 to add the corset back, but it definitely can be done. They said if I bring my dress in, they will pin the lacing up so I can see what it will look like.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • $150 doesn't seem like a bad price. I considered the idea and was quoted a much larger price than that. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm sure it can definitely be done!
  • It can certainly be done.  I'm not sure who the designer is of that dress, but one of the dresses I considered was a Casablanca, and it zipped up the back. It had a fully beaded bodice.  I was quoted $50 for the company (Casablanca) to add a corset back to the dress, but I would have had to place the order with that request.
    Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards