Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

To veil or not to veil....??

I bought my dress and i LOVE it.  It's just what I wanted - simple, flowy, sweetheart with just a touch of sparkle around the waist...

I am super confused about what to wear or not to wear on my head!  At first, I was SURE I didn't want a veil at all, but once the lady at the bridal shop put one on my head with the dress, I kind of loved it.  But I also love the idea of a flower crown...
I'm so confused that it's making me feel sick! 

Anyone else having a hard time deciding?  or...has anyone decided?  How did you do it?!
;)

Re: To veil or not to veil....??

• Options
    It's all a matter of personal preference.  You can always wear a veil for the ceremony and some pictures (like if you do any pictures before the ceremony), then do some other kind of headpiece like a jeweled comb or flower crown for the reception.

Veils can be kind of a pain for the reception...it's gets in the way when you dance and tugs on your head when people hug you (which will be often), so no matter what I would recommend removing a veil for the reception.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2012
    Like PP it is a matter of personal preference.  I wore a veil for just the ceremony and a few pictures.  After that it come out faster then it went in for the rest of the night. 

I am glad I wore one because it really made me feel like a bride when I put it on.  But I didn't decide to wear it until about 45 minutes prior to getting married.  I had been contemplating getting a veil for a few months so I decided to make a simple cut edge, one tier, fingertip length veil.  It was exactly what I wanted and it only cost me $8 to make.  I figured that when the day came I could decide what I wanted to do and if I didn't wear it I would only be out $8 instead of $208 like most veils at bridal stores run.

• Options
    how did you make it??

I am in love with something like this (below) and I guess I could do both and take the veil off for the reception...

• Options
    I definitely think you could do both!  If you do a veil with the crown of flowers I would keep it super simple so as not to over power you.

I found a simple pattern through google.  Unfortunately I didn't keep the link but I bought white bridal tulle from Joann's.  I believe I bought the 36" length tulle.  I then purchase about 3 yards of it...you can do more or less depending on how thick you want the veil.  When I got home I made a template to follow to round off the corners of the veil.  Basically you take your fabric and fold it in half and round off the square corner.  Again you can round it off a lot of just a bit depending on your preference.  I then used clear thread and ran a running stitch along the top of the fabric to gather the material and then attached the veil of the metal comb I bought.

Sorry, that is the best explanation I can give without it getting too confusing.

Here is a pick of me in my finished veil.

From the back:

From the front:

• Options
    I didn't wear one, but I made a hairpiece out of an applique that I had the seamstress take off of my dress. The back of my dress had detail that I didn't want to cover up.
    It's definitely a personal choice, but my photographer said more and more girls are going without.
    Here is my hairpiece, and I LOVED it.

• Options
    I'll be going without, but this is my second wedding and very low-key.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    YOu can always have your cake and eat it too, so to speak.  I've seen flower crowns with a simple trailing veil off of the very back.

Here's an example

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    yeah I think I really like that idea!

I just don't know if it'll be too much...
    My dress is very simple, but it does have a very sparkly "belt" around the waist...so that, with a flower crown AND a veil...I just don't know if it would look too busy?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards