New Hampshire

Invitation Address Questions

Hello Ladies!
So I have been in turmoil over this decision. Please tell me what you did!!
Did you hand write the addresses on your invitations or did you print the addresses in a fancy font on clear labels?
I have so many projects going on right now and having to hand write them is going to take even more time but I see that the proper etiquette is to hand write them. Are the invitees really going to notice or even care?

Re: Invitation Address Questions

• DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, "proper" etiquette is to handwrite your invitations.  However, only you can know whether your invitees will care - have they always been the type to fuss about what's traditionally proper, or are they going to be more focused on the fact that they've simply been invited?

Very, very few people in both my family and FI's care about what is and is not proper etiquette, so while I'll be following a lot of the rules for my wedding as a personal preference, there are some things I just won't bother with, and handwriting addresses on envelopes is one of them!

I would, however, recommend that you at least print the addresses straight onto the envelopes.  You can do custom paper sizes in most word processing programs (IE Microsoft Word) and in your printer settings so they'll print properly.  Even clear labels are very noticeable, and if they're clear, they're likely plastic and will take FOREVER for the ink to dry (and even then, it can still be hard to keep them from smudging!).
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • ericcaahericcaah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I printed the addresses directly on each individual envelope. It was certainly time consuming to individually feed each envelope through the printer and to type out each and every address individually, but it was so worth it. As PP said, it minimized smudging and looked extremely professional. I was very happy with how they turned out. HTH!
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • dls.1215dls.1215 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also printed directly on the envelope and LOVED how it came out  Good luck!
    April 2010 January SC - Favorite Picture from the Holidays
    DH & I at the Light Festival

Anniversary

PersonalMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    About 25% of our guest list cared about the etiquette of hand-addressing envelopes, so we wrote all the addresses. If your guest list is more laid back, I say print them. I would have done it if some of our family members and older friends wouldn't have side-eyed it!!
  • JessnJamesNHJessnJamesNH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you Ladies. I thought of that option too but my printer will not print on Metallic paper. :-(   The clear label shows up pretty tacky looking too. :-(  I guess that is what is killing me. I have spent hours and a lot of money on these invitations and now I don't want to ruin them with horrible handwriting or tacky labels. I know months from now none of this is going to matter but it is amazing how something so minute can be such a thorn in the side when you want your special day to be perfect. James being my voice of reason keeps reminding me that all of these invites and envelopes will be in the trash in a few months so stop sweating the small stuff. That's why I love him so. LOL
  • DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another option is to do a wrap-around label in non-metallic paper; basically put a band of colored (or white) paper all the way (or half-way) around the envelope.  It would certainly stand out, allow you to print the addresses, and look rather unique to all of your invitees.

If you have an alternate color from the metallic you're using, it would be a fantastic way to introduce it on the outside, and also make sure the metallic envelopes don't blind your guests ;)
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • edited December 2011
    We printed directly on our envelopes, but since you can't do that, I would recommend the wrap around label.  I think I've see instructions on that.  And if you do go the route of printing something up, do yourself a favor and do a mail merge from an Excel spreadsheet that already has the addresses in it.  Saves a ton of time!
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • edited December 2011
    We handwrote ours, as, like chica, about 25% of our guest list (especially my godmother and my mother) cared about the etiquette. Do you have a friend or one of your BM's who has nice handwriting? My MOH's mom is a teacher who has unreal penmanship, so I had her address all of the envelopes BEFORE we stuffed them. I got her a gc for a pedi as a little thank you. I knew I'd go crazy trying to address everything so I just delegated. Hopefully you can do something like that. The $40 gc turned out to be WELL WORTH my not having to stress over it and faaaar less than what you'd pay a calligrapher.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit NewHampshire.Weddings.com
  • edited December 2011
    So far I'm planning on printing addresses and using a pretty font that looks like elegant handwriting.

For my STDs I used "Jellyka, Saint-Andrew's Queen" font and it came out gorgeous!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I had my sister (who is my MOH and has nice handwriting) write them all out for me. This is why you have bridesmaids... if you have a lot of projects still to do..I would delegate this task to someone else!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards