Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Matching question

Does the groomsman tie need to match the girls dresses or can it complement?

thanks,
pescadita

Re: Matching question

• Options
    It doesn't need to match at all.  They should be dressed to similar formality. 
    For expamle:
    Sundresses on the girls = searsucker or navy blazers on the guys
    Cocktail dresses = tuxes
    ballgowns = tuxes or tails.

As for colors, if the bridesmaids are wearing pastel spring tones, then the guys accents would look nice in pastel and spring tones.

A black tux with black accessories is ALWAYS a good look and you can "coordinate" the look by matching the bouttoneers to the bouquets. :)
  • Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I agree with pp.

Sometimes it looks really prom-y when the girls and tuxes/vests are the exact same color.  I really like the traditional look of black or silver ties.  

But, if you're doing suits with only ties, I think it's really cute to do just the tie matching the color of the bridesmaids. 

The groomsmen‘s ties perfectly matched the bridesmaids‘ orange ensembles.

• Options
    thanks for the advice. I think we're leaning on suits vs. tuxes.
    I'm trying to narrow down the colors for the girls and i like the vibrant purple and FI likes the vibrant apple green. Both colors will be used throughout the wedding.
  • Options

You could have the girls in purple and the guys wear green ties.  Then make sure the girls have green mixed in their flowers to tie it together! 

• Options
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_matching-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:44247145-fbdf-408c-a95e-66ecbc50840aPost:c2cd289c-38a8-4ddb-8026-da8007e02b8b">Re: Matching question</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks for the advice. I think we're leaning on suits vs. tuxes. I'm trying to narrow down the colors for the girls and i like the vibrant purple and FI likes the vibrant apple green. Both colors will be used throughout the wedding.
    Posted by 2bpescadita[/QUOTE]

In this case, why not put the girls in purple, get the GM ties in a vibrant purple, and have fi in the green? Like photo above, I think it's a nice way to have FI stand out a bit, and if you have those colors in your bouquet, it'd be fun. You could even get some shoes dyed an apple green to go with your fi's tie as a little surprise under the dress.
  • Options
    JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Things dont always have to be matchy-matchy...they just need to go together!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    We're doing khaki suits and an idea I'm throwing around is having the groomsmens and groom in the same tie but have the groom in a colored shirt and the groomsmen in a white shirt. I haven't really seen it though so i'm not sure how it would look....what do you guys think?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards