Attire & Accessories Forum

Tuxes to match ivory dress?

My bridesmaids have dark purple dresses (lapis at David's Bridal) and my dress is a light ivory color. My fiancee and his mother went to Men's Wearhouse and they said the best option would be for the groom and groomsmen to wear ivory colored shirts, but I'm afraid this might look dingy. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for what else could work?

Thanks!!

Re: Tuxes to match ivory dress?

• My bridesmaids have dark purple dresses (lapis at David's Bridal) and my dress is a light ivory color. My fiancee and his mother went to Men's Wearhouse and they said the best option would be for the groom and groomsmen to wear ivory colored shirts, but I'm afraid this might look dingy. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for what else could work?

Thanks!!
  • I'm in almost similar situation as you. My bridesmaids are wearing eggplant. We're doing two colors, "silver and eggplant" but most of the colors are eggplant. Anyways, I think the groom in "white/ivory" is very sexy/classy. I also think that the groom should stand out from the groomsmen.

What we're doing for our wedding: My groom is wearing ivory vest and tie with black jacket/pants. The groomsmen are wearing silver vest and tie with black jacket/pants. Also, the fathers of the groom/bride are wearing same thing that the groomsmen are wearing (silver vest) and our moms are thrilled because they don't have to worry about coordinating with their husbands, because silver goes with anything. 

If your dress is ivory, you should definitely go with ivory vest/tie. My groom wanted to wear white but the lady at the store brought up a good point, if I'm wearing ivory and he's wearing white, then it makes my dress look "dirty" in pictures. 
  • If it is just the shirt underneath the tux jacket and vest, a white shirt will look fine! the ivory shirts (especially from MW) do look dingy. You oculd go for a really modern look and have them wear black shirts with like a silver vest and tie too. That would look really good in photos!
    Christy Visit my wedding planning/DIY blog: http://joshandchristylovestory.blogspot.com/
  • Oh also, I forgot to mention this. Originally I wanted the groomsmen to wear the same shade of purple vest and tie, but my groom and his friends didn't like the idea. So we compromised, went with silver/grey color and they're happy. 

Remember, if your dress is ivory, he should wear ivory, so whenever you take pictures together your dress won't look "dirty" whenever you stand next to him. 
  • you're way over thinking this. ivory shirts tend to look yellow, and usually look pretty bad. just go with white. everyone does not have to match you.
  • I am also wearing an ivory (Maggie Sottero) dress, and the salesman at Men's Warehouse talked us into getting ivory shirts for the groomsmen.  They looked downright yellow in the store, but convinced me that my dress would look dingy in comparison.  After thinking about this this for several days, I requested a fabric swatch of my dress.  Sure enough, my dress was closer to a soft white shade than a true ivory, so we called MW and had the shirts changed to white.  Do whatever you're comfortable with, I have never even noticed what color of shirts the groom/groomsmen typically wear!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_tuxes-match-ivory-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:444dfc21-057c-4233-9934-1a45518a2653Post:ff237bf8-fef4-4f8d-a8b3-5399255bd10a">Re: Tuxes to match ivory dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh also, I forgot to mention this. Originally I wanted the groomsmen to wear the same shade of purple vest and tie, but my groom and his friends didn't like the idea. So we compromised, went with silver/grey color and they're happy.  <strong>Remember, if your dress is ivory, he should wear ivory, so whenever you take pictures together your dress won't look "dirty" whenever you stand next to him. </strong>
    Posted by Minimax052910[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely not true. A huge dress could never look dirty next to a hint of a shirt. Please see my signature photo.

What are the odds that an ivory shirt and dress will be the same shade of ivory? You are much better off putting the guys in white shirts.
    imageimageimage
  • My dress is an ivory/champagne colour also.  I think that the groom should be kept in mostly black, with ivory accents.  I am NOT a fan of grooms or groomsmen wearing ivory shirts, it looks too casual in my opinion.  I'd suggest having him in black with ivory accents, and then maybe try his groomsmen in ivory shirts... he should have something that looks more formal and that stands out more than his groomsmen. :)
  • You all are making me nervous! My dress is ivory and we are doing a red and ivory color scheme. We are doing black tuxes with ivory shirts, the groom's vest is ivory with a black tie, the groomsmen are wearing ivory shirts with red vests and ties. The groom will have a red bout and the g-men will get ivory bouts. We thought it looked fine...maybe we need to go back and look again...?
  • Thanks everyone for your responses! My dress is not true ivory so I don't think I'll go with the ivory shirt... or maybe the groom will have the ivory shirt with a black vest and tie. 
    I like the silver/grey idea, but here's my concern: my colors are the darker purple with a light green, like a green apple green. My bridesmaids are wearing silver shoes, so I'm thinking the silver/grey for the guys might work. What do you think?

Also, to the last post - if you think it looks fine, then I'm sure it looks fine! We weren't comfortable with what MW told us in the first place so that's why I'm analyzing :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards