New Hampshire
Options

Deposit question

FI and I were really excited when we found certain vendor.  I emailed them to set an appointment and ask about deposits.  They want 50% down at signing.

How much of a deposit did you have to put down for a photographer or videographer?

I'm kind of upset and in shock right now.  We really want them but 50% right now while trying to book other vendors is just not possible.  The amount they want is what we have to put down for everything!

Re: Deposit question

• Options
    knwithamknwitham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our photographer, videographer and hair/makeup required a 50% deposit all the others required $100-$250 for a deposit. It really sucks, I know!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you mind me asking who you went with for photography and videography?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We put $450 down when we booked our photographer and then we just paid a second deposit of $500 last month. Our remaining balance is due 3 weeks before our wedding.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    dls.1215dls.1215 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We owed 50% deposit but they were flexible with usand we did it in 3 payments.
    April 2010 January SC - Favorite Picture from the Holidays
    DH & I at the Light Festival

Anniversary

PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    ladyd522ladyd522 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We also had a 50% down payment on our photographer.

Wedding Countdown Ticker> Photobucket
  • Options
    socongruentsocongruent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our photographer asked for 50% down as well. But, we chose to do more down  to lessen the blow at the end. We interviewed three photographers in total and the pay schedule was the same for each. However, our photographer seemed to be very flexible and I'm sure if you spoke with them.. they may be willing to work with you. After all, once you sign the contract you're locked in with them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also had to put 50% down for my photographer. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours didn't. We have a deposit of $450 for a $1450 package. I guess it all depends on the vendor though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had to pay $400 to book our photographer and the balance of $1700 is due two weeks before the wedding.  Try and see if they'll be flexible and take a 25% deposit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    knwithamknwitham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using a photographic memory, but I think danielle (dls.12.15) used them as well and they were able to break her deposit into payments. I think thats def. worth asking about, thats a great idea! Wish I had thought of that!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    our photographer deposit was 1/3 of the pkg total, with the 2nd third due 2 weeks before the wedding and the final third due when our pictures are ready.

our florist deposit was $50 of the $200 total

our videographer is a friend of ours so he's letting us pay half at the wedding, half when we get our video
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I believe most all of my vendors required 50% (photographer, florist, DJ, the gown - 60%!).  The venue deposit was broken into 3 separate payments and the final payment due just before the wedding.  It does suck, but talk to your vendors and see what you can negotiate (especially given the current economy).  Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We had to put down 50% for the photographer and our florist didn't ask or one.  Our first florist was $100 deposit but then he closed on me....still a bit bitter
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mom2MPSMom2MPS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DirtyWater,
    I pm'd you
  • Options
    JuJuBee1977JuJuBee1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I have not booked my photographer just yet but my videographer required a deposit of 1/3 the total, with the remainder due 2 weeks prior.

Dj wanted a deposit of 50% but I negotiated it down to 1/3.  

hope this helps!

Jules

• Options
    mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We had to pay 1/2  the cost for the videographer's deposit also.  The photographer only needed $200 deposit.  The venue wanted a $500 deposit, and I am sending in a second installment to them on March 1st.  Ceremony musician was $75 deposit, DJ was $300 deposit, Uplighting $200 deposit, and we paid in-full for the dress.

September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards