Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Is it possible to take a fit n' flare dress and make the bottom more "straight"

i tried this dress on, did not know it was fit and flare until i got to the register and she said i got the "fit and flare." it looked trumpet if anything. the consultant said it could be made less poofy, so i ended up buying the dress. It is possible to make this bottom less fit and flare right? 

Don't pay attention to the sash and jacket lol, they both clash horribly..we were just trying a certain look.

Re: Is it possible to take a fit n' flare dress and make the bottom more "straight"

• Options
    The dress is beautiful, and if you didn't notice the cut when you had it on, why do you want to alter it? It doesn't really matter what it's labeled, as long as you like it. And I'm assuming you did or else you wouldn't have bought it.

That said, I guess you could take it to a seamstress and see if they can bring it in a few inches on either side to make the flare more straight, though that may ruin the way the dress falls and the detail work will likely not match up (again, you'd have to discuss this with a seamstress to see if that's the case.) Another option is just to take some of the crinoline out, you'll still have volume, but less poof.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_is-it-possible-to-take-a-fit-n-flare-dress-and-make-the-bottom-more-straight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:4d0d4a3a-abf3-4582-9293-04aaab194eaePost:8857e84b-95bf-4988-9406-8c430749446e">Re: Is it possible to take a fit n' flare dress and make the bottom more "straight"</a>:
    [QUOTE]The dress is beautiful, and if you didn't notice the cut when you had it on, why do you want to alter it? It doesn't really matter what it's labeled, as long as you like it. And I'm assuming you did or else you wouldn't have bought it.
    Posted by msuprincess04[/QUOTE]

This. Who cares if it is called a fit and flare?
  • Options
    I have to agree with PP.  If you liked the overall fit and style of the dress when you tried it on then why are you worried what the label says?

Also like PP said, if you really don't wany it as poofy as it is then see if your seamstress can take out a layer or two of crinoline underneath.  This should soften the poof.

• Options
    most of the stores I went to used the terms "trumpet" and "fit and flare" interchangably.  They are really close to being the same thing.  A sheath is a fitted all the way down, a mermaid just flares out at the calf area, and the A-Line typically will flare out at the waist, unless it's a drop waist A-Line, then it will flare around the hip area.  

So, I guess my point is, what difference does it make what they call the dress.  You like the way it fit before your saw the register.
  • Options
    An excellent seamstress can modify the shape to what you want.  Don't worry just find a seamstress that is confident and make sure your expectations are reasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards