Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Tell me your dress story...

2»

Re: Tell me your dress story...

• Options

Do not go alone to buy a dress listed on craigslist.. Actually.. just don't use craigslist. You might think you are buying a legit dress, but then they give you some obscure address and you find out later that its a SEX OFFENDER. Thank goodness the FI was with me or I could have been in serious trouble.

• Options
    I would say dont judge a dress on the hanger. Be Open and try different dresses.  Also always take your own bra. Most bridal salons give you undergarments.. So I decided to go without a bra to my appt. They didnt have any D bras and would not let me try on any dresses without one.. I ended up having to use a friends bra that was a size B.. too funny...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    huneamhuneam member
    First Comment
    Hold out for the good deal. I found my dress at a bridal store for over $1000 and have always been a bargain hunter. I had been searching the internet for something cheaper when one day I was on ebay and decided to search for my dress. Surprisingly, it came up! The auction had only 43 minutes left, it was my dress, brand new for $250!!! I could hardly believe it and it was my size. I bought it from a bride in California who had bought it and changed her mind. If you have the time to hunt for your dress online, its worth it!
    PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    I made sure to go on a day when I would have time to do my makeupn and hair, that way I didn't feel ugly when looking in the mirror. I took my sister and my best friend, and the consultant at the store told me to pick 3 dresses in different styles/cuts. I had told everyone that I DID NOT want a corseted back. We picked the dresses, and the first one I tried on was one that my sister had found that had a corseted back. I wasn't thrilled, but wanted to see if I would like a sweetheart neckline. I LOVED IT, and after trying on a few more dresses, I decided that the first one was THE one. Moral? Try everything, even if you think you'll hate it. You never know what will work.
  • Options
    Don't buy a dress online that does not have a return policy no matter what kind of deal you "think" your getting! I found a designer dress that I thought I loved online. While I was googling for places to find it I found a knock off dress maker where I could get it for $200 instead of $1600. I decided to take a chance. When it came it was made out of the same dress material as a play dress. Now the thing takes up half my closet and I can't get rid of it. Make sure they have a return policy!

And if your a worry wart, don't let FI talk you into trying a beautiful dress on in front of him because if you love it you will spend months trying to find something you love just as much because he saw you in it. And he will be set on it too. Way too much stress!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

It's my first post ever and this looked like the proper place to ask for help.

I have tried on dozens of dresses at 4 different stores. One dress however stood out in my mind that I completely fell in love with. There was only one problem. It not being a European dress it came up VERY short on me. I am 5'11/6'0 and have a huge complex about things being short in length on me.
    So, I was told I could have 4 inches added on plus to order it in a 14w. I was trying the 14 petite I guess. It was snug and it fit but they wanted to see if I could get some extra length out of it. It should be arriving this September.

I am losing sleep over this and I am just SO stressed I will get the dress back and it will still be to short. I went to David's Bridal and I guess come to find out afterwards they have a STRICT no return policy. Just my luck right?

The dress when I originally tried it on came to my ankles. I had to stand behind the pedestal to see what it would look like if I weren't tall. I had a hard time loving it completely because it was so short on me. But ordered it in faith that everything would be ok. Now it seems to be the only thing I can think about. I will either be crying with tears of complete joy because it actually looks great on me or I will be breaking down in tears because my wedding dress is too short still and I can't return it.

What could I do if it does come up short still? I ordered the maximum allowed length and I already plan on wearing flip flops since we will be in Cancun, Mexico.

Losing sleep and I am just dreading the alterations appt.! Has anyone else ran into this same problem?

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated!

What do you do when the dress of your dreams is still too short for you? Also, why don't people make dresses for woman who have hourglass figures and are tall???? 4 inches available to add on only is pretty pathetic IMO.

HELP!?!?

• Options
    Don't be afraid to try on things you initially didn't think you would want.  For my big shopping day, I took my mom and my future mother-in-law with me.  My mom is a bit high-strung, and my fiance's mom is more laid back.  All three of us picked dresses, and I started trying them on.  There was one I had to try: wrap style with an A-line skirt.  So, I tried that one last.

But I fell in love with the first dress!  It was wrap style, which I love, but with a ballgown.  I originally didn't want a ballgown, but once it was on, I was instantly drawn to it.  I tried on a few more after it, including the "must-try."  My fiance's mom is the one who wound up picking my dress, and partcially because I tried on more afterward, I am completely sure it's the perfect one for me.
  • Options
    Do not feel rushed or panic that you have to buy that day.  You can rush a dress and in the end having the peace of mind that you looked extensively might be better than feeling like you had to get it immediately even if your time is short.  I am a 2 dress bride.  I bought one that was pretty (not at all what I had in mind - i did not want strapless). I could not find  a single dress the first time out (3 stores) that covered my back.  So I  went with the least of all evils in my mind. I spent weeks not sleeping and trying to figure out what to do to cover up that wouldn't look matronly.
    I went dress shopping out of town with all the bridesmaids for their dresses.  Of course I am leafing through the bridal while waiting.  My mom is tagging behind and we see the perfect lace dress with a back.  One that eluded me while originally looking.  She forced me to try it on. We both cried. Over and over. This was the feeling I was waiting for. I feel terribly guilty having 2 dresses - but I will try and sell the first. Now to cut my budget in other places  just in case.  I have slept like a baby since and I wake up smiling because I cannot wait to wear it.  Who cares about the rush fee when you feel like this.
    photo c603d655-594e-44b6-a311-72f04e7a561b_zpscca2447c.jpg My Little Sweetheart Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Check to make sure your dress was actually ordered. Have the bridal shop pull your card and call the company to make sure it is in the works. I ordered my dream dress in February, received a call in May from my bridal shop saying that 'the designer didn't get my order'. Now my dress was discontinued and they are saying they can not make it! When I asked the store to show me the order form of when they ordered it... it took forever for them to 'find' it. Then came down with a hand written piece of paper. UGH!!! Long story short I found a dress somewhere else, that I am very happy with and they can get it in 3 weeks.

Check, double check and triple check. Don't have a fear of annoying the shop, you are spending the money. Putting your mind at ease is the least they can do!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    mes986mes986 member
    First Comment
    Story:

I was told my dress would be in by May, for my mid-August 2010 wedding. I was wondering why it hadn't come in by almost the end of the month, when I had a missed call from the dress shop, with no message.  Later that day, my mom called me to say that the dress shop had called her so she could break the news...instead of ordering a size 2 dress, they put 1 (one) size 2 on the order form...resulting in the delivery of a size 12 dress (which could not be altered down to a size 2).

They promised me they would have the correct size by July...as of today, June 28th, I haven't heard anything.  I'm not worried yet...but it's been an amusing story to tell  as long as it works out in the end...
  • Options

I was terrified of dress shopping and the consultant knew it as soon as I walked in the door.  She made the experience fun (I went alone so I could figure out what I liked instead of what everyone else liked) and encouraged me to try on anything and everything.  When I found 'the dress' I started crying - and she said that nothing she said or did would make me feel that way about a dress - I was just relaxed & comfortable enough that I knew.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker For two people in a marriage to live together day after day is unquestionably the one miracle the Vatican has overlooked. PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    So, I got engaged at the end of January.  By the beginning of March I had my dress picked out but it was not a simple process.
    I probably ended up trying on over 50 dresses and I just couldn't find the dress that I loved.  I did not want to spend more than $1000 on a wedding dress.  Before we went shopping I thought that was impossible because I watched shows like 'Say Yes to the Dress" but after going into just one store, I realized that it was possible.
    I took my maid of honor with me the first two days that I went shopping.  I didn't find anything but I think that has to do with the fact that my mom wasn't there shopping with me.  I was convinced I could do it myself but in all reality, I couldn't.  I went with my mom to a few places.  We went to this little boutique called Clairice's.  I went in and told the lady what I wanted and what I wanted to keep it under.  She pulled out the exact dress I had described, which was a strapless dress with a sweatheart neckline, a super full ballgown, and a super long train, and I had no idea that it existed and best of all, it was in the price range!  I was ready to buy right then but my mom wanted to go to the other place that we had an appointment at later on that afternoon.  I was crushed but I agreed.
    We went to the second appointment and I basically told the consultant that I found my dress and I am really at this appointment for my mom.  This place was significantly more expensive and said that she wouldn't be able to get a dress like that in my price range but we could try a few on that were similar to what I had described.  I tried a few dresses on and I had about given up.  The last dress that I tried on was beautiful.  It was significantly simpler but it flattered my figure so much.  It did have the sweatheart neckline but it was only an A-line dress so it wasn't as full and it had a fairly short train.  It made me look so small though!  I was torn.  I didn't know if I should get my dream wedding dress or get the dress that made my look and feel amazing. 
    I called both of my grandmas and asked if they would be able to come see me in these dresses that I had fallen in love with.  They agreed.  After the day came that we looked at the two dresses back to back, we still were stuck.  My mom's mom was difinative but that was it.  I was so confused on what I wanted...
    Two days later, my mom and I were going to go to a bridal show.  We got there and no one was there.  I assume it was cancelled.  There was a bridal shop right next door that I went to earlier with my maid of honor and tried a bunch of dresses on.  I did not like anything at all there the first time I went.  My mom and I went to look at dresses there just for fun.  I was really looking for bridesmaids dresses because I was pretty sure that I knew what dress I was getting.
    My mom went back to look at off the rack dresses because I had never even considered one.  I tried a few on and was becoming discouraged.  Finally, I found my dress.  It was not what I expected but beautiful!  I was in love because it was half price because it was a sample dress and it was amazingly beautiful.  It was still an A-line dress but it had a bigger bottom than the one I tried on before.  It was a sweatheart neckline but it wasn't as deep as the one that I had fallen in love with originally (which looking at pictures of the other dress, I'm glad I went with this one because it is more church appropriate).  It is spaghetti strap but they can be removed to make it strapless.  My favorite part of the dress is that it gathers to the right side on my hip so it makes me look super skinny (and I am not a super skinny girl).  It also opens up with a pannel underneath where it gathers.  On the pannel underneath and part of the bodess, it has pearls and light blue crystals; you can't really notice that they're blue until the lights are dimmed.  It also has a corset back which neather of the dresses had which I loved.
    I can't wait until my fiance sees me in it on our wedding day.
  • Options
    Try on lots of dresses.  I went in the shop and showed them a picture of a dress I liked that I had seen online but that dress was discontinued so thank god I didn't fall in love with the dress. 

I mostly liked the idea of the dress, the shape, the fabric etc so I let the lady pick out all different kinds of dresses of all styles.. mermaid, ballgown, A-line etc.  After trying on a few I decided A-Line was best for me. 

Then she had me try on one dress called Sabelle by Maggie Sottero and I really liked it but it felt too heavy and too much so she put "Aurelie" on me.  This was the dress I ended up ordering in the end but that day I felt like it was stunning and beautiful but I didn't know if it was the one.

I went to a few different shops to keep looking around to see if this was really the one and if there was anything else out there.... but at every shop I went to I had to try on "Aurelie" and would never want to take it off and kept looking in the mirror at all different angles and practiced walking around with it to see how it felt.. this in itself showed me that this was the one.

I ended up ordering it and it was the dress for me.  Hugged my body perfectly and showed a nice hour glass shape with the hips and all and still flared and poofed out full like I wanted.. I loved that I felt like a princess and sexy at the same time.

MY ADVICE: Try on many different styles
                         Trust the sales lady.  A dress on the rack can look completely different on you.  When I saw the dress on the rack I was unsure and would have never thought to try it on, but I am glad she had me try it on because once it was on I really felt something inside that told me this is it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    prncszprncsz member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I suggest wearing the proper undergarments when trying on the dresses. My first experience trying on dresses was with a larger retailer. They had private fitting rooms with doors and provided me with a bra and skirt to go under the dresses. The assistant came in each time and helped me get in the dress. The second place that I went to just had a curtain and provided nothing. So there I was standing there with my back facing the curtain with my nice lacey underwear on, holding my chest because no bra was provided while this little boy kept pulling my curtain back. The third place I went to and finally found "The DRESS" had a nice room with a private door. I dressed myself (brought proper undergarments and my own bra).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • Options
    My only regret is not trying on a few different styles. I found my dress and I absolutely love it! But I wish I would have tried on a ball gown, trumpet and mermaid styles. Just for the experience.
    Future Angie Ayrton
  • Options
    AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010

Here is a story for you! I always try to get the best deal. I negotiated with the salon to get a free hollow to hem measurement, meaning that the dress would be cut just right to fit me, no hemming required! They measured me in my shoes, sent the measurements away, I waited a few months, and soon enough my dress was in! I was so excited to see it... Put it on, walked to the mirror while holding onto the skirt, tears welling up in my eyes, took a deep breath, let the skirt go and.......SAW MY FEET! MY ENTIRE SHOE! The manufacturer cut my dress THREE INCHES TOO SHORT!!!! "It's okay- I'm sure it is just bunched up" the salesgirl said. It wasn't... "It's okay, they always leave more material so we can let it out. Don't worry!" she said. No, they did not leave any extra material.
     My dress is 3 inches too short!!!!! They have to MAKE A NEW ONE! I will get it, hopefully, the month before my wedding. EEekkk!!
    I now have to buy a veil without my dress, a bra without my dress, everything without my dress!!!
    The shop is wonderful, though, and I'm sure everything will work out. It just isn't that much fun right now :)
    Word to the wise: order your dress in time to deal with snafus!

Another word to the wise- Take the swatch samples outside so you can look at the colors in all different types of light. The Diamond White sure looked white when I picked it under the florescent light of the store. Its not. It is most definitely off-white, not the color I've been dreaming of since I was a little girl, but maybe the color I was meant to have, right?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My only regret was eating before trying on the dress and getting super stuffed and then not clipping at the very top! OH NO!! so NOW I must loose weight or make sure I am not going to eat fat foods right before the wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    www.mrandmrsponce.com
  • Options

I am not the typical bride and really didn't want to spend the type of money on a dress I'll only wear 1 time. Then again I wanted to look beautiful. The dress I have picked out and ordered was hundreds less then the same dress I tried on in a shop and its literally the same. Yes, I ordered my dress online. Yes, I didn't ask for anyones help or opinions when it came to how it looked. I figure, if I feel beautiful then its the right thing for me. And its perfect, no alterations needed (yet) and it saved me so much money I can now book the honeymoon my fiance really wanted to go on! All I can really say is that tradition isn't everything and the most important thing is that you get what you want, regardless how you go about it.

• Options
    Beware of store photography policy.  Many stores don't let you photograph any dress to send home to people who might not be there to help you decide.  You can photograph the dress when you decide to buy it, but none before that.  This was a sad moment for my mom because she wanted to photograph me in a floor length princess ball gown.  Guess she'll have to settle with my knee length dress :D
    Most let you photograph your bridesmaids all you want.  Bring a camera - you'll want to remember everything ^_^
    And like everyone else, be open.  I ended up purchasing the dress I picked out in the catalog, but some of the other ones were fun to try on.
    the wedded pups - large
    jason + katherine - wedded 6.18.2011
  • Options
    This is a bad one.  I watch Say Yes to the Dress and got very nervous when I saw the subtle faces the salespeople make when someone says her budget is only $2500 or $3000.  So I got a dress on Ebay for $130 including shipping.  Then got nervous again--what if it arrived and was hideous?  or never arrived at all?  Or was so small that it could not be let out to fit??  So I bought 13 more on Ebay.  All from different sellers.  Telling myself I would just resell the ones that didn't fit.  It had turned into an obsession--you can shop 24 hours a day on Ebay!  So I did.  Now I have started receiving the gorgeous gowns.  Eight have arrived.  Expecting 6 more.  All together totalling the cost of just one in a shop.  They take up tons of room!  Anyone want to buy some wedding gowns?  Lots of them.Smile
    I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine.
  • Options

I live in San Francisco and my mom and MoH live in the Seattle area so I decided to plan a whirlwind dress shopping weekend.  The first day, I found two dresses at a consignment that were $300 and $400 (which was great since we have a tight budget) and were OK.  My mom and I spent hours that night going over pics and debating.  The next morning we decided to go to one last dress shop, just to confirm that I was making the right choice.  I pulled whatever looked interesting and the first few were nice but nothing spectacular.  Then I tried on a dress that had the opposite of everything I thought I wanted.  Single strap with roses on it, asymmetrical rouching and a bodice that hit below the hip.  LOVED IT!  It looked like me and was absolutely perfect for the venue.  Tried on one more just to be sure but we walked out of the shop with the order in hand.

My one tip:  go for the dress that looks like you, just in a beautiful gown.  Too many of the dresses I tried on overwhelmed me and became the focus.  When I walk down the aisle, I want everyone to see me, especially my husband!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Once you have the dress on, take some time to just stare at yourself in the mirror. Envision your wedding day, walking down the aisle, and ask yourself if this is the dress fits into that imagine in your mind.  If it does, you're sold. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First, a quick timeline.

January 17, 2010 -  I started blogging my weight loss (www.lessofbeth.com), with a goal to lose 90 pounds by the end of this year (as of today I have 42 pounds to go!).

February 14, 2010 - My fiance proposed in front of the church where we met for the first time 4 years ago (which is a whole other amazing story in itself).

April 17, 2010 - Went wedding dress shopping with my mom for the first time at David's Bridal to get an idea of what dress styles I liked and which would flatter my figure the best. The tricky part was keeping in mind that if I chose to order a dress, I would have to make a best guess as to measurements, since I was in the process of losing weight. I found a dress style that both my Mom and I absolutely loved, but wasn't ready to commit to it yet being that we were so early on in the dress hunt. Fast forward to...

May 23, 2010 - Having lost about 40 pounds by this point, I took several bags of "never again" clothes to a consignment store, and was instructed to return the next day to pick up any items that the store didn't want. This is where the story really gets interesting...

The next day, having not been able to sleep at all the previous night for some reason, I decided to go into work early. Around 3pm that afternoon, I was finished working for the day, and headed to the consignment store to pick up the items that the store didn't want. I ended up with 4 bags of clothes back in my life, and planned to drop them off at the Goodwill on the way home. As I was driving home, I remembered that I had seen a craigslist ad for a small resale shop near my house (literally down the street from where my fiance proposed, strangely enough), advertising that they had some wedding dresses for sale. I decided to stop by and take a look. Well, imagine my surprise when I pull up to the store and see the exact dress I'd tried on at David's Bridal in the window. As I walked in, I noticed that the store was closing at 4:30pm, which is when I would normally be getting off work, but I had gone in early so I was there before closing time. I approached the dress in the window, and realized that it was not only the dress I had fallen in love with, but it was in the color I wanted as well. Struggling to believe that this was actually happening, I asked the manager to check the size - a 14. Now, at this time, I was wearing a 12 in street clothes, but I knew that bridal sizing is different, and that I would have some flexibility with the size due to the corset back. My heart started beating a little faster. Then, I asked the manager to check the price of the dress. Heart palpitations began in earnest as he told me it was only $168!!! Also, the dress had been donated after being cleaned and preserved in a bridal dress box. Finally realizing that there was no reason to avoid the inevitable, with the help of one of the sales clerks I tried on the dress in a tiny dressing area. We laughed together as I explained that I had already tried on this same dress style a month earlier. The dress fit me almost perfectly, but was just a tiny bit too small, which in my case was actually a good thing, seeing as how I plan to lose a couple more sizes by the wedding (in December). I looked at myself in the mirror and couldn't believe that I was looking at my dress, but what happened next sealed the deal. As I was admiring the dress and double-checking to make sure there were no major stains or tears (and there weren't), the manager approached me and asked if I happened to have anything to donate with me, and handed me a coupon for 20% off of a single item when accompanied by a donation. I had 4 bags of clothes to donate just outside in my car!!! I just about fell over from the shock. Oh, and did I mention that the dress has no beading along the sides, making it a simple alteration if I do need to have it taken in? And that the dress is the perfect length for my height? And that it already has bustle points sewn in? All in all, I got a dress that would have been over $800 new for $138!

Last week I found the perfect veil to go with the dress and got to bring the majority of my bridal party with me to help pick it out. I never in a million years would have thought that my veil would cost twice as much as my dress, and certainly wouldn't have expected that even with that, the total for both would be less than $400. Sometimes things work out for a reason...and if you think this story is amazing, ask me sometime about my engagement ring!

Shared by an amazingly lucky bridal bargainista,

Beth

• Options
    I'm going to repeat the "keep an open mind" advice that's been mentioned. Also, be creative! You don't have to go to a fancy wedding dress shop to find your perfect gown.

I was at the Mall of America one day with my best friend/MOH and her sister. We were just kind of wandering around an walked past this store that sells prom dresses. I noticed some white dresses inside and asked my friends if they felt like indulging my whim. I tried on a bunch of white prom dresses and among them was the perfect one. I bought it and took it home that day.

The funniest part was that it was the height of prom season, so all these girls were there with their moms looking for prom dresses, and as I tried on mine a couple of the moms commented "you look like you're getting married." I laughed and told them I was.
  • Options
    The best advice I received was to try on ALL different styles. Only one of the dresses I pulled out of a magazine looked good on me and my dress is not like anything I thought would EVER look good on me. I thought I wanted cap sleeves or halter top, fitted at the waist and flared out. My mom and I even talked about getting something that looked like a wedding dress versus an evening gown. Well, dress #17 is charmeuse, with straps, low cut back and does not hide a thing. I put it on, was in shock, and knew I couldn't leave the store without it. No tears like on "Say Yes to the Dress"...just happiness.

The other thing that is important is to buy from a bridal salon where they treat you well. So many salespeople were either too busy for me or were snotty. The ladies at the shop where I bought my dress have been fabulous (through two fittings and all!)...the owner even personally fitted me.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_tell-dress-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:50821e9f-cd1a-46b0-a5f4-aa5169e731dcPost:748416d1-f7f4-4627-b137-62409d0e9962">Re: Tell me your dress story...</a>:
    [QUOTE]First, a quick timeline. January 17, 2010 -  I started blogging my weight loss ( <a href="http://www.lessofbeth.com" rel="nofollow">www.lessofbeth.com</a> ), with a goal to lose 90 pounds by the end of this year (as of today I have 42 pounds to go!). February 14, 2010 - My fiance proposed in front of the church where we met for the first time 4 years ago (which is a whole other amazing story in itself). April 17, 2010 - Went wedding dress shopping with my mom for the first time at David's Bridal to get an idea of what dress styles I liked and which would flatter my figure the best. The tricky part was keeping in mind that if I chose to order a dress, I would have to make a best guess as to measurements, since I was in the process of losing weight. I found a dress style that both my Mom and I absolutely loved, but wasn't ready to commit to it yet being that we were so early on in the dress hunt. Fast forward to... May 23, 2010 - Having lost about 40 pounds by this point, I took several bags of "never again" clothes to a consignment store, and was instructed to return the next day to pick up any items that the store didn't want. This is where the story really gets interesting... The next day, having not been able to sleep at all the previous night for some reason, I decided to go into work early. Around 3pm that afternoon, I was finished working for the day, and headed to the consignment store to pick up the items that the store didn't want. I ended up with 4 bags of clothes back in my life, and planned to drop them off at the Goodwill on the way home. As I was driving home, I remembered that I had seen a craigslist ad for a small resale shop near my house (literally down the street from where my fiance proposed, strangely enough), advertising that they had some wedding dresses for sale. I decided to stop by and take a look. Well, imagine my surprise when I pull up to the store and see the exact dress I'd tried on at David's Bridal in the window. As I walked in, I noticed that the store was closing at 4:30pm, which is when I would normally be getting off work, but I had gone in early so I was there before closing time. I approached the dress in the window, and realized that it was not only the dress I had fallen in love with, but it was in the color I wanted as well. Struggling to believe that this was actually happening, I asked the manager to check the size - a 14. Now, at this time, I was wearing a 12 in street clothes, but I knew that bridal sizing is different, and that I would have some flexibility with the size due to the corset back. My heart started beating a little faster. Then, I asked the manager to check the price of the dress. Heart palpitations began in earnest as he told me it was only $168!!! Also, the dress had been donated after being cleaned and preserved in a bridal dress box. Finally realizing that there was no reason to avoid the inevitable, with the help of one of the sales clerks I tried on the dress in a tiny dressing area. We laughed together as I explained that I had already tried on this same dress style a month earlier. The dress fit me almost perfectly, but was just a tiny bit too small, which in my case was actually a good thing, seeing as how I plan to lose a couple more sizes by the wedding (in December). I looked at myself in the mirror and couldn't believe that I was looking at my dress, but what happened next sealed the deal. As I was admiring the dress and double-checking to make sure there were no major stains or tears (and there weren't), the manager approached me and asked if I happened to have anything to donate with me, and handed me a coupon for 20% off of a single item when accompanied by a donation. I had 4 bags of clothes to donate just outside in my car!!! I just about fell over from the shock. Oh, and did I mention that the dress has no beading along the sides, making it a simple alteration if I do need to have it taken in? And that the dress is the perfect length for my height? And that it already has bustle points sewn in? All in all, I got a dress that would have been over $800 new for $138! Last week I found the perfect veil to go with the dress and got to bring the majority of my bridal party with me to help pick it out. I never in a million years would have thought that my veil would cost twice as much as my dress, and certainly wouldn't have expected that even with that, the total for both would be less than $400. Sometimes things work out for a reason...and if you think this story is amazing, ask me sometime about my engagement ring! Shared by an amazingly lucky bridal bargainista, Beth
    Posted by bethandmichael2010[/QUOTE]

That is an amazing story,  You found the dress that you already loved, but for a better price.. very smart.. a lot of girls are weary of consignment shops but if you look it over and it looks close to perfect, then you found an amazing deal. and it is what you wanted in the first place too, so that's a plus.. that you didn't settle on any cheaper price gown.. your lucky you found the one you loved
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards