New Hampshire
Options

First Dance Song

FI and I really like "Someone Like You" by Van Morrison. A friend of mine got married last year and that was their first dance song. Okay? Not okay? Would you be miffed? I don't think I'd be, but I want to know what others think. Thanks!

**Only 2 guests will have gone to both weddings besides last year's bride and groom

Re: First Dance Song

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Love that song!!

• Options
    FireDancer04FireDancer04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly the only people that will notice will be last years bride and groom. I doubt the other couple will notice. If thats what you want to use than use it. Brides & Grooms don't have claims to song choices, wedding colors, etc. 
  • Options
    mrussell1983mrussell1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP. To add, if it is something that is special to you and FI the I wouldn't think twice about it. I try my best to be considerate and fair, but part of me thinks that if they are the kind of people who would be miffed then they weren't worth considering in the first place. Hopefully the will be able to enjoy the moment by being happy for you and also by being able to look back at their own experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm one of those who remembers things, but I'm honestly a rare breed. Our song is "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green and it was my cousin's song a few years back. About 80% of the guests will have heard it from her wedding, but my mom said that I'm the only person who remembers it was my cousin's song, too. After a lot of hemming and hawing I finally said, "We love it, so we're doing it." I say, if you love it, do it. Honestly, you're probably the only person who remembers it was someone else's song ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit NewHampshire.Weddings.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd have to say you're fine.  I really want to use "god blessed the broken road" by the Rascall Flatts even though a lot of people use it.  FI's friend (who was going to be a GM but is deployed in Iraq and won't be able to make it to the wedding) used it last year for his wedding. 

We're also getting married at the same ceremony site as FI's brother and using the same color BM dresses just by pure accident.  Personally I'm not going to change my site that I've wanted well before I met FI because someone else had the same great idea! 

Personally it's not like other people own songs, ceremony, venue sites etc.  Eventually someone is going to have something simliar.  I think you should be fine esp if it was a while ago.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They got married in June of '09. We're July of '10. I think we're going to do it. I know the other guests won't notice, and I really really really don't think the couple will care. In fact I can hear her saying, "That was our song! I love it! It's so great that you picked it too!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards