New Hampshire

Hotel Help in Portsmouth!

Hi ladies! 

My wedding is set for exactly a year from today and we're going to have lots of out of towners coming up.  I've started making calls to block off rooms at a hotel near Lee, NH (ideally Portsmouth) but have been hitting some major roadblocks.

Most of the hotels there apparently are run by the same company and will only block rooms 6 months prior - they hold off to ensure that they don't have a wedding booked in their space.  6 months seems a bit crazy to wait, since we need to be printing and sending out invitations.

Is this the norm?  Any suggestions??

Re: Hotel Help in Portsmouth!

• I would recommend calling the Sheraton in Portsmouth!
  • MOG730MOG730 member
    First Comment
    Have you tried Comfort Inn?  Talk to Chris. It's no frills, but clean and Portsmouth.
  • I've left two messages at the Sheraton. Not impressed with their lack of customer service so far. And thank you, I'll look into the Comfort Inn.
  • Why do you need to be printing and sending invitations so early?  Most people don't send them until at least 3 months before the wedding, which is why it's perfectly fine to block hotel rooms 'only" 6 months before the wedding. 
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • I think I booked my block of hotel rooms right before I sent out the invites...like PP said, the 3 month mark. I think it might be a bit early for you to be looking at blocking the rooms off. I'd wait a while.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_hotel-help-in-portsmouth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:5d572ef1-2425-4055-9d80-9312943b7842Post:ae853bb4-ee48-46a5-8602-d07b3d94371c">Hotel Help in Portsmouth!</a>:
    The Holiday Inn Express Durham - closest hotel to Lee/Flag Hill, I happen to work there : )

[QUOTE]Hi ladies!  My wedding is set for exactly a year from today and we're going to have lots of out of towners coming up.  I've started making calls to block off rooms at a hotel near Lee, NH (ideally Portsmouth) but have been hitting some major roadblocks. Most of the hotels there apparently are run by the same company and will only block rooms 6 months prior - they hold off to ensure that they don't have a wedding booked in their space.  6 months seems a bit crazy to wait, since we need to be printing and sending out invitations. Is this the norm?  Any suggestions??
    Posted by jaxie63[/QUOTE]
  • We just used the Marriott Residence Inn and the Hilton (owned by same people).  Worked out great.  Plus the Residence Inn inlcudeds breakfast!

• Have you looked into the hotels up in Dover off of exit 9?  I know that Portsmouth is the ideal spot for guests, but Dover may be a little cheaper per night because it is not in Portsmouth.  Also, speaking from experience, you do not need to have the room block in place 6 months in advance.  Most invitation vendors will try to deter you from ordering your invitations too early, because anything can happen.  My reception venue closed 5 months before my 7.7.07 wedding causing me to rush to find a new venue.  Can you imagine if I had ordered my invitations 6 months in advance?  And trust me, I was an overly organized bride, so it would have been like to me to want to have all of that stuff in place....but a lot of vendors will hold you off til a few months or even weeks before the wedding.  Good luck though! Sounds like you have it all together!!
    Married 7/7/2007 TTC 10/11 BFP 7/7/12 EDD 3/16/13 Ruptured Ectopic 7/20/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards