July 2012 Weddings
Options

Slight change of plans

We have had a slight reception change of plans.  Instead of having a dinner reception after the ceremony we are having a late lunch reception.  We have our reception venue from 4 pm until 11 pm and we are wanting to make the best use of that time.  We are having a cake reception after the ceremony instead.  We are having stuff like meat and veggie trays, fruit trays, salads, chicken strips and a bunch of other stuff from Publix. It will give us a little bit more time to spend with our guests and make the best of the huge time period we have the shelter at our venue.

3 months 3 weeks and 3 days until July 21st.  I really need to get invitations addressed. 
Cate Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Slight change of plans

• Options
    It sounds like a good idea in theory and it sounds like your reasons are valid. But just to warn you, I would serve more than what you're mentioning if you expect people to stay until 9/10/11PM. If I was going to be at a wedding that entire time I would expect a full meal. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    4-11 PM still sounds like the hours of a dinner reception. We have ours 4:30-11PM and are doing a full dinner. I would make it as clear as you can to your guests what to expect / not expect in terms of food, b/c otherwise they'll expect a meal. Have some of your family help you send out the word that they should have a big lunch before the ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with what the pp said. That's a large amount of time to expect guests to be at a reception, over the dinner hour without serving a full meal. Make sure to be clear about what will will not be available or you run the risk of many of your guests leaving early to go and have dinner.
    :)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MadisonpennyMadisonpenny member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I agree "late lunch" ends at about 3-3:30 and dinner starts at around 4pm.  Either way your guests are going to be hungry.  I don't know if your going from a sit-down or buffet reception to a hors d'eouvre style but either way if your doing it for budget reasons you may want to price this out if you haven't already.  You'll need more than just what you'd get for a cocktail hour because this is replacing a person meal.

I think I mentioned this before but my cousin had this instead of a regular meal and she ran out of food because A- she didn't warn people that there was no meal and B- they obviously didn't order enough in anticipation of everyone being so hungry because it was dinner hour.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    I def agree with ppl.  Unless properly warned I would not be happy if I showed up to a reception at 430pm and was not served dinner.  Also even if I am warned I would most likely leave around 9pm so that I could catch a late dinner.

My other question is- will you be serving alcohol?  If so I would really reconsider the small amount of food over such a long period you could have a room full of drunk people. 
  • Options
    Yea, I would definitely be expecting a full dinner if i was attending a reception from 4pm-11pm.  People will be very confused and perhaps disappointed if they are not clearly warned on your invitations. I would expect a longer than normal cocktail hour - perhaps 4 until 5:30, then seating for dinner, then dinner, then dancing. 

Just because you have the venue for that entire time doesn't mean you have to use it for the entire time.  We have our ballroom until midnight, but are planning to wrap up around 11 or so.   Same goes for you - you could always start an hour later, for example.  

I did go to one wedding a few years ago - the ceremony was at, like, noon or something, then the "reception" was at 2 or 3pm. Everyone was SO confused about what it was supposed to be - they had a bunch of lunch meats and snacks and no alcohol at it.  It was fine, but we hadn't been warned on the invitations of what the reception would be like. We had eaten lunch before hand and weren't ready for dinner so we just kind of snacked our way through the afternoon and left pretty early to go have dinner....you don't want guests feeling like they have to do this. 
  • Options
    Where do you live where lunch is 4-11 pm?

Not trying to be rude, but I'd be pissed if I arrived at a reception during supper time and was told "here have a veggie tray". I wouldn't be sticking around either.

Just because you have the venue that entire time, doesn't mean you have to use it that entire time. I have my venue from the Friday at 12 pm until Sunday at 6 pm. I'm definitely not using it that entire time.

Also, ditto the alcohol question. You're putting yourself in a really dangerous situation. That is not enough food if you are serving alcohol the entire time.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, if I knew a reception was considered late lunch and started at 4, I'd be expecting to leave by 6 or 7 so I can get dinner. There's no way I'd stay that late. If you do this you're either going to get grumbles or 80% of your guests leaving early.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • Options
    I definitely agree with the other girls, you are commiting to serving dinner if your wedding lands during dinner hours. If you don't plan to serve a meal, I would change your venue hours to land between times where meals are not served. 1-5pm? If budget is an issue maybe look at other food options that are cheap to serve large amounts of people. Like a make your own taco station. My friend did a huge mexican food buffet setup at her wedding and it was super reasonable for price and it filled everyone up. Another idea is italian buffet style with lasagna, salad, breadsticks, I know that can be fairly reasonable as well. Or even bbq style food like bbqed chicken, hot dogs, burgers, etc just something to give your guests "dinner".
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_slight-change-of-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:045098e0-6044-456f-88ee-60bde05b05c8Post:d13d8de6-3c8e-48b2-83f6-ccd09adbf937">Re: Slight change of plans</a>:
    [QUOTE]It sounds like a good idea in theory and it sounds like your reasons are valid. But just to warn you, I would serve more than what you're mentioning if you expect people to stay until 9/10/11PM. If I was going to be at a wedding that entire time I would expect a full meal. 
    Posted by MeaganR12[/QUOTE]

We aren't actually planning on having the reception go that long.  That is just how long they gave it to us. 
  • Options
    Okay so I forgot to say yesterday that this is will be before the wedding.  Our ceremony is at 7 PM.  So it is not like we are having the wedding at 4 and then all the food and stuff from after until 11.  I was also just informed today that FI is going to get at least 20-30 pizzas from the little pizza place on the island for the after the wedding cake reception.  There will be no alcohol served by us.  If guests want to drink they can go buy drinks from the hotel bar. Reception is at the picnic area next tto the hotel not owned by the hotel. We are probably going to be done with everything by 9 at the latest.  We are planning on going down and getting our food in June.  Publix will work with their customers to help get exactly how much food will be needed.  So now that I feel extremely stupid for not explaining this better I will try to talk to FI about if this is really what is wanted.
  • Options
    BmoreBride311BmoreBride311 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Hmm interesting. So you guys will be at the "late lunch reception" with your guests before the ceremony? Sorry, I'm still a little confused with your plans.

Is this basically what you're saying:

4-7PM - Publix snack reception
    7-7:30PM - Ceremony
    7:30-9 PM - Pizza and cake reception

I think that would be fine, food-wise, but I would have expected the dinner food (i.e. pizzas) to be before the ceremony and the cake afterwards. But maybe I'm still confused!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards