Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Gown Shopping - Can't Commit!

I'm having trouble visualizing what the dresses will actually look like once they are my size and can't commit to a purchase (particularly because I love the mermaid/trumpet, which may look unproportional if too much is taken off the bottom)! I have tried on gowns that come in petite, but haven't found any to try on.

I saw on the board a lot of recommendations for sample shopping...any tips for a petite bride on where to shop for sample gowns? The majority of sample gowns I have tried on are several sizes too big (with the excpetion of David's Bridal and I wasn't impressed with their staff or selection).

Here's an example of two gowns that I like while I am standing on the stool, compared to when I am standing on the floor so that you can see my dilemma :)

June 2013 Sig

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Gown Shopping - Can't Commit!

• Options
    rooney2012rooney2012 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    sorry... still trying to find a way to get the photo clear.
    The images on the left are of me standing on a stool and being about a foot taller. The images on the right are the exact same gowns, but my actual height.
    June 2013 Sig

• Options
    I like the 3rd one alot
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    Pretty sure you posted these dresses before.  My comment is still the same, I prefer the bottom one.  The top dress.....the bottom of it looks like the tutu I wore in 2nd grade.  Just not my style.

As for how it will fit altered.....have you asked the alterations person what they will do?
  • Options
    I did post the image of my with no stool before, but I felt to get my question answered it would be helpful to have a visual of the difference btwn heights.

This shop doesn't have alterations and the gowns only comes in 60" hollow to hem. A staff member told me what alterations probably would need to be done, but I still coudn't visualize it. Especially in the second gown, which would need a lot done to bring the waist up.

Any suggestions of where to try on petite gowns?
    Thanks!
    June 2013 Sig

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I think what OP is saying is the pictures are of just 2 dresses, the pics on the
    left are of her standing on the pedestal and the pics on the right are the same
    dresses, with her standing on the floor.

*what the hell is going on with centering?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    i had the same issue with dress shopping i couldnt picture how they would look in the right size since they were several sizes too big. i never had the this is the one moment and i came across a sample dress for a good price and ended up paying 200$ to have it altered to my size but it still came in much less then the dress would have cost buying it in my size. I wish i could have found "the" dress but its hard when you drowned in all the dresses, no matter how they clamp you in its really hard to picture how it will fit and where the waist will fall etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_gown-shopping-cant-commit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:7388653a-af64-4407-8458-54cacececb71Post:d0ad7e1e-e2eb-4ad6-a589-b4736915533b">Re: Gown Shopping - Can't Commit!</a>:
    [QUOTE]i had the same issue with dress shopping i couldnt picture how they would look in the right size since they were several sizes too big. i never had the this is the one moment and i came across a sample dress for a good price and ended up paying 200$ to have it altered to my size but it still came in much less then the dress would have cost buying it in my size.<strong> I wish i could have found "the" dress but its hard when you drowned in all the dresses, no matter how they clamp you in its really hard to picture how it will fit and where the waist will fall etc.</strong>
    Posted by mrsbehnke[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I feel. I think, "this <em>could </em>be the one" and never that certainty because I wonder what it will actually look like. The dresses pictured were size 10 and 12 and I'm a 2 in that designer. Hollow to hem the dresses were 60". That's above my head.

BTW, I'm in Milwaukee too... where'd you end up buying?
    June 2013 Sig

• Options
    I don't have any advice, just wanted to say I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 5'1" and fairly thin. I haven't started dress shopping yet and am a bit nervous. David's Bridal will be my first stop because they have a petite line and are the only ones I know of who do. I know buying a 'regular' gown will require extensive alterations including chopping a few inches off the bottom and that bums me out, but I don't want to just pick a DB petite gown just because I'm short, you know?
    I think with the sample sale, if you can find one in your area, you'll still have the same issue of it being way too long. You would save money though overall because the dress wouldn't cost as much but you'd still be paying for alterations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_gown-shopping-cant-commit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:7388653a-af64-4407-8458-54cacececb71Post:00e924d2-73b3-4c16-9d3c-4fe7786164a8">Re: Gown Shopping - Can't Commit!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have any advice, just wanted to say I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 5'1" and fairly thin. I haven't started dress shopping yet and am a bit nervous. David's Bridal will be my first stop because they have a petite line and are the only ones I know of who do. I know buying a 'regular' gown will require extensive alterations including chopping a few inches off the bottom and that bums me out, but I don't want to just pick a DB petite gown just because I'm short, you know? I think with the sample sale, if you can find one in your area, you'll still have the same issue of it being way too long. You would save money though overall because the dress wouldn't cost as much but you'd still be paying for alterations.
    Posted by HoneyBunny13[/QUOTE]

Just a tip: not all of David's gowns come in petite. None of Vera's White collection do. I'm also 5'1'' and tried on one of her gowns. I was told that even with alterations, I would lose so much of the train that it wouldn't look like the same dress. However, I thought I came across a post that said Oleg Cassini does.

Also, when you go, they will have you fill out a form with your name and info... I was rushed through and didn't notice that I was actually signing up to receive mailings and phone calls. I get so much junk in the mail from them and phone calls from Mary Kay now because of them.

Best of luck to you. Let me know how shopping goes! I have an appt this Sunday at a store that carries several designers I like. Hopefully I find something!
    June 2013 Sig

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards