Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Vote For My Colors

I keep going back and forth...needless to say, wanting all your opinions!  Sidenote: Mom HATES pink (I know it's not her wedding but she is paying AND I really respect her input--she wants Gold and Eggplant) 

Wedding: October 1---Theme: Eh, we're doing a tiny bit of "fall" here and there but mostly just focusing on colors.  FI likes either/or--so that's no help.  BM's don't care, haha.  Only my mom is giving an opinion and I really like both and think I would be happy with either/or, I'm leaning slightly towards the magenta, etc. because it is really pretty but like I said, mom hates pink.

Anyways, opinions/votes/etc. please.  Thank you ladies, I appreciate it!

Color Combo 1 Eggplant, Magenta and Cornflower

Knot Inspired...love this pic :)

Color Combo 2 Eggplant and Gold with accents of Light Gold/Ecru

Re: Vote For My Colors

• Options
    I like the second combo, but I love the first.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_vote-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:75e2463e-eea6-4bac-93bb-738c5df7b4c2Post:bcd59d94-4f49-4a2b-9b51-e3f0209eaa86">Re: Vote For My Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the second combo, but I love the first.
    Posted by ring_pop[/QUOTE]

YOUR wedding was gorgeous! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_vote-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:75e2463e-eea6-4bac-93bb-738c5df7b4c2Post:a4f2fe9d-6867-4b76-ab62-ed4f9c6c02ef">Re: Vote For My Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vote For My Colors : YOUR wedding was gorgeous! 
    Posted by future-mrs[/QUOTE]
    Thank you!
    I had another thought, if you really want to do colour combo #1, you could just keep the magenta really minimal... nothing too in-your-face. A couple of magenta flowers in the bouquets, a sash or ribbon here and there, and your mom will hardly notice. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    I feel like the first suggestion will look more "thrown together" and the second option will look like you thought about it. I'm not crazy with those three bold colors.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2010
    I like the second.  I think it would be beautiful for fall.  While the first is OK, I don't like the 3 different colored BM dresses.  But you could do all eggplant dresses, and just use the blue and pink as accents.
  • Options
    I think the magenta really makes the eggplant pop beautifully.  I like the earlier suggestion of only incorporating it in small details.  Also, eggplant tends to come out really muted in photos.  The magenta will bring out the purple tones, keeping it from looking brown in your pictures!
  • Options
    From your description, you like the first option better.  Go for it!  It's your wedding, but funky if you want to!
  • Options
    I'd say go with the first combo and just keep the magenta to a minimum. Also make sure mom knows that she's free to wear whichever color she wants and that she's not bound to the magenta.

Put together some ideas in a scrapbook form and show them to mom so that she can see how the colors fit together. Maybe she's just worried about how they'll mesh.
  • Options
    im partial to the eggplant, seems more "put together" to me.
  • Options
    What about just doing the magenta and plum?  If you want the cornflower just use it minimally.  Just a thought....

~Heidi
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It is your wedding, so do what you want.  But to please your mom add a touch of what she likes with what you like.  I voted for the Eggplant, Magenta, Cornflower.  I love the combo especially for fall!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Even though your mom is paying, you should be able to pick your own colors, after all it is YOUR wedding. I'm impartial to gold, so I chose the gold and eggplant. That would be a beautiful combination! I didn't really like the colors of the bridesmaid dresses in the first choice, I think the second choice looks much more elegant and beautiful. 

In the end do what you and FI thinks looks best and keep your mom's opinions out of your head when making that decision. 

• Options
    I voted for combo 2 but I like combo 1 better. I only voted for combo 2 because it will be October. The other colors look too bright for fall, but hey, it's always cool to go against tradition. I'd say stick with your gut feeling. Even though your mom hates pink, if you really want it, just do it. Hope this helped! Smile
  • Options
    You will only get married once so pick what you love.  Just because your mom is paying doesn't mean that she gets to take over your day.  If you really want magenta (which btw, I don't think looks very good with the eggplant and cornflower), go for magenta because in the end, it is your day and it would be sad if you had any regrets about that day.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I voted for color combo #2 because I'm not really feeling the cornflower blue with the eggplant and magenta; and I'm not feeling the cornflower blue for fall.  What about eggplant, magenta, and gold?
  • Options
    i really like #1 in theory...but as I get further into my own wedding planning I am realizing how hard to it is to get the exact right colors (ie for invitations, flowers, centerpieces, favors, basically anything that you have to pick colors for). For example, I am using a specific color of green- and it's hard to find that exact shade. So I voted for #2.  I think it will be more practical/easier to find things in gold or eggplant compared to trying to match 3 different colors- plus it's a gorgeous fall wedding color combo! Good luck!
  • Options
    if your torn why dont you combine.. tak out the pink and add some gold, or ecru..?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_vote-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:75e2463e-eea6-4bac-93bb-738c5df7b4c2Post:5dcc3dab-afcc-418a-a5de-98b44fc47f7e">Re: Vote For My Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]i really like #1 in theory...but as I get further into my own wedding planning I am realizing how hard to it is to get the exact right colors (ie for invitations, flowers, centerpieces, favors, basically anything that you have to pick colors for). For example, I am using a specific color of green- and it's hard to find that exact shade. So I voted for #2.  I think it will be more practical/easier to find things in gold or eggplant compared to trying to match 3 different colors- plus it's a gorgeous fall wedding color combo! Good luck!
    Posted by Lbrace[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this...my colors are Tiffany's Blue, black and silver...do you know how hard it is to match that shade of blue?!?!?!  i like the combination of the first choice (my first combo was pink and orange, but the wedding was moved from april to october, so i changed it) but i agree that the second choice will look more elegant, and more "fall-like".  But it is your wedding, so ultimately, your decision.  Best of luck!
  • Options
    I'm getting married in November. My favorite color is pink, but I wanted to do a bold color statement for Fall. I chose eggplant bill levkoff dresses. I will be doing purple and berries in my flowers, but fall is full of bold colors. You could tie your mom's gold option in by doing bold orange and purple bouquets.  I've seen this combo and LOVE it! You could do purple and always ask your florist for ways to tie in pinks, browns, and golds. They should be able to work with your desires and show you different options and pick the best one for your style/personality! Hope this helps!
  • Options
    i loveee the first one its bold and beautiful... if u wanna play it a little more safe go with the second one... but i deff love the first good luck girl xoxox
  • Options
    Go with the eggplant & gold (or silver) as the main color combo & have pink as the accent color.  That way your mom is happy & the pink will really pop in the pix. 
  • Options
    I think the second color combination is more classic, but's still very on trend.  Years from now, it would look better in pictures, I think.  I'm getting married in October, too, and I'm planning to use some shade of purple (plum or eggplant) and a green (maybe sage).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Why not compromise and do eggplant and cornflower? That would leave out the pink your mom "hates" but allow you to still have the fun combo.
  • Options
    I love #1, because i like the idea of having 2 colors.

Clearly, you're doing eggplant, but did you think about doing purple and gold with either the magenta or the blue?  Having the second color with the gold would give you some more options to add dimension to decor.

For the record, I voted for number 1.
  • Options
    LOL!  Thank you so much for all the opinions ladies.  Funny enough, it's about half and half, hehe.  The more I started "looking" for ideas and things in colors...the Eggplant/Gold/Ecru will be easier and it is a little "safer".  It has grown on me quite a bit so at this point I think we're really leaning that direction plus, it's more "fall" to me.   I'm an OCD/perfectionist.  I want everything to match and be very... uniform, if that's the right word, so I think that would be easier to do anyways with the Eggplant and Gold. 

And mom, told me yesterday, it is my wedding, it is up to me, go with whatever I want...hehe!  So...after much thought and your responses (thanks again!) I think I'll stick with the Eggplant/Gold. 

Check out my Planning Bio in my siggy to see some of the ideas I've come up with so far.

Laughing
  • Options
    i say go with number two both are good but i feel like number 2 is better for that time of year
  • Options
    I love the second combo! It's so classic and timeless. Also, the light bouquets really POP against the dark BM dresses. I'm getting married in September and we just found our BM dresses on the weekend! #6493 from Alfred Angelo, in eggplant! Our wedding will be formal and traditional, and I think eggplant complements that tone. I hate gold, though, so our accent colour will most likely be some sort of silver/pewter and maybe some light green (in the flowers). My Mom is actually not so comfortable with the eggplant (she would probably prefer white + light pinks as our colours) and she is paying for the wedding, but I am being firm with my choice of eggplant and she is now loving it. Good luck, and it's all about compromise and choosing your battles... but in the end, it's your wedding! :)
  • Options
    I'm not voting for either option.  My vote would be to combine them.  I would lose the blue (it doesn't seem fallish to me) and go with this: Purple with accents of Magenta and Gold.  That way you are happy because you get your pink, and your mom is happy because the pink isn't too overdone, the main color would still be purple.  I think it would look really great, too.  It is YOUR wedding after all, and not your mom's, like you said.  I understand your concern to make her happy, though.  I think this would be a good compromise.
  • Options
    I am doing the eggplant, magenta and cornflower for my wedding in September (also found the combination on the knot) so i obviously love that combination. I am focusing on the eggplant and the cornflower with smaller magenta accents (which could be a compromise with your mom). BUT the farther I get into planning the more I realize how difficult it is to find these colors. It's really turning more into purple, pink and blue because eggplant, magenta and cornflower in the shades i want is turning out to be very difficult.
  • Options
    Although I'm not typically a huge fan of gold, I prefer the second combination.  I'm sure the colors in option one could be lovely, it's just a bit trendy and a bit much altogether for my personal taste.  Magenta and coneflower probably wouldn't be colors that I would pick for a fall wedding either; that many bright colors together are better suited for summer, I think.  That said, do whatever will make you happiest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards