New Hampshire

Question about booking hotel blocks

Hi ladies!

I seek your wisdom! :) How soon should I book a block of rooms for my wedding? We have some out of town guests coming in (not a ton) and myself, FI, our parents, and the BP will need to stay in hotel rooms the night before our wedding as we have a morning ceremony.

Also, how do I go about this? Should I just estimate how many people will be staying and call different hotels? Also, do we pay to book a block? I'm clueless about this one and would greatly appreciate your help! Also, any recommendations for hotels in the Hampstead/Salem area? Thanks ladies!
Anniversary

Re: Question about booking hotel blocks

• knwithamknwitham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a room block @ the Comfort Suites in Haverhill and it was SUPER EASY! I was anticipating this horrible process, and it wasn't at all. I basically just called them and asked to speak to the person in charge of room blocks, and I asked her how the process works. At the Comfort Suites they have a wedding room block rate for the entire month, so anyone who has a room block during that month all gets the same rate, for me in May it was $79.95. She asked how many rooms I was anticipating, but said it didn't matter how many I ended up reserving. There was no deposit or contract required. If 20 rooms were booked under our rate code there was (1) complimentary room awarded. She also assured me they have never had a problem with selling out and not having enough rooms, so that is why I wasn't required to 'hold' a certain amount of rooms, she said if it ever got close to selling out, she would let me know.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! We were looking at the comfort Suites! I will give them a call today!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    When to do it depends on your date and what is happening that weekend in terms of events in your town. My date is 9/24, which also happens to be NASCAR weekend in NH! So I was told (rightly, as it turned out) to get my rooms blocked ASAP after booking my venue. When I called the 3 hotels in Dover that we booked rooms for, the sales woman told me that mine were the last blocks she could do because that weekend was filling up so rapidly due to the race! Crazy!

As for the process, many hotels have sales people that handle things like that. I only had to talk to one woman to block off 10 rooms each in 3 local hotels! She also told me that if the rooms all book up she will release more rooms to me. Very nice to work with. Don't worry, it shouldn't be a problem; I think hotels love wedding business so they will work with you for whatever you need. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    It depends alot on the hotel chain.  When I got married, we looked at several.  We estimated how many rooms and booked very early.   Here is what we found:

Marriott brands (Springhill, Courtyard, Residence inn)---could block up to 10 rooms not problem.  After 10 you had to put a credit card on file and were responsible to pay for any of those rooms over 10 if not booked.

La Quinta----no charge and as many as you wanted

We went with the Wyndham in Andover, MA.   We could block as many rooms as we wanted.  Guests had until a certain date to book then the rooms would be released...no liability on our part
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and if you are looking in Salem, stay away from the Holiday Inn there...they are known to mess up reservations.  My sister used to work for the COurtyard in Andover and they constantly got calls for rooms when the HI messed up.   There is a La Quinta in Salem and I highly recommend the Wyndham in Andover .,..it is right off 93
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! This is all super helpful.  I will definitely look into the La Quinta and the Comfort Suites.
    Anniversary
  • JuJuBee1977JuJuBee1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I blocked rooms right away after I booked my venue.  I needed 22 rooms and I got a pretty good rate and a free suite for us.  YIPPEE!!!

I would say that it is never to early, so why take a chance by waiting.

Hope this helps!

Jules
  • mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since our wedding is planned on Labor Day weekend, (and near the college--Keene State), we were advised to block off rooms early.  We booked 10 rooms and can get more if needed, they just need to be reserved one month prior or they will be released.  There is no fee, but they did have us sign a contract to reserve the rooms and acknowledging that they would only hold them until 8/1.
    September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards