Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Allow Bridesmaids to pick out own dress?

I'm thinking about allowing my bridesmaids to pick out or wear their own dress as long as it's a black knee length dress.  Having been a bridesmaid several times, I really want to let my bridesmaids buy something that I know they'll wear again.  What are yalls opinions and/or experiences with doing this?

Re: Allow Bridesmaids to pick out own dress?

• Options
    I think that's a wonderful idea.  Very thoughtful and practical!  I'm sure your ladies will love you for it.
  • Options
    I'm doing the same thing! I think it's good for everyone involved. They will feel comfortable.... and they will get to wear it again (or several times!).
  • Options
    I think your BM will love you for this.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That's what I'm doing, it's actually really common these days.
    Little one is here.
  • Options
    I just told my BMs to get something purple. I wanted them to get something they are comfortable in, can afford, and something they will love and wear again. I love them too much to have them buying something they can't really afford or something they are uncomfortable wearing.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm doing this too and everyones really happy about it.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    I did this too, but with chocolate brown dresses. I didn't specify the length though (well, cocktail length, but my 18 year old sister wore an above the knee and a couple of girls wore knee length). I think it makes so much sense-- bridesmaids are adults who can dress themselves :) I was actually just going to have them wear literally whatever they wanted, but then THEY asked me for more guidance, so we picked a color together. One of my girls ended up feeling very uncomfortable in her dress, but that's because she bought it expecting to lose weight and actually gained, so she changed after the ceremony. But that didn't have anything to do with the guidelines I gave :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Great idea. I did the same thing and it went over well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    i think it's a great idea Smile
  • Options
    I am doing that, too.  I gave them 4 guidelines - make it black, not floor length or super short, not long sleeved, and not all blinged-out.  I have been in 7 weddings.  I have never worn a dress again.  We are all in our late 30s and know what works for us. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Great idea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm doing something similar - My girls are using David's Bridal and I just picked the color and length and they can get whatever style they want. That way I still get a uniform look, but they get to choose a dress they love. My MOH did that when she got married and the BM dress I wore for her wedding is still one of my favorite formals to drag out of the closet!
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    I just told mine to wear black.  One of the best wedding-related decisions I made.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    This is what I did (different color) and it is working very well.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Add me to the list of other people who are doing this :-)  Except the bridesmaids will wear knee length and matron of honor will have a long dress.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    ok.....here is my one caution about this plan: Be honest about how open or controlling you are Smile
    I was a BM who was given those instructions (go buy any black dress) but when i showed the bride what i was thinking she was not impressed.  the dresses weren't covered in bling or leather or slutty, they were just a little different (i think one was one shoulder, one had ruffles).  we just had very different tastes in dresses, she wanted more classic clean lines, and i wanted something a little unique. 
    Anyway, i guess my point is it depends on what kind of bride you are.  If you are easy going, great!  if you like to be in control and have an idea in your head of the style of dresses, then this plan may not work so well.
    at the end of it all, us BM's decided to go with matching black dresses, that were a more classic style.  but i have already re-worn it so that's saying a lot for a BM dress! 
  • Options
    This is a great idea! I'm also doing it. My girls love me for it :)

I made somewhat strict guidelines, but gave them 5 colors to choose from. I told them I wanted knee-length (or a little shorter, just not floor length), no slutty, and no bling.

We'll see what they come up with, but I told them to all run it by me first, just to make sure.
  • Options
    I think its a wonderful idea as im doing the same thing. The only requirements im giving my maids is the dress has to be navy, knee length, and they must all wear either navy or silver shoes but they all must wear the same color shoe. I feel the same way that I want them getting a dress they truly love and if that means they wear different styles then so be it. Such a small price to pay to have the important ladies in your life feel comfortable and beautiful on your very special day.
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • Options
    I am doing this, with the stipulation of I have to have final approval. This because I have a couple of girls in my party whose clothing choices are questionable at best. Since the weights and body types of my girls vary drastically, I have told them what designer I want, the color and length, with the other stipulation of NO TRAINS. My MOH wanted a train on her dress and wanted ivory as an accent color on her dress both were denied. She has however chosen a nice dress in her price point that will suit her body type nicely and she can shorten it when the wedding is over.
  • Options
    Great idea! I'm picking out a color and length and letting them pick the cut/style.
  • Options
    I think its a great idea!  I'm thinking about doing something close to this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards