Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Having your train carried?

I have googled and searched on the knot forums but I don't see anything about this subject. I am wondering if brides still have their trains carried? It seems like an antiquated tradition, but I'm considering bringing it back! It would mostly be for practical purposes: I am getting married on the beach in what I consider a fairly large train. My dress is pure white, and though I'm not overly concerned about it getting dirty, it might be fun to have my jr bridesmaid or someone help me out with it.

What are your thoughts? Anyone know anything about this? What are the potential issues?
Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Having your train carried?

• Options
    Embrace the sand.

I know it's not what you are going for, but I think having someone carrying your train will only make you look pretentious.
  • Options
    Ditto Joy. If you're getting married in a train outside, it will get dirty. Get over it or bustle it, but don't make someone carry it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_having-your-train-carried?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:874f9c4b-605f-41ec-bd82-f69df5c556b5Post:2bb49ee5-dba9-41e6-b66e-2b10d10a7033">Re: Having your train carried?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am curious why you chose a formal dress with a train to get married on the beach?  This seems out of place to me.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

This. The beach seems like a simpler dress would be more practical.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    You're not Duchess Kate. Skip it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It would look odd. 

I got married in a church and my train still got dirty.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I carried my cousins train when I was her flower girl 20+ years ago (not down the aisle though). At the time I loved it; but I do think its outdated these days.  PP are right, its a Beach; its going to get dirty regardless and having it carried may look silly, but you never know, the kids may love it.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Unless you're royalty, it looks really pretentious to have someone carry your train.

I personally had a cathedral length train that was roughly 8 feet long.  It went uncarried down the aisle, though my MOH did arrange it on the steps up to the altar for the photos.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Even Duchess Catherine didn't have her train carried all the way down the aisle.

Like a PP said, embrace the sand.  No matter what you do or where you get married your train and bottom of your dress will get dirty.  As a guest I would think it a bit odd to have someone carrying your train down the aisle.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards