Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Any opinions?

So I have picked out my wedding dress. I am torn between two places to buy it from though. Hollywood bridal in kenilworth, NJ or lotus bridal in Brooklyn. Both received good reviews. Anyone have any experiences with either place?

the place in NJ i would be paying no tax and free alterations, but they dont have the sample in the store since it is brand new

the place in BK i would have to pay for alt but they have the sample dress there, which puts my mind more at ease..

Re: Any opinions?

• Options
    Can you try the dress on at one place and then order it from the other place?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Jess  can.. LoutsBridal had the dress.  That's where I tired it on.  Hollywood Bridal is able to order the dress for me, but doesn'thave the sample in stock.  I'm torn because I will sve money in NJ t alt and no tax, but more peace of mind if I orer in BK cuse they have the sample and less lkely for a mistake.  But in BK I woud have to pay tax and alt
  • Options
    I don't get the sample thing.  You tried it on right?  If you know that's the dress you want and they can get it for you, why does having the sample matter?  It's not like you'll be wearing the sample...

Just wondering because I didn't give much thought to the sample thing.
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't get the whole sample thing.  They'll order you the same one based on your size/measurements, so the sample will be irrelevant.
  • Options
    Whether or not the store has the sample dress is irrelevant.  All they need to order the dress is the dresses style number and your measurements.

A store may carry a certain designer but that doesn't mean that they have every single one of those designers sample dresses in the store.  But as long as they have a relationship with that designer then they can order whatever dress they want.

• Options
    Cause I'm afraid of a mistake.  Its a Maggie Sottro and the sytle is Selina.  She also has a dress called Celine and Selena.  A few places when I called to see if they had the sample already made that mistake with me. 
  • Options
    Plus if they have the sampke in stock, it is easier to get my veil and headpeice
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_any-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:8935696a-4eb2-4137-9088-ccebba84a67dPost:587e18d7-2593-4229-919b-0b54da406e3d">Re: Any opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cause I'm afraid of a mistake.  Its a Maggie Sottro and the sytle is Selina.  She also has a dress called Celine and Selena.  A few places when I called to see if they had the sample already made that mistake with me. 
    Posted by dvenice721[/QUOTE]

If the dress comes in wrong, them having or not having the sample is not going to fix anything.

Honestly if you are this hung up on it I say fork over the extra bucks for tax because it seems the only way you are going to feel ok about ordering a dress is if the store has the sample in their stock.

ETA:  Oh and some stores may have had the sample but then may have sold it so they thought they had it but realized that they didn't.  People aren't perfect and sometimes they make mistakes but I doubt they did it on purpose.

• Options

The salon should be able to pull a photo up on the designer's website for you to confirm that it is the dress you want.  Tell them your concerns and say "can you confirm that the one you are ordering is THIS one?"  Bring a photo in with you.  Have them bring it up on their computer before you put your deposit down. 

• Options
    I know noone is perfect... Just nervous since the dresses take 6 months to come in.  In case of a mistake, it will be cutting it super close to my wedding- that's if they can rush order it, in case of a mistake...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_any-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:8935696a-4eb2-4137-9088-ccebba84a67dPost:6ad4efbf-54b8-4212-8828-0b0ebfb38b93">Re: Any opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know noone is perfect... <strong>Just nervous since the dresses take 6 months to come in.</strong>  In case of a mistake, it will be cutting it super close to my wedding- that's if they can rush order it, in case of a mistake...
    Posted by dvenice721[/QUOTE]

This is also something they tell you to cover their a$$es just in case a dress takes longer then expected to come in and to also push you to purchase a dress so they can meet their sales goals.  Most times wedding dresses do not take 6 months to come in but more like 3-4 months (I ordered my dress at the end of September and it arrived in mid December).

• Options
    My Maggie Sottero dress took 3 1/2 mmonths to come in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • Options
    Ty ladies!
  • Options
    Also, can you ask the one store if they can get it to try on? I did that with my casablanca dress. They carried the designer but not a particular dress so they "borrowed "it for a week so I could try it on.. you might just wanna ask that store
  • Options
    Also, can you ask the one store if they can get it to try on? I did that with my casablanca dress. They carried the designer but not a particular dress so they "borrowed "it for a week so I could try it on.. you might just wanna ask that store
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards