Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

What color shoes for deep red bridesmaid dresses? OPINIONS!

My bridesmaids are wearing this style dress in deep red (bordeaux, specifically):

http://www.jlmcouture.com/Jim-Hjelm-Occasions/Bridesmaid/Fall/2010/Style-5073

What color shoes would look best? Maybe black? Or what about bronze? And what kind of earings should I pair with it?

Thanks for any help! :)

Re: What color shoes for deep red bridesmaid dresses? OPINIONS!

• Options
    My BM dresses are deep red as well ("vintage burgundy").  I told them to find/wear black shoes, and that I don't care if they match, as long as they are event- and season-appropriate. 

They're both shoe lovers so I am sure they will do fine.  Plus they may already have shoes they would like to use, so it could save them money.  And if they do buy new shoes, then at least if they are black they'll get good use out of them down the road.
    "Plus who needs a purse when you have a wedding dress? Those things are like walking hobo bags just waiting to be stuffed with surprise treasures." -Wedinator.com image
  • Options
    Either black or gold shoes.

Let them pick their own earrings. Nobody will notice or care about them, so it'd be a waste of money to buy matching earrings that they might not ever use again.
  • Options
    I would go with a neutral or a gold/bronze tone over black.

I definitely agree with the PP, if their all in the same dress let them pick their own jewelry.
  • Options
    If you must dictate shoes that no one will actually see because they're in a floor length dress, tell them any neutral or gold/bronze shoe. 

Jewelry?  Whatever they want to wear.

What was on the feet/ears of the BMs in the last 6 weddings you attended?  Don't remember?  That's because it doesn't matter.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_color-shoes-deep-red-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:8ac47f28-37f0-405d-8ede-8897b69e1da4Post:254b69a7-f6f1-4b13-8d0b-708cd623530d">Re: What color shoes for deep red bridesmaid dresses? OPINIONS!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think neutral colors would be fine. I don't remember crap about crap about the last six weddings I attended. I don't remember the wedding dresses, I don't remember the food, I don't remember the cake flavor, I don't remember the first dance, I don't remember the vows.... but I'm sure they all mattered to the bride. So I think that trix's reasoning is quite flawed and it has also become a tiresome thing to say to people asking for help.
    Posted by AmberMarieTX[/QUOTE]
    But that's the point.  No one is going to remember these details, not even the couple, so why stress over them?  Just go with whatever is going to be easiest and most convenient, and call it a day.  I couldn't accurately describe the shoes of my own bridesmaids without the aid of the pictures.  The bride may think it's important going in, but I guarantee you that the vast majority of brides who agonized over the tiny details going into the wedding came out wondering why they bothered.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_color-shoes-deep-red-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:8ac47f28-37f0-405d-8ede-8897b69e1da4Post:752c9e51-694a-45f5-9ec4-8e2747b50482">Re: What color shoes for deep red bridesmaid dresses? OPINIONS!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What color shoes for deep red bridesmaid dresses? OPINIONS! : But that's the point.  <strong>No one is going to remember these details, not even the couple, so why stress over them?</strong>  Just go with whatever is going to be easiest and most convenient, and call it a day.  I couldn't accurately describe the shoes of my own bridesmaids without the aid of the pictures.  The bride may think it's important going in, but I guarantee you that the vast majority of brides who agonized over the tiny details going into the wedding came out wondering why they bothered.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

I get that, but I guess I don't see all questions as "stressing" over it. Some ask questions and stress over it... some just ask for opinions. I just feel like if you don't have an opinion about it, then move on. Unless they are like "OMG I AM SO STRESSED ABOUT WHAT COLOR SHOES I NEED" then what's the point of actively hitting reply to tell someone something along the lines of "it doesn't matter because no one will notice DUH, DON'T YOU KNOW THAT NO ONE WILL NOTICE." 

I don't know, it is just my opinion... I just get tired of seeing those kinds of responses to people asking questions. I know sometimes I think "It doesn't matter." when I see a question, but I just move on.
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • Options
    I think black would be best, but if they're long I wouldn't even bother specifying a colour.  No one will see their feet anyway.  We wore long dresses for my sister's wedding.  It wasn't until the reception that I even realized that we'd all picked different neutrals for underneath.  Why?  Because no one looked at our feet.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_color-shoes-deep-red-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:8ac47f28-37f0-405d-8ede-8897b69e1da4Post:911807dc-83d8-457e-9713-9b17ce535094">Re: What color shoes for deep red bridesmaid dresses? OPINIONS!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What color shoes for deep red bridesmaid dresses? OPINIONS! : I get that, but I guess I don't see all questions as "stressing" over it. Some ask questions and stress over it... some just ask for opinions. I just feel like if you don't have an opinion about it, then move on. Unless they are like "OMG I AM SO STRESSED ABOUT WHAT COLOR SHOES I NEED" then what's the point of actively hitting reply to tell someone something along the lines of "it doesn't matter because no one will notice DUH, DON'T YOU KNOW THAT NO ONE WILL NOTICE."  I don't know, it is just my opinion... I just get tired of seeing those kinds of responses to people asking questions. I know sometimes I think "It doesn't matter." when I see a question, but I just move on.
    Posted by AmberMarieTX[/QUOTE]
    For the question, "What color shoes should the bridesmaids wear with this?", the answer "Whatever they want, it doesn't really matter" is a perfectly valid opinion, and very often what the bride most needs to hear.  It's really easy and rather dangerous to lose perspective in wedding planning, and usually that loss of perspective is what causes issues in the bride's relationships with friends and family that can last for years and might never get resolved.  Not necessarily about shoe color, but about a myriad other little details that also don't matter.

There's a whole industry out there dedicated to telling brides that every little detail must be perfect and coordinated and precise, so I think the answer, "It doesn't matter" is possibly the most helpful piece of advice these boards can provide.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I don't care what color you get- but please don't ask them to find bronze shoes unless you find ones you like. I was in a wedding where we had to find bronze shoes and it was an absolute FREAKING nightmare to find. Silver or Gold are so much easier to find, and would look great- black would as well. I think any "neutral" shoe would be nice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The color of the shoes matters only for the pictures.  And if they show at all, you don't want to distract from the dress.  The eyes should not be drawn to the feet. 

So if the bordeaux deep red dress is at the end of 'summer' (end of August), do you ask them to wear black strappy sandals as a compromise?  or strappy nude? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards