Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Different color tie and vest?

My GM are wearing tuxes, and I was wondering what people thought about having their vests be a different color than their ties.  

I'm considering having the GM wear a black tux, white shirt, light pink tie, and taupe vest.

My two main colors are champagne and light pink. Taupe is my third most prominent color, and then I will have accents of neutrals (ivory, silver, black, white, etc). I'm pretty certain about color choices for the rest of the wedding party: BMs in champagne with white flowers wrapped in light pink ribbon; me in diamond white with light pink flowers wrapped in champagne ribbon; groom in black tux, white shirt, and champagne vest/tie. The matching GM option would be light pink vest and tie. I'm concerned about incorporating taupe somewhere on the bridal party.

I'm also wondering if most tux shops will rent mismatched vests and ties.

Re: Different color tie and vest?

• Options
    If you go to Mens' Wearhouse, they will order the vest/tie in the same color unless you buy ties. My guys all bought ties because they rent clip on ones and they were having no part of that.

However, you could do what I did - the girls are all wearing blue and the guys vest/ties are all silver. Then I have both my colors in the WP!
    BFP #1: 5/20/12 ~ EDD: 2/20/13 ~ Betas at 221: 5/24/12 ~ Betas at 917: 5/29/12 ~ M/C: 5/29/12 BFP #2: 10/17/12 (13dpo) ~ EDD: 6/29/13 Beta #1 @ 2164: 10/22/12 ~ 1st u/s: 10/26/12 = empty ute Beta #2 @ 7610: 10/26/12 ~ 2nd u/s: 10/30/12 = measuring at 5w6d 3rd u/s: 11/5/12 = HB of 150 ~ 4th u/s: 11/27/12 = perfect wiggly LO! Lilypie Maternity tickers "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end." Image and video hosting by TinyPic Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers My Randomness Blog ~ The TTCAL Blog ~ My Wedding Blog
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'd go with taupe or champagne for both the men's vests and ties. Bring in the pink in the boutonniere (although I think a white boutonniere would be ideal).  Maybe it's just a personal preference of mine, but I prefer men's tie/vest to be neutral colors with tuxes.

ETA: Whoops, just realized that the groom is wearing champagne.  I'd do the taupe vests with taupe ties in that case.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do the different colors.  I personally think it would look like too many colors going on.  I would do same color tie/vest.  Unless you do a black vest to match the tux.  That is what my FI and GM are doing for their suits.  They didn't want to wear tuxes but still wanted the vest.  It looks really nice with white shirt, black suit, black vest, color tie.  It really makes the tie stand out.
    Time of our lives Anniversary
  • Options
    I got ours from Men's wearhouse...

The bowties are different colors than the vest for the best man (silver bowtie and navy vest).  The rest of the groomsmen are wearing both in navy.  My FI is wearing blue bowtie and white vest.  
    Wedding Planning Bio & For Sale: valeriewalter.weebly.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't do a pink tie, no matter the color of vest, unless the girls are wearing pink, because then when they don't have the flowers on them they won't be wearing any pink.

My colors were similar to yours in Taupe was a main color in my scheme. I did a lot of neutrals with splashes of orange in the flowers.

We did:
    On Groom: White Tie/Vest with Black Tux and Orange boutonniere
    On Groomsmen: Taupe Tie/Vest with Black Tux and Orange boutonnieres
    On Bridesmaids: Taupe Dresses with Bright Orange Flower Bouquets

• Options
    I used Men's Wearhouse.  They recommended a tie and vest that matched; but they actually did what I wanted...for an extra fee.   None of the ties (their recommendations or the ones we actually used were clipons). 
  • Options
    I actually think the taupe vest and pink tie is perfectly fine.

Go to the store and hold up the different options.  Take a BM dress with you.  Putting all the shades together in real life is really the best option to figure out what looks best.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards