Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Should Bride's really wear white?

I know that tradition means everything but am I wrong for not wanting to follow tradition and wear a beautiful colored gown to my wedding? I love color and I just can't see myself wearing white, cream, or ivory for my wedding. In no way shape or form am I bashing the lovely brides who look stunning in those colors; I just don't feel like I can pul it off. I NEED A LITTLE HELP HERE!!!!!! Will I be going overboard with my futuristic style or will I be steppin' into the new decade trail-blazing a new wedding style?

I need your feedback Ladies and Gents.....

WinkCe-Ce

Re: Should Bride's really wear white?

• Options
    If you don't want a white or ivory dress, don't get one. There are a lot of brides out there that choose colored dresses and you are beginning to see them more and more from the designers. I could never see myself wearing anything but white or ivory, but that is just my personal preference.

The only thing I would caution is that you should be prepared for the possible repurcussions from family and friends (of course we don't know your family so this may not even be an issue). Good luck
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with getting a colored wedding dress, red blue green, whatever you want, its your dress. But like PP said just be prepared for family/friends to drop their jaws and question why you dont want to wear white. If you dont want to hear it from them, just dont tell them!
  • Options

I agree with the other ladies, there will be jaws dropping, but its your day, and you are the one that needs to be pleased with the way you look, along with your FC. I would suggest that if you are doing color, than don't do a traditional gown. Go all out and do something fun and creative.  At www.100layercake.com I saw a lot of cool dresses, really cool. Have fun! Smile

Wedding Countdown TickerWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    you know, I'm not much of a white/ivory "big beautiful princess day dress" either, but I tried them on and was amazingly suprised how nice they looked on me, and after a few, I got really used to the look, and felt really special...now I can't wait to wear my dress in a few months and have my "princess day!"  I guess what I'm saying is, don't count it out just because you feel it is not "you," at least give it a try or two, if you still can't stand it, then go with whatever color floats your boat - it's your day to shine!
  • Options
    I think you should wear whatever color you want.  I do remember someone saying though that Sara Jessica Parker wore black...and regretted it.
  • Options
    offbeatbride.com might be helpful
  • Options
    I say if you don't want to wear white then don't! The dress really is all about you so you should love it! although I would talk with your FI about it because some guys like the white dress but my guess is he will tell you to go with what you like :)

• Options
    Traditinally white dress is aslo not popular now. Most new geration of brides choose to wear a colorful dress in their weddings. Yes, I also LOVE colorful dress, especially red. I can't imagine a red dress make my fiance to open his big mouth " wow". All the participants put their eyes on me. haha...... So So wonderful!

My favorite wedding store http://www.trustedeal.com
  • Options
    PP, even though colored gowns are becoming more common, it's a pretty big stretch to say white isn't popular. Click through bios and the majority of girls will have white/ivory/diamond white dresses.

OP, when I went and tried on dresses there were some lovely beigey-gold, light pink, and blue dresses out there that are still very bridal and elegant. Try looking at demetrios dresses to get an idea of some of the colored bridal gowns, bc they have some I know. If you're wanting a brighter/louder color, then some shops will have red dresses, or you could look a bridesmaids dresses to get long gowns in any color. Just be prepared for that shock factor if it's a brighter color.
  • Options
    I'm wearing a pink-champagne color dress. People give me weird looks when I tell them my dress isn't white--but I adore the dress and it still looks very "bride-like" to me! I say go for it. Just cos people make it a trend and then tradition doesn't mean that's the way it has to be. I think initially brides wore blue. Indian brides wear read. Queen victoria started the white wedding dress. Wear what you want!

This was on ask.yahoo:

As for the colorful item, blue has been connected to weddings for centuries. In ancient Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. Christianity has long dressed the Virgin Mary in blue, so purity was associated with the color. Before the late 19th century, blue was a popular color for wedding gowns, as evidenced in proverbs like, "Marry in blue, lover be true."
  • Options
    I didn't really want a wedding dress at all, but my mother convinced me to get one. I went with ivory, but I don't think that I would have had regrets if I'd gone for a nice, non-wedding dress in a nice colour, either. Many of my friends (European, not American) got married in nice dresses that they could wear again instead of wedding dresses. They don't regret it either. But don't wear black...

I would try some wedding dresses on but I see no issue with having a coloured dress if you prefer that. Some wedding dresses also have sashes or coloured parts, and you could also try to add colour in through a colourful flower, and bright shoes, if you wanted to go that route.
  • Options
    Years ago the traditional bridal gown was nothing fancier than a brides best gown.  It was always a bright color, and there was nothing truly remarkable about the dress. Then came Queen Victoria, and her use of a white gown set the standard for what we obessess over today.  Does a brides gown have to be white? NOOOOOOO.  It can be whatever color that makes you feel like the most beautiful creature in the universe!  Fnd the dress that makes you feel divine and go for it!
  • Options

If you want to wear color but are afraid of the reprecussions from friends and family for shunning the 'normal' white, why not see if you can find some sort of ombre effect like Gwen Stefani wore when she married Gavin Rossdale?  It was gorgeous and classy, but still bright, fun and offbeat.

Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards