Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

BM Jewelry...

Ok, FI and I went to Macy's this evening just to make a payment.  Wellll, we found our bridesmaids jewelry.  We both want to show all the ladies the jewelry but, I told him that I think that's supposed to be a "gift" to them.  Please tell me what I'm "supposed" to do.
Thank you all
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: BM Jewelry...

• Options
    Anything that they are supposed to use for YOUR wedding is not a gift for THEM.

It's fine if you want them in matching jewelry and you are paying for it, but saying, "Oh, you need to wear this for my wedding, but I'm so awesome that you can keep it afterward!" isn't much of a present for them.
  • Options
    I am in the minority here.. most girls on this board say giving the girls jewelry to wear, is not a gift...I think it's contigent upon the piece(s).  If it's something specific to the dress and overall "costume like", then yes, it may not be something they can wear again.  I gave my girls simple necklaces and many wear them most days of the week, so it was  gift.  I also gave them something more personalized to accompany the necklace.
  • Options
    I agree... it's very much a gift to them. Especially if it was something designed by the Bride, like in my case.  Do what you are comfortable with, but I definitely gave my girls theirs as a gift.  
  • Options
    I'm letting "my girls" where whatever jewelry they want.  I don't think anyone is going to notice if their earings don't match!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be giving my girls their jewelry as one of their gifts.  It's not a costume piece and is something they can wear again.  But it won't be their only gift.

I had posted in another post that as a bridesmaid, I recieved my gloves as the only gift.  MAJOR NO NO.  So that's why I wante to give them something else as well.
  • Options
    My sister in law gave us our jewelry as a gift but she also had something little and specific to us as an additional gift which was very nice. For me she gave me a little amethyst pendant from a rock store and a coffee cover with a picture of her and I from her shower.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imagemy read shelf:
    Christina's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    For all the weddings that I've been in I have gotten my wedding day jewerly as my only gift.  I wear them all the time and love them.  I am doing this for my BM as well.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    A bridesmaid gift should be something that you would be happy to give as a gift on any other occasion.  So if you'd buy them jewelry for Christmas or their birthday, it's fine to give for your wedding as well.  But if they're not really jewelry types, it's not a very thoughtful gift. 

Personally, the only jewelry I wear on any sort of regular basis is my wedding set and I already have nicer pieces to wear on special occasions, so the idea of someone picking out jewelry to their taste and expecting me to ooh and aah over it kind of makes me cringe.  I gave my girls no direction at all on their jewelry, and I honestly couldn't really tell you what they wore.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    THank you all for your comments.  I'm leaning towards getting them a small personalized gift as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I gave my BM's the jewelry to wear at the wedding as a gift.  If you get them something they can wear again, I def would considered it a gift to them.  I had a destination wedding and got them starfish earrings and necklace.  I have seen them wear them multiple times after.

However, I have received really fancy earrings to wear at a wedding and have not touched them since.

GL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards