Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How much did you pay for alterations?

Hello girlies,

I have not tried on wedding dresses yet but I fell IN LOVE with one by Essense of Australia. I've seen others say they bought the same dress for $1,400-1,600 so I'm budgeting the high end.

How much can I expect to pay in alterations if I only do fitting? If I want to change anything I know it's impossible to estimate the cost ahead of time. But what about just getting it to look good on my body??

Anniversary

Re: How much did you pay for alterations?

• Options
    My salon has said it will be a minimum of $250 for the hem, but I expect to pay around $600 because I am planning to lose weight and will need it taken it a lot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mine were about $250 total to have it hemmed and taken in.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Mine was just about $200 to have hemmed and have the straps taken in, but we had a good family friend do it. It took her 18 hours to do the hem (layers and lace that had to be taken off and then sewn back on) so it would have been a lot more elsewhere.  

My cousin's was just about $500 btw. She had to have it taken in and shortened and it had lots of details (lace, beading, etc). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I paid 300, that was to take the dress out, hem the underslip and add bustles
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    random4180random4180 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2012
    Mine was $345. I had a corset back put in, had it hemmed (two tiered, four-layer skirt,) had the bodice taken in, cups sewn in, and a veil bustle. I also had it steamed. There was lace, beading, appliques (it wasn't as gaudy as it sounds!) and for NYC, I consider that a decent price for all I got done. A lot of people will tell you DB is overpriced and full of shoddy craftsmanship- and I don't doubt some are- so it pays to do the research when it comes to alterations. I would definitely ask your local board and check out google and yelp reviews (my local DB actually had a positive review for their alterations department!)

ETA: The reason I mentioned DB is because that's where I got mine done. Sometimes a non-bridal store seamstress will cost less but I found that the price they offered for their work was actually cheaper than the highly recommended (and noted to be reasonably priced) local seamstress I was looking at. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I just paid $75 for a hem. Since my dress wan't fitted all the way down, we just ordered it to fit snugly around my chest and waist. Sounds like I was really lucky with that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    For my hem, boob cups and something else small that I am forgetting I think I paid $145.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    Mine were $200 for minimal alterations (nipping the waist in a bit and hemming). It was more than I'd expected, but it sounds like it was not out of line.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had to have my dress taken in 2 times because I lost so much weight, and couldn't get that stabilized. It ended up being over 600. But it was entirely my fault for dropping 5 sizes :p
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Mine were $350 for hem, taking it in a few inches, and boob cups. I also had 2 rounds of alterations.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards