Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Found "The Dress" (sigh)

http://www.jaeheebridal.com/shop/bridal-gowns/modeca/modeca-olivia-m.html

I fell in love with this dress, but am unsure what to do about it! I very much wanted to keep the price down as much as possible, as my parents are buying my dress and any accessories (of which there will be very few). However, this one is just under $2000. The did the same thing when my sister got married 12.5 years ago, and man were dresses cheaper then! I think she said hers was $900. What to do...what to do... I'm going to David's Bridal this coming weekend though, and hopefully I can find something just as nice, but cheaper there.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Found "The Dress" (sigh)

• Options
    I'll tell you right now... it is HARD finding non-strapless dresses, if that's the style you're going for. Every time I walked into a shop and told them I didn't want a strapless dress they stared at me as if I had 3 heads. You definitely won't find many at DB.
  • Options
    Have your parents given you a price point? You really need to have one before you go looking at anything over budget. If they gave you free reign on that, my next question is have you tried the dream dress on? My "dream dress" made me look like a birthday cake, and I ended up in something completely different.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!

I have tried it on, yes, and both Mom and I loved it. We've only been to the one store, and when asked for my price point, I told the salegirl "as close to $1000 as possible". Mom said that going a little higher (even up to $1500, she said) would be a-okay. I've mentioned my concerns to my Mom, and she said that I would be crazy to not go with it if it was the one I loved.

As for strapless versus straps; maybe it was because the dress was about 6 sizes too big for me, but when the salesgirl tried to adjust the straps to get a better idea, it just looked funny. So, we tucked the mesh upper part into the top and made it a strapless.

We'll see, and I will definitely hit the DB site in the next couple days to get a better idea of what they have!

Alesha :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_found-the-dress-sigh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:a078efb5-a833-499c-93c2-4989f55891d8Post:a797a640-eaa5-43cd-806c-e52c792090fb">Re: Found "The Dress" (sigh)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll tell you right now... it is HARD finding non-strapless dresses, if that's the style you're going for. Every time I walked into a shop and told them I didn't want a strapless dress they stared at me as if I had 3 heads. You definitely won't find many at DB.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_found-the-dress-sigh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:a078efb5-a833-499c-93c2-4989f55891d8Post:c13d1806-8c34-4641-b707-129ec5678cd5">Re: Found "The Dress" (sigh)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies! I have tried it on, yes, and both Mom and I loved it. We've only been to the one store, and when asked for my price point, I told the salegirl "as close to $1000 as possible". Mom said that going a little higher (even up to $1500, she said) would be a-okay. I've mentioned my concerns to my Mom, and she said that I would be crazy to not go with it if it was the one I loved. As for strapless versus straps; maybe it was because the dress was about 6 sizes too big for me, but when the salesgirl tried to adjust the straps to get a better idea, it just looked funny. So, we tucked the mesh upper part into the top and made it a strapless. We'll see, and I will definitely hit the DB site in the next couple days to get a better idea of what they have! Alesha :) In Response to Re: Found "The Dress" (sigh) :
    Posted by Alesha1978[/QUOTE]

Also, try cruising the websites for Alfred Angelo and Mori Lee.  Both are budget friendly designers that are just a bit higher than DB dresses, and quite beautiful.  You can often find AA or ML dresses in the $700-1300.00 range. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_found-the-dress-sigh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:a078efb5-a833-499c-93c2-4989f55891d8Post:3861db34-eb0b-4193-8ef0-1199dbff3859">Found "The Dress" (sigh)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://www.jaeheebridal.com/shop/bridal-gowns/modeca/modeca-olivia-m.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.jaeheebridal.com/shop/bridal-gowns/modeca/modeca-olivia-m.html</a> I fell in love with this dress, but am unsure what to do about it! I very much wanted to keep the price down as much as possible, as my parents are buying my dress and any accessories (of which there will be very few). However, this one is just under $2000. <strong>The did the same thing when my sister got married 12.5 years ago, and man were dresses cheaper then! I think she said hers was $900.</strong> What to do...what to do... I'm going to David's Bridal this coming weekend though, and hopefully I can find something just as nice, but cheaper there.
    Posted by Alesha1978[/QUOTE]

Have your parents given you a budget for the dress?  You really can't compare prices....$900 over 12 years ago is not the same as $900 today.  I recommend trying on dresses elsewhere.  If you really love the dress, have you thought about helping to contribute financially to it? 
  • Options
    Oh absolutely, on both counts! We're going to DB this coming weekend, and I've also offered to pay for a portion, which my Mom balked at. You would have to know my folks, but she was pretty aghast when I suggested it. Honestly, it's just a dress, and as long as I look like a bride for a day, that's really all that matters. Something will come up at DB, I'll get my sis to help make sure it does! And if not there, then somewhere else. I think there's still a little time to look; the wedding isn't until August 3013.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_found-the-dress-sigh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:a078efb5-a833-499c-93c2-4989f55891d8Post:e163a4fa-1207-42f2-b492-fc8fc36aefac">Re: Found "The Dress" (sigh)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Found "The Dress" (sigh) : Have your parents given you a budget for the dress?  You really can't compare prices....$900 over 12 years ago is not the same as $900 today.  I recommend trying on dresses elsewhere.  If you really love the dress, have you thought about helping to contribute financially to it? 
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you like the "romantic" feel, just looking at allure or Casablanca dressed. They are both in that price range and have that feel. They both have websites.

Also, Casablanca will add straps/cap sleeves or change necklines for you, as well
  • Options
    I just want to say that I went to three different bridal shops and had MANY options at $1000 or below.  My gown ended up being $850, was from Casablanca, and couldn't have been more perfect.

There's more out there than David's Bridal for your pricepoint.  Good luck!

Here's my dress:

• Options
    Would it be possible to get your dream dress by allowing your parents to pay for what they can afford and you paying for the rest? Parents pay $1500 and you pay $500. Good luck!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    My Allure gown was 1100, and the store was having a 20% off all gowns, so I walked out with it less than 1000 and they have a TON of romantic dresses in that price range.
  • Options
    Wow, that is gorgeous! I'm actually in Canada, but the local Canadian board here isn't very active. I did try on some Casablanca dresses and liked them. And, I snooped online at DB, and found a couple that I really like.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_found-the-dress-sigh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:a078efb5-a833-499c-93c2-4989f55891d8Post:a8f8187d-d814-4a52-bfbd-3f22d589eb6f">Re: Found "The Dress" (sigh)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just want to say that I went to three different bridal shops and had MANY options at $1000 or below.  My gown ended up being $850, was from Casablanca, and couldn't have been more perfect. There's more out there than David's Bridal for your pricepoint.  Good luck! Here's my dress:
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I ended up buying my Mori Lee gown from a private seller, unworn and unaltered, for $300 recently.

It's a beautiful gown.
  • Options
    I just bought a Mori Lee gown as well. It's funny - I really wanted to be different and not get a strapless dress, but strapless just ended up being the most flattering on me. Mine was $1,078 but the store has a 15% off sale in December, so we ended up getting it for $960ish instead (my parents are also paying!).

I tried on dresses at David's Bridal as well but my experience was pretty mediocre. The consultant was 18 years old and had only been working there a month. She wasn't able to help me figure out what I liked and didn't like about each dress that I tried on, and she was also very slow at pulling dresses despite the fact that I came in there armed with a handful of style numbers I knew I wanted to try on. They also had me wear this bra and slip and then change in and out of the dresses in the middle of the store in full view of whoever walked by! Hopefully if/when you go your experience will be better! Also, just fyi, I went on a Thursday at lunchtime and I pretty much had the store almost to myself. If you can go during the week you will definitely get more personal attention, and that's true of any store you visit!

Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    I do think the dress is beautiful.... I have a Maggie Sottero dress.. and she is really reasonable.... WITH GORGEOUS DRESSES..

here is one I think looks similar to the one you love:
    http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=S5301&page=0&pageSize=36&attrib30=272&attrib28=257&attrib28=263&attrib29=270&keywordText=

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=A3443&page=0&pageSize=36&attrib30=272&attrib28=257&attrib28=263&attrib29=270&keywordText=

Hope that helps..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Try asking the bridal salon if you can pay the dress on a payment plan like a lay a way, sometimes the family members will help pay for the dress too, ask for some assistance, I bet you will get it!!
  • Options
    I tried on loads of dresses and finally just called Pearl's Place.  They gave me an amazing price  on the one I loved the best.  Saved so much that we are adding another day or two  to honeymoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards