Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Married Knotties-Tell me your dress story.

Okay, looking for wedding dress “disaster” for the magazine from married Knotties. Did your bustle keep falling out all night? Did you ladies pop out the top of your dress during your first dance dip (this happened to my BFF)? These can be major or minor, but our goal is to help other brides avoid these in the future, so tell us your stories below.

As always, thank you so much!
Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!

Re: Married Knotties-Tell me your dress story.

• Options
    Do "could have been disaster" stories count?

We had a choreographed first dance so we decided to practice in the dress even though it meant my husband would see the dress before the wedding. But it's a good thing we did, because we discovered that the hem was still too long after alterations (it looked OK for just standing and walking, but it was definitely too long for dancing). I'm glad I found this out before the wedding, instead of tripping up during my first dance!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    ring_pop,

That is great advice, really. Maybe every bride should actually dance in the dress-rather than just walk around or stand there. Even if dancing is w/ a friend or mother/father etc. Who would have thought it would matter in the hem length?

Thanks.
    Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!
  • Options
    My longline bra was put on incorrectly (we tried and tried, but it never felt right,) and it kept riding up all day long! I kept having to fold the top down because the ivory lace on the bra was peeking out over my white taffeta gown's neckline! I asked my female photog to let me know when it was showing, and she was good at telling me - but it unfortunately shows in a lot of photos. Moral of the story: make sure that your bra is put on correctly and in the right spot. If not, just lose it because it's not worth having to pull at it all day long!
    ------------------
    I went through all of the trouble to get a 5-point French bustle and underbustle sewn into my dress, and it wasn't bustled correctly on wedding day. I had taken my aunt to the bridal shop with me a few days before my wedding so that she could learn how to do it, but the maitre'd took over on wedding day and missed a point or 2, because my dress was dragging.
  • Options
    My dress had so many layers that the top layers came undone from the bustle when I was dancing at the reception.  Initially we thought my bustle had just come undone, so my aunt had me off in a corner behind the DJ booth with my whole skirt over my head trying to fix it.  Our videographer was standing there the whole time video taping me with my dress over my head.  Perv.

So lesson learned--make sure your seemstress gets all the dress layers sewn into the bustle, and deal with wardrobe malfunctions in the bathroom.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I made sure i told my seamstress to  put my bustle in nice and tight becasue my H and i were doing a choreographed dance. Well, i forgot to mention i was taking off my heels for the dance since my H is shorter than me. So my even though my cathedral length train was bustled, it was still too long. My H and I both stepped all over it during our dance and at the very end of the dance, my H went to dip me and i slipped on the back of the dress. Good thing my H is strong or i would landed flat on my butt!

The bustle was completely lost about halfway thru the night when a friend stepped on my dress while dancing. I carried it around with the loop inside for the rest of the night.

Everyone including my own Mom stepped on my dress that night. Lesson learned, make sure your dress is bustled for your reception shoes not your ceremony shoes!

• Options
    It wasn't a huge disaster, but I lost about 5 pounds between the final fitting and the wedding due to stress.  So my strapless dress was a little loose on top and the hem was hanging lower than I wanted.  It also rained all day on the wedding day, so I did a lot of hiking up my dress to keep it from dragging in the rain and mud.  Between the loose fit and having to hoist it up all afternoon, I had a fold in my midsection in nearly every single picture, and my bustle didn't hang the right way most of the time. 

In the end, I wish I hadn't been so concerned about the dress dragging.  We managed to get to our outdoor location for formals during a break in the rain, but we didn't get as many done as I would have liked because I was worried about getting the bottom wet or muddy.  I would never want to do a TTD, but a wet hem wouldn't have killed me.
  • Options
    I forgot to put on my double stick tape at the top of the dress until after the ceremony and most of our pro pics. In most of the pics, my dress isn't sitting flat against my chest! Thank goodness I remembered right before we did our choreographed first dance or i might have flashed everybody!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I had wanted a vintage gown, but shopped around and sadly didn't find a thing that suited me. I then went and ordered a new dress with 7 months to go, was given the run-around by the bridal shop in the weeks leading up to the wedding, and later found out that the dress hadn't actually been ordered. Ultimately, this resulted in me shopping for a gown 10 days before the wedding...  In my quest for a dress, I happened by a vintage store I'd never been in before, and found the 1950's gown that fit me perfectly which I wore for our wedding a week and a half later.

Does that count?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards