Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Custom Wedding Gown

Hi there!  I'm getting married in July, and my aunt has offered to design/make my wedding dress.  This is what she does for living, and her work is AMAZING, so I have no doubts that the dress will be gorgeous. 

I was wondering if any other brides have gone through this process.  Any suggestions?  Both my aunt and I have been gathering photos of what we think would look good, but I'm still nervous.  I'm plus-sized and have a hard time finding clothes I think I look good in.  And since we'll be constructing the gown from scratch, I'm worried about how the gown will look on me once it's done (and too late to change my mind).  Thoughts?  Thanks!

Re: Custom Wedding Gown

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_custom-wedding-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:acc03bdc-ebac-4953-8a2d-d34ed8a793ccPost:8b7c6986-bf2f-40d6-8415-54c9a39e2f30">Custom Wedding Gown</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi there!  I'm getting married in July, and my aunt has offered to design/make my wedding dress.  This is what she does for living, and her work is AMAZING, so I have no doubts that the dress will be gorgeous.  I was wondering if any other brides have gone through this process.  Any suggestions?  Both my aunt and I have been gathering photos of what we think would look good, but I'm still nervous.  I'm plus-sized and have a hard time finding clothes I think I look good in.  And since we'll be constructing the gown from scratch, I'm worried about how the gown will look on me once it's done (and too late to change my mind).  Thoughts?  Thanks!
    Posted by wittykitty14[/QUOTE]

I would really suggest that you go try on gowns in a store somewhere before your aunt starts making your dress.  You won't really know what designs flatter your body until you put them on.  Pictures won't tell you what the dresses will look like on YOU.  Maybe take your aunt with you to shop, so she can see what you like and what you don't and see how the fabric lays on your body.
  • Options
    Trying on dresses at the bridal salos really won't show the detail for ya, unless you try on the exact dress that your aunt is creating for you.  I would trust her if this is her professional business!  As for changing your mind on the final product, this is what private dressmakers expect and deal with all the time.
    Best of luck for you.  And I hope you are able to save some money by having a relative make you the dress!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_custom-wedding-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:acc03bdc-ebac-4953-8a2d-d34ed8a793ccPost:566d7078-5224-45ea-a4bc-a23391f76ab0">Re: Custom Wedding Gown</a>:
    [QUOTE]Trying on dresses at the bridal salos really won't show the detail for ya, unless you try on the exact dress that your aunt is creating for you.  I would trust her if this is her professional business!  As for changing your mind on the final product, this is what private dressmakers expect and deal with all the time. Best of luck for you.  And I hope you are able to save some money by having a relative make you the dress!
    Posted by cayharrop[/QUOTE]
    I agree with CMGilpin.

Cayharrop, trying on dresses on salons will give her an idea of what STYLE looks good on her. What if her aunt makes a mermaid style dress and she ends up hating how it fits? It can't be modified afterwards, It's not her work that was questioned but you have to know what you want before it's made.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_custom-wedding-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:acc03bdc-ebac-4953-8a2d-d34ed8a793ccPost:566d7078-5224-45ea-a4bc-a23391f76ab0">Re: Custom Wedding Gown</a>:
    [QUOTE]Trying on dresses at the bridal salos really won't show the detail for ya, unless you try on the exact dress that your aunt is creating for you.  I would trust her if this is her professional business!  As for changing your mind on the final product, this is what private dressmakers expect and deal with all the time. Best of luck for you.  And I hope you are able to save some money by having a relative make you the dress!
    Posted by cayharrop[/QUOTE]

I wasn't suggesting she try on dresses for detail, but OP has been looking at photos with her aunt.  A photo isn't going to tell her if she looks best in an A-Line, or an Empire Waist, or a Fit & Flare.  She needs to put on some dresses for cut and maybe fabric style.  I thought I would love lace dresses, and when I put it on my plus size body, I felt like a table cloth.
  • Options
    I agree with cmgilpin about going and trying on dresses.  My FMIL is making my dress and we went to several different bridal salons and I tried on dresses.  From there I looked at dress designs online and picked some different details I really liked, which we'll incorporate into the dress FMIL is making for me.
    June 2013 Sig Challenge - Shoes

Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto cmgilpin.

My mom was going to make my dress so we went shopping in salons to try to find the best shape and style for my body. I wound up falling in love with a dress and finding for half off retail on craigslist so we didn't actually make it, but we would have because that is what she and her mother did when my mom got married 30 years ago.

Please go try on dresses before deciding on a style. You may find that your favorite shape looks less than perfect on you, but something you hadn't even considered will knock your socks off. :)
  • Options
    Another vote here to go try on various styles and see what fit you like best.  Your aunt may be amazing, but she would still appreciate your input on what styles you like most on your body.

It's an extremely rare that a woman will know automatically what shape of dress will flatter her most.  I was one of the lucky few who knew exactly what I needed to try on style-wise, but that's only because I have a ridiculous shape. 

Also, have fun with it!  Dress appointments can be a blast!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Ditto to trying on dresses before deciding on a design for your custom dress.  See if your aunt can go with you.

I made my dd's dress and she tried on dozens before deciding on "the one" and it wasn't what she thought she'd like at the beginning.  It was nice to know exactly what look we were going for from the very start of the dressmaking process.  I recommend it.
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice!  I was leaning towards trying some dresses on with my aunt, and your comments have reassured me that it's a good idea! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_custom-wedding-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:acc03bdc-ebac-4953-8a2d-d34ed8a793ccPost:8b7c6986-bf2f-40d6-8415-54c9a39e2f30">Custom Wedding Gown</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi there!  I'm getting married in July, and my aunt has offered to design/make my wedding dress.  This is what she does for living, and her work is AMAZING, so I have no doubts that the dress will be gorgeous.  I was wondering if any other brides have gone through this process.  Any suggestions?  Both my aunt and I have been gathering photos of what we think would look good, but I'm still nervous.  I'm plus-sized and have a hard time finding clothes I think I look good in.  And since we'll be constructing the gown from scratch, I'm worried about how the gown will look on me once it's done (and too late to change my mind).  Thoughts?  Thanks!
    Posted by wittykitty14[/QUOTE]

Yes, trying on gowns can be very clarifying. But in addition to that, if your aunt is a professional, she will be prepared to make a prototype of your gown first, using lesser materials, ironing out all the kinks and making sure that the style and fit look good on you. She will then cut into the expensive materials used to make your actual dress. Make sure you budget for a prototype. A custom wedding gown designer and seamstress always makes a prototype first!
  • Options
    We'll be going to try on dresses in 2 weeks!  Based on all your comments and my aunt's advice, we think it's definitely the way to go!  Thanks so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards