Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

bridesmaid dresses- fabric help!

Hi everyone,

I have decided to have my bridesmaids all wear black dresses, as they live in 3 countries on 2 continents and it would be too difficult to get them in the exact shade/colour.  Plus, I like black :D    I'm thinking of having them each wear a matching sash or something, but not decided on they at all yet.  I'd love it if they could each wear something that looks great on them, that they're comfortable in, and that they can wear again. 

My FSIL mentioned that they should also all be in the same fabric.  How important do you all think this is?  I don't care if they match-match, but I don't want it to look weird in pictures, either.

Thanks for the advice, and Happy New Year!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: bridesmaid dresses- fabric help!

• Options
    As long as they're all in the same shade of black, the fabric won't be noticeable at all.  My maids wore chiffon, satin, and polyester.  They looked beautiful together because they were all wearing the same color, and had the same hem-length. 

There was even a last-minute dress emergency that would have been devistating had I insisted on matchy matchy dresses.  Because I hadn't dressed them in 'uniform', it was no big deal at all.  Ahhh, less stress.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I think its probably more important to get dresses that are the same length than anything else, if you are trying to get some amount of matching going on. Neckline could also come into play. I'd imagine that giving a guideline like "cocktail length and strapless" or "long with sleeves" is more important to a unified look than the fabric choice, especially if you're going with a color like black. But I've also definitely been to beautiful weddings and seen gorgeous pictures where nothing more than a base color was the same, and everything from shade to length to neckline/sleeves were completely different. If you're going for a more unified but not matchymatchy look, getting fabrics with a similar shine or lack of shine might be a good idea, without specifying one particular fabric.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I "personally" would try to stick to same fabric because of how each might photograph as more shiny vs matte...but that's just my personal opinon...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards