New Hampshire
Options

Dress alteration - opinions please!

So I've been looking for my dress and have tried on probably about 15-20 over the last few weeks.  I found 1 that I love, but unfortunately the neckline is straight across, and I really wanted a sweetheart.  The girls at the store first tried to sell me on using a gathering stitch in the middle, but I really want an actual sweetheart neckline, and I don't like the way it looked when they pinched it.  So then they said they have some great seamstresses and that they could alter the neckline and make it a sweetheart.

I'm really nervous about buying a dress not knowing exactly what it will look like once its altered.  I did ask the store if they had anything similar to the dress I love but with a sweetheart neckline, and they had nothing.

So should I trust the seamstress or just keep looking until I find a dress I love everything about?  I just want it to be perfect and this one isn't, but maybe it could be...

Re: Dress alteration - opinions please!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you at least tried on dresses with a sweetheart neckline to assure you like it ON you? If the answer is yes I would trust a seamstress. I got my dress at M&T and there was a picture of a girl in her dress who had her seamstress alter her neckline into a sweetheart and it was beautiful.

i also have an amazing seamstress to recommend to you depending on where you are located.
  • Options
    FireDancer04FireDancer04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I probably tried on 30-40 dresses and 4 different shops before I found one that I really loved and there are still things I want to change. I kept finding dresses that were almost but not quite. I wouldn't stop just yet but keep it in the back of your mind that you can always have the alterations done.
  • Options
    Rach70489Rach70489 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  For now I am going to keep looking and then this will be the backup if I don't find another one I like more.  I am getting married in October so I am giving myself until the end of Dec. so I will have enough time to get the alterations done if need to.
    I'm from the Nashua area - the 'backup' dress is at Marry and Tux - and would definitely love to get the name of a great seamstress! Thanks!
  • Options
    rashostrashost member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm looking for a seamstress too!  I just got my dress yesterday and I know that it will need to be taken in a bit and hemmed.  I'm not sure I want to use the seamstrees from the place that I bought it from and was looking for some rec's from you girls!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards