New Hampshire
Options

when to go for alterations

I bought my dress at David's Bridal but am not using them for my alterations.  I have found a seamstress in Nashua that has good reviews and that Marry and Tux uses.  I am just curious as to when I should contact them to arrange fittings.  I am getting married Oct. 2?  I have no idea and figured my fellow knotties would know.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: when to go for alterations

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married Oct. 9th.  I figured I would do my first fitting in mid July early August.  This is what my bridal consultant suggested.  So I have already been in contact with them, but have not nailed down a definate date. 
  • Options
    ericcaahericcaah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is April 24 and I have my first fitting this coming Tuesday. The woman I am using does 3 total fittings so I have my first next week, the second fitting March 16, and the final fitting is April 13. I would think that 2-3 months out from the date would be a good time for your first fitting. If you call the seamstress you're planning to work with I'm sure she could give you a timetable as to when to make your appointments as well. Hope this helps!!
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Luv2Cook27Luv2Cook27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto to ericaahs post.  I would also call the seamstress and she will help you out with a timelie for when to go :) My seamstress said I would need 3-4 appointments.  My first one was in Feb, my second is in March.  GL
    ~*Emily*~
    Wedding Bio

Anniversary
  • Options
    dls.1215dls.1215 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married April 24 as well and had my first fitting in January.  2nd in Feb and that is all I will need they think.  I would definitely call the seamstress but most will say 2-3 months in advance.
    April 2010 January SC - Favorite Picture from the Holidays
    DH & I at the Light Festival

Anniversary

PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say call the seamstress. Only she knows what her "load" will be and that way you can set up appointments ahead of time. She will want to know the fabric of the dress, what you would like to have done, if you are the type of bride who plans on going on a crash diet, etc.

GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for bringing this up!  I was starting to get worried as my wedding is in Sept but dress won't come in until June.  I called my alterations lady today at Nora's Alterations in Plaistow (she's very nice and highly recommended!)  She stated that I should have enough time, but had me book my first apt. today (for the end of June) to make sure that I can get a time because she said for obvious reasons the summer is very busy.  It doesn't hurt to get the appointment now, you can always change if something comes up.  That way you can figure out which BM will come for fittings to learn the bussel and if you're doing a lace up back how to do that, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards