Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress Shopping

I am sure this question has been posted a million times but I would still really appreciate anyone’s help! I plan on going wedding dress shopping while I’m home for Thanksgiving. I am trying to plan out the day to make it easiest on everyone. Two places I plan on looking at are in parking lots right next to each other so I was going to plan those ones back to back. Then break for lunch and then hit a third place. Does that sound reasonable? Also, how much time should I actually plan to try dresses on? And what should I try to bring with me? Thank you all so much in advance for your help!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress Shopping

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-shopping-33?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:b5b57d63-93c2-436a-bf4e-7775e0656b76Post:650fe43e-dbae-4bb4-baaa-89ee0ff3cf9c">Dress Shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am sure this question has been posted a million times but I would still really appreciate anyone’s help! I plan on going wedding dress shopping while I’m home for Thanksgiving. I am trying to plan out the day to make it easiest on everyone. Two places I plan on looking at are in parking lots right next to each other so I was going to plan those ones back to back. Then break for lunch and then hit a third place. <strong>Does that sound reasonable? Also, how much time should I actually plan to try dresses on?</strong> And what should I try to bring with me? Thank you all so much in advance for your help!
    Posted by LittleAmez[/QUOTE]

I think this sounds reasonable.

I would find call the bridal store and find out how much time they alot for each appointment. The boutique that I bought my dress from booked an hour for me to try on dresses but would allow you to go over (within reason of course) if they weren't too busy. 

As far as how time to to plan. I don't know if that can really be answered. Each bride is different. I found my dress in 30 minutes but my sister took two hours and one friend bought and tried on three dresses before she found "the one"."

Keep in mind to that if you find "the dress" at one place I would stop looking, Otherwise you will confuse and question yourself.
  • Options
    Oh and all I brought with me was a strapless bra. I don't think anything else is really necessary until you actually start going for fittings. And good luck! :)
  • Options
    I think that is reasonable also. I second the PP.  Call and ask how long the appointment is. Most run either an hour or 90 minutes.  I would give yourself 15 minutes at least, in between.

Then lunch, then on to the third appointment. It is going to be a long day, but totally doable.

Things to bring:  A strapless bra, spanx or other shapeware (if you want/need it).  Some comfortable, but modest panties.  A stranger will be seeing you in your underwear.  Don't wear that lacy thong you have been dying to wear since you bought it.  A ponytail holder if your hair is long.  It gets hot in those dresses.  And a bottle or two of water.

Also, if you know what height shoes you plan to wear, bring a pair.  Even if they aren't THE shoes.  If you know you'll be wearing a 2 or 2.5 inch heel, bring a pair. That will give you an idea of how the dress will look with your shoes on.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-shopping-33?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:b5b57d63-93c2-436a-bf4e-7775e0656b76Post:8b187524-6cfd-4cd6-ae76-e86aaf82e3f0">Re: Dress Shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Dress Shopping : I think this sounds reasonable. I would find call the bridal store and find out how much time they alot for each appointment. The boutique that I bought my dress from booked an hour for me to try on dresses but would allow you to go over (within reason of course) if they weren't too busy.  As far as how time to to plan. I don't know if that can really be answered. Each bride is different. I found my dress in 30 minutes but my sister took two hours and one friend bought and tried on three dresses before she found "the one"." <strong>Keep in mind to that if you find "the dress" at one place I would stop looking, Otherwise you will confuse and question yourself.</strong>
    Posted by SJM7538[/QUOTE]

I kind of disagree with this.  Once you BUY a dress, stop looking.  But don't necessarily rush into buying a dress because you feel like it's the one.  A wedding dress is way too much money to just buy on the spot.  I think it's better to leave the shop, think about it, and look at pictures.  Sometimes you get so wrapped up in the excitement, and pressure from the saleperson and those with you, that you could rush into buying a dress that isn't really the right one.

SaveSave
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-shopping-33?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:b5b57d63-93c2-436a-bf4e-7775e0656b76Post:3a67ff86-f49d-4be0-9e61-aea8f91728cc">Re: Dress Shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dress Shopping : I kind of disagree with this.  Once you BUY a dress, stop looking.  But don't necessarily rush into buying a dress because you feel like it's the one.  A wedding dress is way too much money to just buy on the spot.  I think it's better to leave the shop, think about it, and look at pictures.  Sometimes you get so wrapped up in the excitement, and pressure from the saleperson and those with you, that you could rush into buying a dress that isn't really the right one.
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree. I did something very similar to OP, 3 stores in one day. I found my dress at the second store, but I went to my third appointment, and was underwhelmed by EVERYTHING there. I was probably still obsessing over the other dress. I did go home and sleep on it, and ordered the dress I found at the second store the next morning. I am a pretty decisive person, so that was a long time to wait for me, but I'm glad I did it.</div>
  • Options
    Totally doable. I never spent more than an hour or so in any one store. I agree with taking some time to think it over. Don't let the excitement sweep you up too much. Just have fun and don't feel like you have to buy a dress that day. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-shopping-33?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:b5b57d63-93c2-436a-bf4e-7775e0656b76Post:ab15f834-48b7-436b-bf47-642d96718c51">Re: Dress Shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that is reasonable also. I second the PP.  Call and ask how long the appointment is. Most run either an hour or 90 minutes.  I would give yourself 15 minutes at least, in between. Then lunch, then on to the third appointment. It is going to be a long day, but totally doable. Things to bring:  A strapless bra, spanx or other shapeware (if you want/need it).  <strong>Some comfortable, but modest panties.  A stranger will be seeing you in your underwear.</strong>  Don't wear that lacy thong you have been dying to wear since you bought it.  A ponytail holder if your hair is long.  It gets hot in those dresses.  And a bottle or two of water.   Also, if you know what height shoes you plan to wear, bring a pair.  Even if they aren't THE shoes.  If you know you'll be wearing a 2 or 2.5 inch heel, bring a pair. That will give you an idea of how the dress will look with your shoes on.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree with all of this. And especially don't forget about the bolded part. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, really give some thought about who you bring with you to the appointments. Personally I'd recommend as few people as possible. If you've seen the SYTTD shows I'm sure you'll understand why. I knew that if I brought my whole bridal party that I'd go nuts. Too many opinions and you may feel pressured to get something you aren't 100% sure about just because of the crowd. I went with only my mother and FMIL. It was a great decision and they both really enjoyed the day and had a chance to bond with each other. 
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck and have fun!</div>
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Speaking from personal experience, I'd recommend not wearing a dark coloured panty as well - they can show through some of the gowns, even if it has a full/poofy skirt.

Have fun shopping!
  • Options
    Alfred Angelo booked me a 2 hour appt and I used the whole thing, the same happened with my sister. David's Bridal I had a 1.5 hour appt and I used that too. Mainly because we were taking pictures to send to my Mom in another state.

I brought a strapless bra, that's it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards