Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Bridal Dress Store Out of Business

When I went to my first dress fitting, my tailor asked about whether or not I would need to steam my dress.  When I told her I planned to do my dress steaming at the boutique where I bought my wedding dress, she told me that they went out of business!  Luckily I had picked up my dress before they went out of business, so I didn't have any issues with not getting my dress.  But the boutique gave two complementary steamings to their customers, which I had yet to take advantage of. 

The tailor charges $40 per steam.  I paid full price for my dress and then some for a custom bust modification, and I'm assuming the boutique builds things like complementary steamings into their upsale on their prices.  Thus I really don't think I should have to pay $40 when I've technically already done so.  My tailor has the former boutique owner's cell phone number, so I'm planning on calling her and asking if she can pay for my steaming at the tailor's.  The owner was very nice, and I dealt with her on more than one occasion since my sister bought her dress with her as well.  I'm just afraid that she might have the attitude that she doesn't have to do a thing to help me out since she doesn't have a reputation to maintain anymore.  I'm not doing a bridal portrait or anything where I need to wear my dress more than once, so I'm only going to ask for one steaming rather than the two I was due.

Long story short, I just wanted some second opinions that I'm doing the right thing.  I know $40 may sound trivial in the grand scheme of things, but we are paying for the wedding ourselves at this point and we are budgeting everything down to the last dime.

Re: Bridal Dress Store Out of Business

• Options
    I would definitely not call her cell. I'm guessing she went out of business because she has no money. Suck it up and pay for it yourself. It would have been paid for by the company, but sinc she doesn't have the company anymore, she technically owes you nothing. Like PP, Just be happy you have your dress!!
  • Options
    I'm with other posters.  Be thankful you got your dress before the store went out of business.  Suck it up and pay $40, as I'm sure the business owner has a lot of problems right now and is no longer obligated to help you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If you call and ask for compensation for the steaming, I would not ask for $40 up front.  Most bridal stores in my area steam the dress for free if you purchased it there.  I'm having alterations done at a store closer to me (the store where I bought the dress is over 2 hours away, so not so practical to go for fittings), and the seamstress said it would be $20 for them to steam it since I didn't buy there.  I know regions vary, but $40 is probably way beyond the cost of actually doing the steaming. 

And, as PPs said, lucky you got your dress before they went under!
  • Options

A similar thing happened to me..I had paid upfront for my dress to come in hemmed. Well, when the dress came in it was several inches too long. The lady at the bridal shop said that they would cover it through an independent seamstress who would also be doing my bustle. Well, after I took my dress home and scheduled my appointment, I found out that the bridal shop was going out of business.

I told the seamstress about the issue and she said that she woud call the owner and see if they would still be covering the hem. I was prepared to pay for it...again, but they were able to cover it like they said they would.

I would ask your tailor about it and see if they could get in touch with the shop owner instead of you calling personally. If they won't help you, then just suck it up and pay. I know that its a pain and really you shouldn't have to pay for the steam, but thank goodness you got your dress before they closed their doors.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    I wouldn't call her. Maybe you can ask around town if someone will steam it for free. Other than that, just pay for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards