Attire & Accessories Forum

Seamstress Vent

Just got a call from my seamstress saying that she is unable to shorten the hem on my dress 2 inches. Apparently the scallped lace trim isn't a separate piece like she had thought. So she says either I purchase shoes 2 inches higher (no way I could walk in those) or purchase a separate petticoat. I already paid $70 for the first one!

I'm so frustrated that she's had this dress for 6 weeks, pinned it up for my final fitting on Saturday, and now all of the sudden, 4 days before I'm supossed to pick it up, she realizes she can't shorten it. I suggested maybe she could sew in more material into the existing petticoat, but even then I'm frustrated because she suggested all this at the first fitting and I told her I didn't want an extremely poufy dress. Is there another solution that I'm overlooking?

Re: Seamstress Vent

• I would go and get your dress from this seamstress and find another one. 

With lace edges that cannot be removed for hemming, the dress will most likely need to be taken up at the waist to keep all the detail in place.

• My dress also had a scalloped edge at the hem.  Before ordering it, the bridal shop was adamant that I understood with such detail at the hem, the dress had to be ordered and made for my height.  Hemming it later was not an option.  Not all dresses were constructed like mine, however, and sometimes things can be re-worked at the waist to pull up the bottom.  I find it interesting that your seamstress didn't know which was the case before now, but I'm not a seamstress.

If she can't give you any option you are happy with, I'd take it to another seamstress.  Is walking in higher heels an option for you?  I think I'd cut off the scalloped edge before I walked in two inch heels, but I'm a menance in heels.
  • It seems crazy that she can't take it up at the waist.  Every seamstress I spoke to recommended that as a hem option.
  • i'd definitely get a 2nd opinon on that dress. seems silly that theres nothing she could do (take it up at the waist, tuck some fabric SOMEWHERE to make it work, add a layer underneath to poof the dress out a tiny bit and make it appear shorter, etc.

worst case, would you be willing to go up an inch on the heels?  2 is a lot, but 1 might not be so bad, and it would help the dress situation too.  again, a worst case solution.
  • Only a handful of seamstresses can do this alteration. I bought a sample dress that has 3 inch  border around the lace. I was told when they pull my hem up they will do it from the top not the bottom, and that many seamstresses do not do this. My dress will be altered either by the designer or one of her apprentices. I'd start frantically calling right now to try to find someone who can alter the length from the waist, because it can be done.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    I also had a dress that couldn't be hemmed so we ordered it with a hollow-to-hem measurement. If the dress doesn't have a seam at the waist, she may have to lift it from the top, which is a big job. Would you meet in the middle and do a slightly poofier crinoline AND a heel that is 1 inch higher?
  • Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I'm going to see what adding to the petticoat does, but I don't think I'll be able to find someone else on such short notice to do an apparently tricky job.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards