Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Ball gowns on petite brides - thoughts?

I'm 5'-1", size 0/2 in regular dresses. I never thought I'd be interested, but suddenly find myself attracted to ball gowns. I did try this on, but wasn't crazy about it (though am unclear if that was a factor of the cut, material, etc - plus it was so long it was hard to gauge how it would actually look hemmed):

http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?gid=1&sfid=51196

What do people think? Are ball gowns overwhelming for a petite bride? Or do you think it depends on the girl and the dress?

Re: Ball gowns on petite brides - thoughts?

• Options
    I'm 5'-1", size 0/2 in regular dresses. I never thought I'd be interested, but suddenly find myself attracted to ball gowns. I did try this on, but wasn't crazy about it (though am unclear if that was a factor of the cut, material, etc - plus it was so long it was hard to gauge how it would actually look hemmed):

http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?gid=1&sfid=51196

What do people think? Are ball gowns overwhelming for a petite bride? Or do you think it depends on the girl and the dress?
  • Options
    definitely depends on the girl and the dress.  i say if it fits right and you love it, go for it.
  • Options
    I think it depends on you're style, what you want, and how you feel in the dress. If you find a ballgown that you are in love with then go for it. If you are unsure about how it looks on you then it's probably not your dress. Just go with your gut and how you feel in the dress.
  • Options
    If it is what you want and you are in love with it, go for it. I am smaller as well, size 5 in pants, (but not as small as you) and when I tried on full poofy ball gowns/skirts, they just swallowed me up. Judging by the pic in the link, I would think something like that would be fine on you as it is not nearly as full and poofy as some of them I have seen. If you could show us a pic of you with it on, we may be able to help you a little better as well.
  • Options
    I am a short bride ( I'm only 5'0 tall) and I tried on a few ball gowns. The skirts on the gowns I tried on started at my hips and due to that and the size of the skirt I looked pretty squat in them. The dress I bought has an A line skirt (not as full as a ball gown) that starts at my natural waist line. This dress make me look a little taller and is more flattering on my short frame. Looking at the dress in the link you provided I think that dress will be flattering on a short frame because from what it looks like the skirt does start higher than the hip and the skirt is not huge.
  • Options
    Personally, I'd look stumpy or like a cupcake in a ball gown.  But when I think ball gown, I think big poofy thing.  I think that particular dress would work, it's not overly poofy. It looks like a lot of the POB 'ball gowns' don't have gigantic skirts.
  • Options
    If you love it, go for it.

However, I WILL say, I'm about your size and I ended up going with a sheath because I personally felt a lot less overwhelmed by the dress. I'm sure you'll look beautiful though. To each their own.
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I think the dress you showed might work.  It's not overwhelming.  As such, I wouldn't rule it out.  I am 5'2" and 100 pounds and I technically bought a ballgown from Priscilla of Boston.  It's the Melissa Sweet Harlow (http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?gid=1&sfid=51096) .  It looks great on me, and my mom and friend agreed.  But so many of the other ballgowns I tried on in stores were overwhelming.  I'd go with something more towards A-line with a little ballgown flair.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I am 5'1" myself and I think that gown would look fine on you as long as you didnt go nuts with a mega-full petticoat beneath it.  Though I would check to see if it came in petite sizing so that the bodice doesn't have to be completly altered to fit you.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i think it depends i'm 5 2 and  I love the way the ball gown looked ,and really wanted one until I put on a sleek evening gown cut trumpet, suddenly I looked tall, thin and commanding, the ballgowns made me look like a delicate doll not a bad look, but ultimatly not what I ended up wanting. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards