Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Is it normal to second guess your dress choice??

Hello, 
      So I purchased my wedding gown a few weeks ago and didn't think twice when buying it.  I bought a sample so it can't be returned.  Now I'm having second thoughts.  I had always pictured myself in some kind of fit and flare/mermaid/trumpet and ended up with a ball gown.  

and it's the madelyn marie- so laced bodice.

I shoped at 2 different stores on the same day and was also ready to be done. I was afraid if i kept shopping I'd get lost in all the dresses.  I tried on probalby 30ish.  We even had the weepy crying moment in my dress.  I guess I'm just wondering if any other brides felt this way.  Thanks for your help!!
-Michelle

Re: Is it normal to second guess your dress choice??

• Options
    I went through the same thing. Always wanted a mermaid dress or and fun funky dress but ended up with a traditional ballgown. My sister started to cry when she saw me in the dress. Since she and I aren't that close I thought that was a good choice. Now only a few weeks away from my date and having tried on my dress now, I love it!!! Phew! But I did purchase a fun funky reception dress too. I think you were probably like me and was getting overwhelmed with so many dresses.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Perfectly normal to second guess, heck I've been married 2 years and still second guess my dress ;)

That being said, you bought your dress for a reason, I bet it looked beautiful on you. It is a gorgeous dress. Most girls have a vision of what dress they will wear on the big day, but
    that's not always what flatters us the best. This one obviously your dress.

Remember how great you felt in it and move on to the next part of you wedding. Accessories!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Absolutely normal. I did it many moons ago when I was married. DD did it a few months ago after ordering her dress. 

If you loved it and had the weepy moment, it's right. 
  • Options
    Your dress is gorgeous. Sometimes what we have in our minds as what we WANT isn't actually what we NEED- what looks best on us. I prefer a ballgown to a mermaid- it's a personal opinion, but I feel a ballgown is more classic, and won't look as trendy in photos 40 years from now. You bought that dress for a reason, it's lovely, you'll be gorgeous in it. So yeah, it's totally normal, but just remember you got the dress that's right for you- it can be hard to let go of the dress in our minds!
  • Options
    I also second guessed my dress.  I think it's really common, seeing as there are thousands and thousands of dresses out there. Even if you aren't "looking" per se just through wedding planning in general you are always bombarded by tons of photos of models with perfect bodies wearing gorgeous dresses.

Gorgeous dress!  Stick with it =]
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Yes I second guessed mine as well.  Totally normal.  Don't forget that the dress will be even more your own once fitted to you and coordinated with your accessories.  The whole is greater than the sum of the parts :-)
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    Like PP said, this is very normal.  I went shopping with my mom and my aunt and bought one of the first dresses I saw.  I got home and thought, "....OMG, what have I just done?"  The more I looked at pictures of myself in the dress from the store, the more I hated it.  It wasn't me.  I called the store back the next business and they were willing to work with me.  They let me take the deposit from dress 1 and put it on dress 2.  The second dress was more expensive than I wanted, but I LOVED it.  I felt great about that dress choice and even other customers in the store would compliment me on it as they shopped.

Even still, I would second-guess myself constantly up until my fitting a month before my wedding.  When I tried it on at the fitting, I remembered exactly why I had bought that dress -- I felt amazing in it and it just looked really good on my body shape.  When you try your dress on again, you'll remember exactly why you picked it.

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My dress is totally against everything I thought I wanted! I had been looking for something with straps, like a v-neck or halter. I also said I hated pickups. I ended up with a strapless dress with pickups! I figured out I do like the pickups like on my dress - the more random ones, not the ones that are measured out perfectly.

I second guess my choice ALL the time. I'll randomly think, oh no, did I make a mistake? Am I going to find something I like better or be disappointed in my choice? That's when I pull up a picture of me in the dress and the doubt goes away. It's just so pretty and makes me look great!

I'd suggest not trying on any dresses now. I don't know if you were thinking of it, but don't do it unless you're sure you have the money to buy something new and be out the money for the other. I talked my friend out of trying on another dress recently. She originally had one picked out at DB, which was cute. But the dress she got is just GORGEOUS on her. We were at DB the other day to look at BM dresses for my wedding and she thought about trying on the first one. I talked her out of it because I didn't want her to either buy another dress or end up liking that one more and not be able to have it.

Just remember you got it for a reason! Imagine walking down the aisle in it and hoepfully the doubt will go away :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    retaviatoretaviato member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Committing to a dress represents a type of finality. There are millions of othe dresses out there, so it's natural to wonder about choice.

"Is there a dress that might be a better fit? Should I have looked around longer? If I keep looking and find a dress I like better, what do I do? Or do I NOT look and always wonder if I made the best dress choice?"

Substitute the word "guy" for dress and you may find the reason for vacillating.

Look at it this way - What other major purchase do you make and then keep shopping for that item? Essentially you're saying "I bought a wedding dress last weekend! Next weekend -- I'm shopping for a wedding dress!"  Just like with guys - at some point you have to be satisfied that you made a good choice for yourself and be satisfied with it, commit to it and move on to other items on your list of things you must do.
  • Options
    Yep, totally normal.  I got married 2 weeks ago and I'm still not 100% sure I wore the right dress.

But I looked and felt great on my wedding day, so, really, what more could I have wanted?

Don't think so much about the style of the dress...  Think about how it makes you feel.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your help!! I really appreciate it.  I think it will all be fine :) Just like everyone said, I need to move on to the next thing.  My dress is gorgeous and will be beautiful at the venue. (I should probably stop watching Say yes to the dress as well ... That probably isn't helping anything) ;) 
  • Options
    hi im looking to by a dress for my sister weding in august
  • Options
    I'm taking my dress second-guessing anxiety out on tie-shopping for my fiancé. He's...less than thrilled. Poor man. Good man.
  • Options
    The dress you picked is beautiful.  I love Maggie Sottero gowns.  The laced bodice is super flattering.

I have been second guessing my gown as well.  I guess I just want everyone to think "wow that is the most beautiful bride ever", and when I look at photos 30 years from now, I want to think "wow, I looked amazing in that dress".  And the fact is the dress I bought is beautiful, and its nothing I've ever seen. I keep showing my dress to different people, and they keep telling me, "Wow thats beautiful!" And that gives me a boost in confidence for a while.  I also like expats14 advice of taking it out on the groom while tie shopping. :)

• Options
    I'm actually going through a similar situation.... 
    I bought my Vera Wang White dress YESTERDAY and when searching for the photo of the dress I actually bought, what do I see in my google search? AN EVEN MORE RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING DRESS that is coming out next month (same line, new collection that I didnt even know existed!) 

So, I feel ike an idiot, if I had known to wait to try this dress when it comes out in December I would have. 

I love the dress I already bought but the new one I saw is just incredible, and actually costs less. My mom said I'm being ridiculous...but should I always wonder "what if?" 

Maybe I should try and sell my new dress when it comes in February? 
    It's this one: 

And here's the new one I just fell in love with - and I;ve been looking for colour specifically! 

HELP!!!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_is-it-normal-to-second-guess-your-dress-choice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:b84ae125-2feb-491d-872f-56c0baa1bd53Post:c93437f3-4622-4039-bb02-bd980e5051f2">Re: Is it normal to second guess your dress choice??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm actually going through a similar situation....  I bought my Vera Wang White dress YESTERDAY and when searching for the photo of the dress I actually bought, what do I see in my google search? AN EVEN MORE RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING DRESS that is coming out next month (same line, new collection that I didnt even know existed!)  So, I feel ike an idiot, if I had known to wait to try this dress when it comes out in December I would have.  I love the dress I already bought but the new one I saw is just incredible, and actually costs less. My mom said I'm being ridiculous...but should I always wonder "what if?"  Maybe I should try and sell my new dress when it comes in February?  It's this one:  <a href="http://www.davidsbridal.ca/Product_Ball-Gown-with-Chantilly-Lace-Appliques-at-Bodice-VW351135?cm_sp_o=3AE%20vv%20ewyz%20dkzlt%20H05wybwEgwCjCPybpzk%207BcElCjCe8NDvvND" rel="nofollow">http://www.davidsbridal.ca/Product_Ball-Gown-with-Chantilly-Lace-Appliques-at-Bodice-VW351135?cm_sp_o=3AE%20vv%20ewyz%20dkzlt%20H05wybwEgwCjCPybpzk%207BcElCjCe8NDvvND</a> And here's the new one I just fell in love with - and I;ve been looking for colour specifically!  <a href="http://abcnews.go.com/Business/slideshow/affordable-vera-wang-spring-2013-wedding-gowns-debut-17399275" rel="nofollow">http://abcnews.go.com/Business/slideshow/affordable-vera-wang-spring-2013-wedding-gowns-debut-17399275</a> HELP!!!
    Posted by AngeGemini[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>They have this dress at the David's Bridal near me. I tried it just before ultimately ordering your first dress. It's definitely more whimsical and unique, but isn't nearly as flattering as the first ball gown. I'd go and try it on and see if you still prefer it, If so, I'm sure you either get David's to exchange it or resell it for a small loss on oncewed or recycledbride. Hope this helps!

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards