Attire & Accessories Forum

Crinoline: how do hoop skirts work?

I am buying a crinoline/ petticoat for my dress.  A majority of the selection are hoop skirts.  When you sit down with a hoop skirt underneath your dress, do the hoops flip up so anyone  sitting in front of you can see your legs ... or will it lie down like a non-hooped petticoat?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Re: Crinoline: how do hoop skirts work?

• Most, if not all, of DB's crinolines are not hoop skirts if you're interested in a non hoop skirt.

I don't have experience with them myself but I would imagine that they would not be as comfortable as regular crinolines.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you sit down on it correctly you won't get the hoops fliping up. The best way to sit down in it is before you sit down pull up the skirt a little in the back and set it on the chair, then sit down. You don't need to pull the entire skirt on the chair. Just make sure you don't sit down directly on one of the smaller bones as it will cause it to flip up.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2009
    I had many hoop gowns as a teenager. Yes, it is possible for a hoop to "flip" when sitting but doesn't usually happen. You should practice walking in them, if you typically don't have a graceful walk you can get the hoop swaying and you don't want that. When you walk in a hoop it should look like you are floating as you walk.

As far as comfort, they are as comfortable as crinolines.  Try both on, try walking and sitting in both.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_crinoline-hoop-skirts-work?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:b86b989c-2b69-43ff-9231-4dfdafce6655Post:4b786011-d824-492c-bb44-35a1a8be6307">Re: Crinoline: how do hoop skirts work?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you sit down on it correctly you won't get the hoops fliping up. The best way to sit down in it is before you sit down pull up the skirt a little in the back and set it on the chair, then sit down. You don't need to pull the entire skirt on the chair. Just make sure you don't sit down directly on one of the smaller bones as it will cause it to flip up.
    Posted by Ciaram22[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. You also may want to just practice sitting in it ( as well as walking so your dress doesn't sway a lot). Sure, your FI may think you are weird prancing around in a hoop while getting use to it, but it definitely is worth the 5 minutes ( or less).

I wore a hoop with my gown. I loved it b/c it kept the shape better and was also not as hot ( got married on Labor Day weekend).
  • Thank you all so much for your advice!  Much appreciated :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards