Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Is a reception dress necessary??

Should I buy a reception dress to wear at the reception or stay in my bridal gown??

Re: Is a reception dress necessary??

• Options

Reception dresses are not necessary.  It's perfectly acceptable to wear your gown.  Most brides do.

If your gown has a train, you may want to bustle it for the reception though to keep it out of the way.

Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    it's up to you. I know I won't be because I spent a lot of money on my gown so I want to make use of it as much as I can. I think it's a new trend happening but I don't think its necessary

• Options
    I've personally never seen a bride change dresses, and I honestly don't see the point of it.  Wedding dresses aren't cheap, and you only get to wear it 1 day anyways, so I was definitely wearing it the full day.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I won't wear one either!  I love my wedding dress and I chose it so that I can also have fun in it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    thanks ladies!! you were a big help.
  • Options
    It's up to you and the style of your event.  Personally I am not buying a reception dress. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think it's completely unneccesary in most instances.  You wear your wedding dress once; why not get the most use of out as possible?  I have only been to 1 wedding where the bride changed (only b/c she wore her Mom's weding dress and wouldn't have been comfortable to dance and this was her taste). 
  • Options
    I am not a fan. First, not only is another expense, but if I am spending a fair amount of money on my gown, I don't want to just wear it for a 30 min. ceremony and pics and take it off. I'm buying one I love for a reason so I can enjoy it and show it off. But I agree: if you have a train, you'll have to bustle it so you're not stepping all over it. I have been to a couple weddings where towards the end of the reception, the bride changed into a pair of sweats that said "Bride" on the back. Many guests had already left and she wanted to be comfy :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I've never seen a bride change either.  But just so you know, there are wedding dresses out there with detachable bottoms so that you can wear a party dress for your reception.  The choice is totally up to you and what you'd like to wear.
    Goodluck and Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!!
  • Options
    I think reception dresses are a bad idea. A ceremony is typically only 1/2 an hour. My mom spent 6k on my wedding gown, she would be heart broken if I changed out of it and into some weird looking white cocktail dress. You only get to wear your dress once. You will have to pry me out of mine, I'm not going to want to take it off. 
  • Options
    A reception dress is practically the definition of "unnecessary."  I think there's a picture in Webster's and everything.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I'm with PPs.  Mostly because of the expense - the bigger, more elaborate dress is usually the ceremony/photo dress, and people change in to something smaller for the reception.  I'd like to wear my big expensive dress as long as possible, even if it's more uncomfortable to walk/dance in!  Get my money's worth.
  • Options
    Nope, your choice. I have a cute white dress with black sash that I might change into as we leave the reception, but I will totally be rockin my dress during the reception-- I might as well wear it as much as possible
    Sarah Kropf Wedding Countdown Ticker 98image 12image 4image
  • Options
    I got a second dress just incase i host my wedding in my back yard. we live out in the country and there is alot the dress could be hung up on. So i bought a shorter tealength dress made with similar material so it would be kinda like the baby sister of my big dress. Besides it was only 50 bucks. But it gives me an option of after party without the possibility of ruining my beautiful dress.
  • Options

Agree with pp's that it's not necessary at all as long as you're still reasonably comfortable for the party once you bustle your train, remove your veil, change your shoes, etc.  If you ever watch "Four Weddings" the spectators usually don't like it when the bride changes her dress.  If you have $ to spare and have your heart set on getting another dress, pp had a good idea about getting a shorter dress to change into as a "going away" or after-party outfit.

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards