New Hampshire
Options

Wearing a right hand ring on your wedding day

Hi Ladies,

I had a thought about my right hand promise ring FI gave me for Christmas about 3 years ago.  Can I wear this on my right hand on my wedding day assuming it goes with my other jewelry?  I'm not sure what the ettique on rings other than not wearing your engagement ring is.

Also, it's a pretty ring with dark blue saphire stones...can that be my something blue or is that like cheating?

TY!

Re: Wearing a right hand ring on your wedding day

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what finger you wear it on but generally ladies wear their engagement ring on the right ring finger until after the ceremony leaving the left ring finger free and clear for a nice new wedding band. 

I dont see any reason why you cant wear it, but you might want to keep the above in mind. 

GL!! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OK I just re read that... I meant to say " I don't know what finger you wear the promise ring on" 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL is letting me borrow her mother's ring with a blue stone in it (not sure what it is, just not a sapphire). I'll wear that on my right ring finger and my engagement ring with it as well. I'll probably wear my e-ring on my left hand until I walk down the aisle, and then I'll do the switcheroo.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_wearing-right-hand-ring-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:101Discussion:bca974e6-7003-425a-b3ff-3570d442e478Post:21fcd02f-06c6-4eda-943d-58e8fbd69f6c">Re: Wearing a right hand ring on your wedding day</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure what finger you wear it on but generally ladies wear their engagement ring on the right ring finger until after the ceremony leaving the left ring finger free and clear for a nice new wedding band.  I dont see any reason why you cant wear it, but you might want to keep the above in mind.  GL!! 
    Posted by amandasblum[/QUOTE]

Uh OH!!  I just tried my ring on my other hand and it doesn't fit....my sausage fingers are such a pain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mlhw NHmlhw NH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I am wearing a sapphire ring that FI gave to me on my right hand.  I am going to give my e-ring to my MOH to hold until after I place my wedding band.  I don't know of any ettiquette rules around this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't see why this would be a problem.  I'm planning on wearing my e-ring on my left hand and then putting my band on at the ceremony the way it is.  Before the reception I'll switch them so the band is on the inside.  I may also wear a ring on my right hand that FI gave me for my birthday the first year we were together.  And I also don't think calling it your something blue is cheating.  HTH!  ;-)
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • Options
    FireDancer04FireDancer04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll be doing the same thing as cg-pm mostly because my e-ring doesn't fit on my right hand. I have a sapphire e-ring and plan on counting that as my something blue, but I also have my blue shoes :).
  • Options
    mrussell1983mrussell1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have seen a decent amount of brides sporting right hand rings on their wedding day for a number of reasons. I

Glad to hear I am not the only one who cannot fit their ring on their right hand. I have arthritis and found a few months ago that I cannot fit my e-ring on ANY other finger! I started to panic, but I figured there was no way I was the first person to have this happen to. Glad to hear other ladies are keeping it on the same finger and just switching them around right after the ceremony!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's so funny about your right hands!  My left hand fingers are bigger than my right so thankfully I can fit both my e ring and promise ring on the same right ring finger.  I never heard of wearing the e-ring on right hand during the ceremony but I love it!  I also don't want to lose my ring so what a good way to keep it safe.

I love the idea of the blue shoes.  I really just want to wear old navy flip flops for the ceremony and reception because that's who I am but I'm getting a lot of slack. I have to wait and see if my dress ever comes in how it will fit (like if the dress is too long I'll just wear a heal for pics only) but my girls will be wearing navy blue old navy flip flops and maybe I will do the same thing how fun!

Thanks ladies
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used my e-ring as part of the ceremony.  I gave it to my MOH to hold, and at the right time, she gave it to DH to give back to me. 

"Groom, please take Bride's engagement ring. This ring is the symbol of promise and intention. Now the intention has been realized and the promise fulfilled. Please place this ring on Bride's finger over her wedding band to symbolize that the love that brought you together will always protect and sustain your marriage."

We got a lot of compliments on this. 

• Options
    mrussell1983mrussell1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chayer, that is so great! What a perfect way to celebrate what came before as well as what is yet to come!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards