New Hampshire

any advice for the "not so typical reception venue"

We just recently got engaged and are looking into places in NH for our wedding. We are paying a lot of it by ourselves and arent really into the stuffy kind of wedding. I am feeling more of a laid back but fun barn wedding but my fiance isnt feeling it as much as I am. Any ideas or good places to start out at so we can get looking and set a date somewhere?

Re: any advice for the "not so typical reception venue"

• FireDancer04FireDancer04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board and congrats.

Before you start looking at venues compile a guest list and budget. 

Also where are you looking? What areas? How far are you willing to travel?
  • edited December 2011
    Redhook Brewery is a big one around here (Portsmouth, NH area)...not sure where you're from?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    290image Made the Cut!!
    175image Are Ready to Party!!
    56image Are Party Poopers!!
    59image Still Checking the Calendar!!

• edited December 2011

Congratulations! Not sure where you are looking but the Stonewall Farm in Keene is nice.

• edited December 2011
    We are getting married at Flag HIll Winery in Lee, NH. It's a little different than a normal venue.
  • deerfield07deerfield07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Zorvino Vineyards!  I also was looking for something different.  Something much more casual and something that wasn't your typical banquet hall or golf course.  We got married in September at Zorvino's in Sandown.  The place is beautiful, the food is amazing, and the people you get to work with are fun and down to earth.  They are very responsive and will go to great lengths to make your wedding a very special day.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all!! I will be sure to look into all of them. I am from the seacoast area and we have a lot of golf courses and hotels around here for ceremonies. We are pretty much open to anything east of the modadnock region.
  • edited December 2011
    elahenaraJoined on 
    05-04-2009
    NEW HAMPSHIRETotal posts: 564We are getting married at Flag HIll Winery in Lee, NH. It's a little different than a normal venue.www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" target="_blank">Wedding Countdown Ticker 
    May 2011 November Siggy - What I'm Thankful For 

my darling furkids, and my friends inside and outside of the rabbit community :)
    How has it been planning a wedding there?
  • edited December 2011
    Fisher Cat's Stadium
  • edited December 2011
    now thats definitely interesting. Is the stadium good for a large party? We are going to have about 115 people.
  • edited December 2011
    We had our reception at Fratello's but I think they'd let you do a reception at the stadium.  The boxes there are awesome.  If you do it just after the season ends you might be able to hold the reception in the Sam Adams bar and grill.  The cost to hold the ceremony was about the same as a local chapel.

Out of town guests can stay at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Drop me an e-mail if you want any contact info or other info.
  • Flagstones925Flagstones925 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing ours at the Harris Center in Hancock, NH (in the Monadnock Area, about 20 minutes from Keene). Its an environmental conservation center that also does events like weddings, not a typical event venue. They have a lot of outdoor space and some nice indoor space as well, and is also very reasonably priced for the venue rental cost. You also have the place for the whole day, which is great. Its a fairly casual place, and holds up to 130 people. Out of town guests can stay in the Hancock Inn or in nearby Keene. Let me know if you have any questions :)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    The vineyard weddings are beautiful and different. I went to a wedding recently at Flag Hill Winery in Lee, NH and it was fun, laid back and elegant at the same time. another non-traditional idea is Fosters Clam Bake in York, Maine. I know it may be a hike for you depending where you are but those a tons of fun. A girlfriend of mine had her reception at a local farm and called Muddy River to host a pig roast for her reception
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards