Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Lights Under Dress??

I'm having a New Year's Eve 2010 wedding and I thought about putting lights under my dress.  I've looked online everyone and only saw one occurance with lights under a wedding dress (but it was made for or with the dress).  Is this a good idea/surprise?  Any thoughts/suggestions welcome!

This is the dress I found -

This is my dress -

-Amber, New Year's Eve 2010

Re: Lights Under Dress??

• Options
    If you like it, that's fine. But it seems a little different, I've never heard of it. You could definitely do lights in other places...under table skirts or in vases on tables...etc.  Can you link to the pic you found?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    410image Invited
    253image Accepted
    130image Declined
    48image Waiting

http://frommillertocarlson.weebly.com/
  • Options
    I vote no. Aside from the fact that it could look incredibly strange, you could risk things like a fire, getting hot, or just plain turning your dress see-through. Talk about a wardrobe malfunction.
  • Options
    A friend of mine got to try on one of the courtier costumes for the Cinderella unit of the Disney Electrical Parade: basically a large formal gown covered in lights.  From what she informed me about after her audition come three relevant points:

1) Sucker was HEAVY and took some practice to move in properly
    2) It looked pretty weird in daylight
    3) During the audition, she heard that one of the dancers in the '80s got a short in her battery pack and CAUGHT FIRE mid-parade.

None of these facts, taken separately or all as one, scream, "Yeah, that's a good idea on my wedding day."
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    That's just a little weird, IMHO. And also because of all the safety issues brought up by pp.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In the end, it's up to you.

But as you asked for opinions, I say no.  I don't think it really looks that good, and as PP's have said, it poses a real risk of fire/other malfunction. 

What is it that you like about this idea?  There might be other ways to incorporate an an unexpected element, a surprise or something different into your look.
    image Final Count: 80 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I say NO. My neice had a butterfly halloween costume last year that lit up. it is cute for a 5 yr old.
  • Options
    I have to vote no as well...just not a good idea IMO.  Why don't you dye your crinny a fun color instead or something like that?
  • Options
    Thanks for the opinions! It really gets me thinking. 

I like the "different" aspect of it.  You never see anyone with a light up dress and it's New Year's! I don't like the yellowish color of the lights in the picture above, I'd go for a more White/Blue color. 

Thanks again!
    -Amber, New Year's Eve 2010
  • Options
    I like the dress without the lights
  • Options
    I don't know if it would work with your particular dress, but if you do it, use LED lights and a battery pack. I've seen instructions for making clothes with lights underneath and I think Diana Eng may talk about it in one of her "fairytale fashion" videos.
  • Options
    My vote was no.  I understand wanting to do something different for a New Years Wedding, but IMO, the idea is strange, not different.  How about adding LED lights to your bouquet?
  • Options
    I like the bouquet idea way better than the dress idea. You could even do little lights in the boutonnières. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    410image Invited
    253image Accepted
    130image Declined
    48image Waiting

http://frommillertocarlson.weebly.com/
  • Options
    My vote is for lights in the boquet/bouts and even centerpieces. There's probably a reason WHY lights under the dress isnt too common. Like pp said it all comes down to safety. All in all I think lights under the dress is not a good idea, but lights in the flowers would be cool!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I think your idea is awesome. Weddings these days seem to be so stuffy. If you like the look of having lights on your dress ( i like it too) you should do it. Dont let anyone tell you that it simply isn't done. Weddings dont have to be stuffy and formal. Have fun with it.

• Options
    I want to point out that the dress with the lights seems to have a sheer layer on the skirt, which makes the lights visible from the outside.  Yours looks to be a heavy satin, which would mean to me that the little lights won't really show all that well. 

That's my two cents.  I don't have a strong opinion on it either way, really.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    That looks 100% tacky.
  • Options
    LOL

"She can uh... She can uh...
    She can uh...uh...uh...
    They'll never make her pitch.
    Me, I uh... and I uh...
    And I uh...uh...uh...
    But I do it with a switch.
    I'm electrifying
    And I ain't even trying.
    I never had to sweat to get paid
    'Cause if you got a gimmick
    Gypsy girl, you got it made."

(Holla if you get the reference.)
    Photobucket
  • Options
     First of all, your dress is satin, and the other is organza. Organza is transparent, satin is opaque-- and if it is good quality satin then it is very opaque. You will definitely not get the effect you are going for with your dress. It just isn't the same thing.
      Also, there are some things that are unusual not because they are a unique and interesting idea, but because everyone thinks they're cheesey. This falls into the latter category. We've seen the light-up dress on this board before. It lives in infamy as one of the most-berated ideas ever to be posted.
  • Options
    That dress is gorgeous and trying to light it would turn it into a super duper cheese-fest. Do you really want that on your wedding day? Not to mention, I absolutely abhore the yellow tint that the lights are giving off....yellow is very hard coior to pull off that is quite unflattering for most people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_lights-under-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:d3a35500-66f3-49c3-a207-4de9de3b53bdPost:46421811-51e9-4815-a0d1-aaa325362df0">Re: Lights Under Dress??</a>:
    [QUOTE] First of all, your dress is satin, and the other is organza. Organza is transparent, satin is opaque-- and if it is good quality satin then it is very opaque. You will definitely not get the effect you are going for with your dress. It just isn't the same thing.   Also, there are some things that are unusual not because they are a unique and interesting idea, but because everyone thinks they're cheesey. This falls into the latter category. <strong>We've seen the light-up dress on this board before. It lives in infamy as one of the most-berated ideas ever to be posted.</strong>
    Posted by cqbride[/QUOTE]
    I thought it was the same one!
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards