Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Broad shoulders...help!

I have played softball my whole life and am fairly muscular...although I haven't played for about a year, and have lost about 20 lbs of muscle since I've quit, I still have rather muscular arms and pretty broad shoulders for a girl. Does anyone have any suggestions for what style of dress would look good on me? My fiance wants me to get a strapless dress but I think that will make my shoulders look super wide. I need help!

Re: Broad shoulders...help!

• Options
    I have broad shoulders as well and I find strapless dresses very flattering.  For my wedding I actually wore a one shoulder dress which was also very flattering on my frame.  V-neck dresses are also a good choice.

I would recommend that if you do get a strapless dress to forgo the straight across top for something sith a slight scoop or sweetheart shape.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_broad-shouldershelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:d474ac7e-02cf-4f32-a4d6-eccf929e3a35Post:b4f5288f-3052-4a8c-9117-dae7cb3a4e88">Re: Broad shoulders...help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have broad shoulders as well and I find strapless dresses very flattering. Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

I agree! I have the same problem and I had a strapless as well. But, I recommend you try on several styles, you may be surprised.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Halter syle is a good choice too!
  • Options
    I'm broad shouldered and busty and ended up with a strapless sweetheart neckline. Small straps weren't as flattering as thick ones, and halters were hit or miss but I think that was more about my chest than shoulders. I found that the skirt needed to be fuller to balance myself out, didn't need to be super huge just a fuller A-line. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I am in the same boat as you - I was a swimmer my whole life and despite not being competitive in 5 years, I still have the massive shoulders and T-shaped body.  I love halters, but actually find that they tend to accentuate my big shoulders, and because I do have a small waist in comparison to my huge shoulders, strapless actually kind of accentuates how big my shoulders are as well.  I am having one shoulder strap added onto my strapless gown to take away from the shoulder issue - I would highly recommend doing this! It's pretty and helps camouflage and divert the eyes from the shoulders.  I am also having my dress converted into a sweetheart neckline to "soften" the look.  Really thick straps are great too - I tried on a few that were flattering on me, but not my style. 
  • Options
    One of my BMs had exactly the build you described (also a softball player!).  She wore a BM gown that had a slight sweetheart neckline, with a very thin halter strap (thick shoelace thin).  It was very flattering on her!
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Halters and strapless are the best for your body type.

I still have wide shoulders and I havent been near the pool in ages.
  • Options
    I share your broad shoulder issues.  I tried on numerous styles of dresses (strapless and every variety of strap that the boutique had)  but nothing really eased the self-consciousness I felt.  After literally trying on 20+ dresses that I had chosen, my bridal consultant again asked me if I would just try on a dress of his choosing.  The dress turned out to be strapless Mermaid style which was like a big no-no in my mind.  But after trying it on, I was amazed at how the flare at the bottom balanced out my big shoulders.  I never would have expected that!  It does have a sweetheart neckline that also is quite flattering.  

Based on my experience, my advice would be to try a variety of styles as you may just be surprised
  • Options
    I was a swimmer for 10 years and also did gymnastics, and had the same problem.  I ended up with a strapless sweetheart ball gown because it was (shockingly) the most flattering on me.  I am also busty and the fullness at the bottom actually balanced me out.  I thought straps would be my friend, but they only seemed to accentuate my upper body.  I felt like such an absolute freak at my first bridal salon trying on dresses next to all the dainty-armed girls.  I thought I was going to pass out I was so overwhelmed.  But, I found a dress I love and now I am proud to show off the body I put so many hours in the pool to get!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards