Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Black for July wedding??

So...I am trying my hardest to figure out what color I want to go with for my bridesmaids dresses.  I am getting married in July of 2011.  I have decided that I want knee to tee length dresses and that I want them to be a semi-neutral color such as black, silver, or slate/charcoal.  But the tops of the dresses can be different...(halter, strapless, etc).  I want a neutral colored bridesmaid dress because my wedding colors will be bright red, orange, and pink (based off of gerber daisies:).  I thought the more neutral color would look much nicer with those colors.  My first choice for the dress color was slate but the more and more I look, I have realized that it is extremely hard to find this color in multiple dresses.  So I am now looking at black dresses, but is this too dark for a July wedding?? Or does anybody have any suggestions as to a designer that has multiple dreses that come in slate?  Thanks so much!

Re: Black for July wedding??

• Options
    I think it's fine, and it's probably easiest to match.  I know I had a hard enough time trying to find just one silver dress for the groomswoman, the dress she ended up with was mostly black.  Black is probably the single most common color for bridesmaid dresses these days, regardless of season.

You could always brighten it up with accessories.  Gerber daisies in their hair would be lovely and summery.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    Too dark. Then again I hate seing black at a wedding at all (if I could tell people what not to wear to mine, this color would be it.)  It's a happy occassion, so why have a funeral color?  I know a lot a people will disagree with me.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    I personally felt black was too dark for my July wedding this year (my colors were aqua and chocolate brown). But it does look beautiful. What if you do sashes around the dresses. And I agree the bright colored flowers will look beautiful. The girls could also wear cute colored shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010
  • Options
    I see nothing wrong with bridesmaids wearing black in July--its a classic color, I wear it year round.   However, J.Crew has some awesome slate colored bridesmaid dresses right now.. The color is called graphite. Would look great with yellow/cream colored flowers.
  • Options

Well since my wedding is this July and my BMs are wearing black dresses, I of course think its perfecly ok.  Seriously when reading your post it sound a lot like my wedding.  Our centerpieces are all hot pink gerbera daisies, and the BMs bouquets are a combo of pink gerbera daisies and spray roses.  The dresses are knee length and black from David's Bridal.  3 of the girls picked a strapless dress, and 2 picked what the store calls the y-neck version.  Honestly, my BMs are completely thrilled because (and I know everyone says it) but it really is a dress you can wear again since it is black.  3 already have things they are wearing it to.

I personally think the style of the dress and fabric have more to do with the season than color does.  Mine are cotton-y dresses, definitely summer/spring type.  And I love the idea of hot pink flowers, or any other bright colors really, popping against the black dresses.  They will have bright fun shoes though as I bought them all super cute heels from Nine West in a black, white, and hot pink pattern.   

You can add color in so many ways with black dresses.  Believe me when i say I NEVER thought my BMs would wear black, but I love it.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My BM's are wearing floor length black dresses for my July 2010 wedding.  I always knew they'd wear black, and I initially thought that they'd wear a colored sash, but after looking, I decided to let them each get their own black dress so...to each her own.  We will be in AC all day so I'm not that concerned. Plus, with girls who range from size 6 to 26 and from age 27 to 39, black is the only color that makes sense to me. Good luck!
  • Options
    I think black is fine. I think your bridesmaids will like you more if you say any black cocktail dress is fine!
  • Options
    i think if your flowers and accents are bright - black is very hot, and classy.
  • Options
    My ladies are wearing black on 6/26/10 (outdoor, kind of casual)

We were going with gray but the black ended up being sooo much easier to find dresses in. And they're not actual BM dresses. (frm White House, Black Market)
    Steph and Chris, 6/26/10
    Planned Executed
  • Options
    hugz415hugz415 member
    First Comment
    Im getting married this July and my gals are wearing black strapless cocktail dresses by Nicole Miller.  I like the look of black/white..its classic.  My florist is using alot of greens mixed in with the flowers to give pops of color.  I like simple so this works for me.

I say go with what you are comfortable with.
    BFP#1 10/30/2011,MC 12/4/2011 9w2d,BFP#2 3/6/2012,m/c 4/18/2012 9w1d D&E 4/18/2012 BFP#3 8/12/2012 EDD 4/25/2013 Stick baby!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary

I wore a black bridesmaid dress for a summer wedding last year and didn't think anything of it. It was knee-length and not too heavy and looked good on most of the girls. I would probably stay away from full-length black in the summer though.

• Options
    We are getting married in July and my colors are silver, black and white...finding dresses in silver was crazy, we ended up finding one for my MOH (our 14 yr old daughter), but my BM, MatronOH and JrBM are all wearing black. I think it looks classic and they are thrilled they aren't getting another orange or baby blue tulle dress to take up closet space!
    As long as you are inside with AC, you're good and your BM's will love you for it!
    "It is never to late to become what you might have been..."
  • Options
    kjs08kjs08 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I'm getting married in the summer of 2011 and my colors are black and Carolina blue and I went to a wedding last April where my BM's dress was full length black. It's a simple elegance and if there's more formal-ish events in the future, it could be worn again. Can't go wrong, especially if your are going to be similar to LBD's :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I"ll be getting married August 2010. My wedding colors are apple green and Caribbean blue. There is no way I'd make my girls wear such bright colors, so I went with black. The bouquets are bright and sassy and both the reception and ceremony will have enough of the colors to make the statement I want. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards