New Hampshire
Options

etiquette

if my service contract says...12% service charge, 10% admin + state tax...Gratuity is not required but is left to the clients discretion following the reception...WHAT DOES THAT MEAN.  i certainly don't want to screw people out of money but i always assumed that banquet servers, in a hotel establishment,  were not subject to the same rules as a waitress or waiter. 

honest feedback welcomed

Re: etiquette

• Options
    ScottCayla11ScottCayla11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my opinion they are already charging you a 22% gratuity. That really is a hard one. Maybe have some cash on hand incase at the end of the night you really feel they went above and beyond any expectations? I don't think I would feel obligated. Let us know what you decide, that's one of those things that alwways leaves me scratching my head. If they want me to tip let me, but I hate being charged an automatic gratuity, as past servers and restaurant staff we tend to over tip, 20% is minimum for us. Maybe ask for clarification from your event coordinator? Is the wait staff going to be tipped accordingly?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll be honest - I didn't give them any extra.  However, if the coordinator at your site was extra awesome, sending them a tip would be a nice gesture.  I didn't, but I kind of think I should have.
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • Options
    DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To be perfectly honest, I don't have a whole lot of experience here, but my venue does build a 20% gratuity into the final meal charge.  They do specify, however, that it is a gratuity, so my assumption is that it goes to the serving staff.

In your situation, I would tip the staff.  It does not seem to me as though the charges include tips; at the very least, around 9-10% of it is going to state tax.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    SoonToBeJRE11SoonToBeJRE11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ya see i'm so torn and while this is my families first wedding i dont' want to seem like that bride, "i want this decent sized great wedding but i don't want to tip."  that's not the case i just wanted to check with the knotties first.  LOL even my mom was like "ok get on the knot and see what they said."  so funny my mom and DFH are always referencing to the knot indirectly, basically telling me to check. 
  • Options
    mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recommend you contact your venue and ask them to explain to you whether or not any of the 12% service charge goes to the servers----the admin and taxes are pretty self-explanatory that they do not.  If part or all of the 12% goes to the servers, then it will be up to you to decide how much to give them beyond that amount.  If your venue contact tells you that none of the 12% goes to the servers--then at least you'll know and be prepared to budget extra for tips.  I wouldn't be shy about asking them to explain this to you--so give them a call.
    September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
  • Options
    JuJuBee1977JuJuBee1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,
    I agree with ScottCayla11 , have cash on hand incase they go above and beyond.

Hope this helps!

Jules
  • Options
    lrdespres17lrdespres17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IF you tip someone make sure it goes directly to the person deserving the money! never give the money to the owner or manager....rarely will the server or bartender see it. So if you are tipping figure out the full amount (preferably 20%) and divide that by how many servers worked the wedding. Handing out tips can be done quickly and easily near the end just ask the cordinator to get everyone together so it can be quickly handed out....if the gratuity is included in the package ask/or tell them you would be more comfortable handing out the money directly to each server. dont worrry about tipping buss boys or barbacks....thats the server and bartenders job...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 140 Invitedimage 72 Ready to Partyimage 0 Party Poopersimage 68 MIA image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a meeting at my venue this weekend and I asked this question. 

My venue has a 20% admin fee and 9% tax. I asked if gratuity was included. I was told that it is not included but their function wait staff is paid a higher hourly wage than a typical restaurant waitstaff. She also said that it is not expected in any way and that I should not feel obligated.  

I am not sure that we will end up tipping, I think we will base our decision on our service. I think it is a great idea to ask your venue as it is sometimes hard to know what different fees cover and you never know what policies are in place.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards