Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Attire for 2 PM wedding

I am getting conflicting guidelines for groom and groomsmen attire at a 2 PM ceremony. Is full tux appropriate? What about cutaway/stroller with striped pants?

Re: Attire for 2 PM wedding

• Options
    i will be having full tux at our wedding and mine will be at one in the afternoon.
  • Options
    saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Technically, a tux is for the evening, a cutaway/morning coat is more appropriate for day wear, but I've seen people wear tuxes during the day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Tuxes are formal evening (after 6PM) wear.  Cutaway and stroller are formal daytime wear.  For less formal daytime, suits are appropriate.
  • Options
    Do whatever you want.   We are having an evening wedding and the groom and GM aren't wearing tuxes but are wearing suits. 

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_attire-for-2-pm-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:f3d1d6e1-808f-4797-a43a-d887e5afefc7Post:773d99d9-7769-4248-98ea-4443b71f9620">Re: Attire for 2 PM wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do whatever you want.   We are having an evening wedding and the groom and GM aren't wearing tuxes but are wearing suits. 
    Posted by dawnp917[/QUOTE]

Tuxes don't <strong>have</strong> to be worn for an evening wedding.  Suits are also appropriate.  But tuxes are not appropriate for daytime.
  • Options
    I have been to many daytime weddings where the men wore tuxes nobody whisprered and said it was inapporpriate.  People should do what makes them happy not what other people dictate.  

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We are getting married at 3pm and all the men in the wedding party will be wearing tuxes. That's what my fiance wants so that's what's going to happen. Who cares what  is "approproate or correct"? Do you you want/what makes you happy. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_attire-for-2-pm-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:f3d1d6e1-808f-4797-a43a-d887e5afefc7Post:773d99d9-7769-4248-98ea-4443b71f9620">Re: Attire for 2 PM wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Do whatever you want</strong>.   We are having an evening wedding and the groom and GM aren't wearing tuxes but are wearing suits. 
    Posted by dawnp917[/QUOTE]

This!

Just because someone else wouldn't do it doesn't mean it's wrong!  Our wedding was at 12:30 in the afternoon and we had tuxes.  Believe it or not, not one of our guests scoffed at us. Imagine that!!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    To all the posters who've said something along the lines of "Do what YOU want and not what someone ELSE says you should do. Hang your rules!"

I offer this:

1) Would you wear a floor length evening gown to a daytime beach wedding?
    2) Conversely, would you wear a sundress to an evening/twilight formal event?
    3) Would you wear a white dress evocative of a wedding gown if you were a guest and not the bride?

See? There are already "rules" you're likely happy to follow. These "rules" exist mostly because certain attire is dissonant with the setting in which it is worn.

That's why every time someone wants to wear black tie (IF they're even doing it right) in the daytime, many of us cringe. That's why when someone suggests wearing black lounge suits to a wedding makes me cringe.

Thinking of tuxedos? Visit this site first: www.blacktieguide.com

What to expect from a rental tuxedo.

• Options
    Is anyone going to judge the bride for wearing a floor length, formal gown at 2pm? Then why would the groom and groomsmen get a shifty eye for wearing a tux? 

I don't care about rules, I'd care about what he really wants to wear. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_attire-for-2-pm-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:f3d1d6e1-808f-4797-a43a-d887e5afefc7Post:f1b03397-323b-45f7-9a3d-ecb9cc13bde7">Re: Attire for 2 PM wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is anyone going to judge the bride for wearing a floor length, formal gown at 2pm? 
    Posted by HeathenSwan[/QUOTE]

<div>This is an "exception, not rule" example.</div><div>
    </div><div>I was simply making the point that there are certain "rules" that people follow regarding what is appropriate wear at certain times and places.</div><div>
    </div><div>Think of "Proper Black Tie Attire Only in the Evening" as proper etiquette. 
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>

Thinking of tuxedos? Visit this site first: www.blacktieguide.com

What to expect from a rental tuxedo.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards