Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Two dresses or one?!

I found my wedding dress a while ago and I absolutely LOVE IT!! The only thing is when I bought the dress we were going to do a more formal wedding  in our current city. We’ve now changed our plan because we really wanted to get married on June 11th and that wasn’t going to happen here so we decided to go the more romantic route and get married where we met on a lake in southern MO. It’s going to be a beautiful backyard wedding that backs up to the hills of the lake with both the ceremony and reception outside.

I’ve been fine with wearing my dress this whole time, but the thought of getting a different dress in the back of my mind, but not enough to actively want to look. Well the other day I was enjoying dinner with my family and my mom brings it up. She says “I’ve been thinking(never a good sign haha), would you want to get a different dress to wear for the reception so you won’t be so hot in your dress?” Instantly I responded "No, I really love my dress” but the more I think about it maybe she’s got a point. My dress is gorgeous but it’s heavy and full of beading and if it’s as humid as it can be in June in southern MO than I might be a bit warm(and by warm I mean sweating to death)! I’ve always been the one who questions why a girl would change out of her beautiful gown and put on a different dress for the reception, but now I’m starting to wonder if that’s the right way to go for me.

So with that I guess my question is….should I look into buying a lighter weight simple tea length dress for the reception or should I just suck it up and keep a fan and cold beverage close by and wear the dress that I figured I would wear for the whole day?!

Any advice is appreciated!! :)

Re: Two dresses or one?!

• Options
    I got a second dress for pretty much the same reason. I LOVE my dress, but it's very form fitting and I know that I won't be comfortable in it for too long. Since it's a long day, I decided to get a second cute dress for dancing at night. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had two dresses for my wedding.  The first dress was a huge ball gown that was very heavy to wear and very hot (July wedding in Florida).  I also have back problems and knew I would have issues wearing that heavy of a dress the entire day.  I am so glad that I purchased the second dress.  By the time photos were over I was ready to pass out from the heat.  I waited until after the first dance and literally ran out of the ballroom to put on my second dress.  The only thing I wish I had done differently, is to have started looking earlier than I did.  I didn't decide to get the second dress until 4 weeks before the wedding and had to buy something off the rack at Nieman Marcus. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Well, I guess I am the odd ball here. We got married in June in central Ohio and it was hot & sticky esp after raining in the early morning. Yes, I was hot, but I loved my dress and there was no way in hell that I was going to spend money (after what mine cost) on a second dress.
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice ladies!! I’ll have to do a little more thinking on this!  I’d love it if I could alter mine so that it could be both a long and a short dress but I have a feeling that will cost me the same as a new wedding dress, so maybe having 2 dresses isn’t a bad idea! J
  • Options
    I wouldn't think it was strange if you had 2 dresses.

That being said, I love my dress and I spent a lot of money on it so I plan to wear it for as long as possible and won't be buying a second dress for the day.
  • Options
    I actually came on here to post this question. Though, I do plan to wear my original dress for my casual outdoor wedding, I am now wondering if I should get a short slightly dressy white or champagne dress to wear the night before, or if there's terrible rain, heat or a wine spill. I found a line at Nordstrom called Eliza J and the average dress cost is $150. So, that makes me feel a bit better about it. Though, since we are in someone's yard, it makes me wonder if I'm being wasteful even spending $150 for a dress I MAY wear the night before and in case of emergency?

So, in answer to your question, an affordable but nice dress you still feel beautiful in does seem appropriate to me if you get overheated or need to change. I was trying to find one that could work for attending another wedding or to wear out so it's not a total waste.
    Happily married in South Haven, MI on June 4, 2011.
  • Options
    I bought an Eliza J dress for the rehearsal dinner and I am going to bring it with me to the wedding just in case I am unable to wear my dress all night! Also it will be worn when we all head out to the bar after the wedding! It was under $100 so its very worth it since I plan on wearing it at least once.  I think I may end up in the short dress after the cake cutting just so people can see it!! But I do want to wear my gown as long as possible I am in love with it and I spent way more on it then I should have so I need to wear the heck out of it!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards