New Hampshire

Yet another Photography Question...

Hi ladies!
Looking for you opinion-- I found a wedding photographer (shawntphoto.com) whose work I think is great-- but she works out of 2 places, NH & North Carolina and until late June she will be in North Carolina. My FI & I want to book our photographer in the next couple of weeks before leave for Vegas (woop!) so we can at least have that done. In your opinion, is it really important to meet hte photographer in person before booking? I'm obviously setting up time to speak with her over the phone. Thanks in advance!

Re: Yet another Photography Question...

• edited December 2011
    I met with my photographer in person and I'm really glad I did.  It's a husband and wife team and I feel very comfortable with the wife who will do all of my pre-ceremony pics.  They also gave us a lot of great ideas of what to do at our venue.
    I would suggest meeting as many vendors in person as you can (florist, dj, JP, photographer etc).  You have to have a good feeling and make sure that you not only like their work, but their personality.  You have to feel comfortable asking questions, changing your mind etc. 

GL!
  • ericcaahericcaah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my opinion, I think it's important to meet your photographers in person before you book. It's important to make sure that you really hit it off with them, as they will be around you for more of your wedding day than your family will be! You can only learn so much from the photographer's website (they only post the best of their best work) and they can certainly sell themselves well over email and websites. Meeting them in person will allow you to viewthe album of an entire couples' wedding and help you get to know them and making sure you 'click' personality-wise and that their photography style fits you and FI.  Meeting our photographers in person was a hugggee selling point for us - and helped us to know we made the right decision to book with the photographers we chose. HTH!

Is there any chance she can put a hold on your date until she's back from North Carolina?
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jrich7686jrich7686 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much Erica! Yeah I was thinking the same thing-- this particular's work is just gorgeous on her website, but I definitely want to see more than just that. Your photos were beautiful too! I'm going to look into your photog as well.

Litskispecialty, what photographer are you going with?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using affordable memories photography in Jaffrey, NH, recommended by my ceremony site. 

You also want to make sure your photographer is relaible.  I hate to speak ill but some photographers have had bad review on here including not returning deposits.  I've heard bad things about Andrea Runkel of Luminence lately which I feel bad because I knew her growing up.  She never returned my initial inquiry and others have had a hard time getting a hold of her.

Just make sure you are getting calls back, emails whatever you need ahead of time.  I'm using Invited Design Studio for my inviations and am not super happy with their services as it takes a long time to get a response, but deposits are paid and mock ups are made.  So make sure you're happy before you put down any money you can't get back! 

Finally I suggest shopping around a bit just to make sure you're getting the best package for your money.  H2H!
  • auntykarebearauntykarebear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely meet in person. I thought I was going to go with one photographer, until I met her in person and just got a "bad vibe" from her. I liked her work on her website, but in person, found her to be highly disorganized and flighty. After meeting my current photographer, I am much more confident.

I agree with ericaah--ask if she can put a hold on your wedding date until you can meet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards