Attire & Accessories Forum

Completely Changing a Dress

I was over-excited when I got engaged and quickly bought a wedding dress.  I am now having buyer's remorse, and the dress cannot be returned.  Has anyone had any experience with having a seamstress change something major about a dress?  The dress has short sleeves, and I want it altered to a one-shoulder.  Am I crazy, or can this be done?  I feel really stupid and embarrassed that I now hate the dress I bought.  If I cannot get it altered like that, I am just going to have to buy another dress.  I do still like the bottom half of my dress, I just think the top half is too dumpy looking.

Re: Completely Changing a Dress

• The best thing to do would be to bring the dress to a local seamstress and see what she says.  There is no way for us to be able to tell you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree, ask her not only can it be done, but how much it will cost you.  If it is going to be really expensive you might just want to try finding another gown.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My gut feeling is that sleeves are one of the easiest things to change about a dress.  The best thing would be to take it to a seamstress and get an estimate.
  • My dress was totally changed.  I had my bodice replaced, different fabric, the back was lowered, straps and a sash were added.  It looked completely different.  Including the hem and bustle it was $850 for all alterations, this was a yard and a half of silk, a custom sash everything.  

I would take it to someone for sure.  I LOVE my gown afterwards, before hand it was yuck.  However I bought it as a sample and there was no way I could have afforded that much of a silk dress.  
  • Thanks.  I have an appointment tomorow with a seamstress to see what can be done.  I just didn't know if this was a totally crazy idea or not.  Glad to know someone else had her dress completely changed.
  • Don't worry!  You bought the dress for a reason.  I remember being disappointed by all the strapless dresses because I wanted something with straps, and the sales woman said it was very easy to change that. Good luck!!
  • I bought my dress originally because my mother loved it and all the sales ladies were gushing about how beautiful it looked. When I got it home though I hated it (silently) and I felt super constricted in the bust. So I bought a sash that I loved on Etsy and took it to a local seamstress who specializes in redesigning wedding dresses. We changed the top to a sweetheart neckline, added lace straps, added pearl buttons down the back, and even added lace to the bottom when the shoes I fell in love with made the dress too short. She even added a fabulous French bustle. Sure, it wasn't cheap, but it was totally worth it in the end. Now I'm three weeks from my wedding and I have a dress that I LOVE! Anything is possible with the right seamstress, enough time, and a good wallet. So good luck!!
  • It shouldnt be too horribly hard to alter it like that. She woul dhave to cut off the offending sleeve and then hem that spot to flow around your curves. But bridal material is much harder to work with than everyday fabrics. So take it to your seamstress and get her opinion. She may have other ideas to dress up your dress. You didnt mention when the wedding date is so if you have time, sell it on Amazon or ebay or craigslist etc. and then purchase a new one.

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_completely-changing-a-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:fbc833a0-bf26-4eb3-bec9-ed581a5a5b33Post:3909699f-b2fd-403b-887e-25caa06fbcd4">Completely Changing a Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was over-excited when I got engaged and quickly bought a wedding dress.  I am now having buyer's remorse, and the dress cannot be returned.  Has anyone had any experience with having a seamstress change something major about a dress?  The dress has short sleeves, and I want it altered to a one-shoulder.  Am I crazy, or can this be done?  I feel really stupid and embarrassed that I now hate the dress I bought.  If I cannot get it altered like that, I am just going to have to buy another dress.  I do still like the bottom half of my dress, I just think the top half is too dumpy looking.
    Posted by missteacherlady[/QUOTE]
  • Thanks everyone.  I had the same thing happen as marylou...my mom and the sales lady went freaking crazy about the dress and I got caught up in the excitement and bought it.  After putting it on again and talking to the seamstress, we decided to just change the neckline and add a sash.  I am happy with the dress now...it just took a few minor changes.  The dress isn't finished yet, but if it comes out as planned it should be perfect. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_completely-changing-a-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:fbc833a0-bf26-4eb3-bec9-ed581a5a5b33Post:345bbd24-8ab7-423d-891d-dd82f9ef394a">Re: Completely Changing a Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]My gut feeling is that sleeves are one of the easiest things to change about a dress.  The best thing would be to take it to a seamstress and get an estimate.
    Posted by harpsdesire[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree. Depending on how much you paid for the dress, and how much alterations will cost, it may be cheaper to find a dress you really do like, though. I'd get an estimate and go from there.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with second thoughts about my dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh I wish that I was as lucky as you ladies and was more bold during my fittings.
    I also got pressured into buying a dress I wasn't totally in love with by my mother and the sales woman.  Then my mother came to the fittings, poo-pooed and blocked all my wishes to make some very minor changes to the top of the dress and the seamstress backed her.  Now I'll be wearing a dress that I don't like very much in a month.  Oh well- I guess you get over it.  Wonderful wishes to you ladies for your weddings! :)
  • Having same thoughts here..HATE it, but with only 2 months left to go, not very much I can do to change it.  So I shall wear it, added a sweater to cover up the problem areas I dont like and will wear it and still be FABULOUS!!
  • So glad i'm not only one with buyer's remorse! My mom and the salesgirl talked me into buying a very sweet, romantic, traditional dress I only kinda liked instead the funky one I was in love with. I wish I would have ignored them! The dress I have is beautiful, just not really what I wanted.
  • ive ad second thoghts on everything!
  • Honestly didn't realize there were so many of us!  I too got caught up in the moment, and now, though the dress is beautiful I'm not sure the look is what I envisioned for myself...DAMN YOU SAMPLE SALES!  Does anyone have suggestions as to where you might be able to unload a dress and still (if at all possible) get most of your money back? Either online or in the NYC area?
  • marshimellowmarshimellow member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    Preownedweddingdresses.com seems like a good site. For $25 you can put oictures, sizing info, and price and the buyer emails you. I was going to use it before i realized my sore (Davids ridal) would give me store credit for my impulse buy. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was soooo excited and ran right out to get a dress. I got engaged on July 22nd. A week and a half later I bought my dress. I had been eyeing it for a year and was relieved that when I tried it on it looked great. My sister, a bridesmaid, and the salesgirl loved me in it. By the time I got home I was having chest pains thinking I jumped the gun. I kept looking at pictures of myslef in it and wiondering if it is really the look I wanted to go for. It was beautiful but not form fitting enough. The store will NOT return my money but they are going to give me the 1200 store credit for it. My bridesmaids will get their dresses from that store (DAVIDS BRIDAL) using my store credit. PHewwww...so if this happens to you check out the store policy. They probably will never give you your money back, but store credit is definitely better than nothing. your mom, groom's mom, bridesmaids, flower girls could get their dresses there.
  • It completely depends on the seamstress.  If you can find one good enough, that can take the time to do it.  I've been told by one seamstress that something I asked to be done was impossible, no one would be able to do it... only to find one who said it was no problem.
    I want a love like Johnny & June!
  • Wow thanks ladies for sharing your stories.  I am not sure if I want to keep my dress or change it.  I love it when I try it but not sure if the pictures are actually reflecting what I see in the mirror. The back view and the top view are georgeous but not sure about the bottom of the dress yet.  I am too glad to know that I am not crazy and that all brides seem to go through these feelings.  It also tells me that maybe there are a few changes I can make to the dress to make me love it totally. 

• welcome to: =====   famalegoods.com   ====

The website wholesale for many kinds of
    fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada,****, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.

free shipping

competitive price

any size available

accept the paypal

=====   famalegoods.com   ====

jordan shoes $32

nike shox $32

Christan Audigier bikini $23

Ed Hardy Bikini $23

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15

ed hardy short_tank_woman $16

Sandal $32

christian louboutin $80

Sunglass $15

COACH_Necklace $27

handbag $33

AF tank woman $17

puma slipper woman $30

=====   famalegoods.com   ====
  • I did the SAME thing- I went and tried on dresses like two weeks after getting engaged, before we'd even set a date and bought a dress- then when we looked at bridesmaid dresses i made the mistake of trying on a few more dresses, and fell in love with a dress that was 75% off, thankfully i could return the other dress and get a store credit, now i have a dress i absolutely LOVE!
  • edited October 2012
    Like a few of you my mother and sister went with me to my initial fitting (about 2 months after I was engaged). And she saw this "old-school" dress that she absolutely LOVED on me. It was too plain in my opinion, but she said it complimented my shape. Thanks to my mom and her strong personality (lol) it rubbed off on both me and my sisters. So..........her opinion was just that......an opinion. I respected it, but ultimately told her this was MY day and i had to be comfortable in the dress I LOVED. I have the dress now and although my wedding isn't until May 2013, I have NO regrets on my dress of choice.

Words to the wise ladies, don't let salesladies, mammas, friends, or anyone else affect your choice of dress. They will love you for your strong-headedness!! I must admit though.........i have changed my projected style of shoes, hair, and bridesmaid dresses several times, lol. Im hoping I can finally narrow that down in the near future.
  • edited November 2012
    from the moment i started looking at dresses i knew for sure what i didnt want: a ballgown! im small and felt those dresses would swallow me..on my second dress shopping trip i tried one and got caught up in the moment. it was pretty and princessy, and i put a deposit on. I spent the whole next day crying, knowing that was not what i wanted! i trying cancelling the order but i was told it had been already ordered and there were nothing they could do (i call BS on that!)..i decided to walk away from my money and a few months later found the perfect dress!  i really wish i didnt have wasted the money but it wasnt that much, and it wasnt worth wearing a dress i didnt love on our wedding day

• i am soo going through the exact situation as everyone right now.. I live in a different state than the dress was ordered from and my mother recently went to pick it up- im hoping this coming weekend when im in town i try it on and have a moment but at the same time i am expecting my buyers remorse to take over and i have started looking at other options for a dress. sending happy, loving the dress vibes to everyone!
  • This post is encouraging. I resisted the pressure to buy a dress that my mom and MOH loved that I wasn't impressed with. Thankfully I have time to shop for the dress that I feel is right for me.
  • I too have buyers remorse.  I bought my dress in July.  It's a strapless A-line.  I thought it was beautiful.  But now I've lost 25 pounds & want something more fitted.  I absolutely love mermaid style.  I broke the news to my family on Thanksgiving & they were all in disbelief.  I purchased the dress at David's Bridal.  I called & spoke with the manager who told me upon inspection of my dress, I would be able to exchange the dress for equal or greater value.  I am so excited now.  I have an appointment next week.  I found 2 online that I absolutely love.  Hopefully one of them looks great.  Wish me luck.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_completely-changing-a-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:fbc833a0-bf26-4eb3-bec9-ed581a5a5b33Post:8affc377-072b-4c74-b7ea-630d414acaa7">Re: Completely Changing a Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly didn't realize there were so many of us!  I too got caught up in the moment, and now, though the dress is beautiful I'm not sure the look is what I envisioned for myself...DAMN YOU SAMPLE SALES!  Does anyone have suggestions as to where you might be able to unload a dress and still (if at all possible) get most of your money back? Either online or in the NYC area?
    Posted by dee2150[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com" rel="nofollow">www.preownedweddingdresses.com</a></div><div>
    </div><div>I am selling my dress I purchased too fast and now have dress regret. Not only is it regret,....it's way too dang big... try 5-6 sizes too big. It would need to be completely reconsstructed and the dress would not look the same. So alas I am selling it and going for a new one. Sometimes it is cheaper to purchase a new one with the resell money them to alter the old one. I purchased sample and it would cost the sample price plus some to fix it....no thanks!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards