Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

What should the groom's dad wear?

What is the father of the groom supposed to wear to the wedding? I've seen some instances where the groom's dad wears a tux and others where he just wears something nice, like slacks and a shirt. I was under the impression that only the men in the ceremony (i.e., my dad, my FI, and his groomsmen) had to wear a tux. I really don't care what my FFIL wears, just as long as he's comfortable, but my FMIL insists that he should wear a tux (and I should mention that he doesn't want to). Thoughts?

Re: What should the groom's dad wear?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_should-grooms-dad-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:fe4e957f-bc7b-4f0f-b537-213c15253db0Post:37c8c6b4-0613-427a-8e1b-8798c56725fc">What should the groom's dad wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is the father of the groom supposed to wear to the wedding? I've seen some instances where the groom's dad wears a tux and others where he just wears something nice, like slacks and a shirt. I was under the impression that only the men in the ceremony (i.e., my dad, my FI, and his groomsmen) had to wear a tux. I really don't care what my FFIL wears, just as long as he's comfortable, but my FMIL insists that he should wear a tux <strong>(and I should mention that he doesn't want to). </strong>Thoughts?
    Posted by TheFutureMrsBellon[/QUOTE]

This is the important part here.  The fathers can match the groomsmen or not match; it will look fine either way. 

Tell him that you are perfectly fine with him wearing a normal suit or whatever he's comfortable in. 
    murrayed
  • Options
    My dad and FIL wore tuxes, my stepdad bought a suit.  Unless your wedding is black tie, it doesn't really matter.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options

Both dad's are matching GMs in tuxes...they're having different boutioneres to stand out though

• Options
    Both Dad's are wearing tuxes with different colored vests and ties.  But whatever HE feels most comfortable in is what he should wear.  FOG for me really wanted to be in a tux, I think he just wanted to stand out from the crowd.  GL!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    tux definitely  in my opinion
  • Options
    My Dad is wearing a tux.  My FFIL is wearing a suit.  He would not be comfortablte in a tux and I would rather him be comfortable.  I do not think the fathers have to match...each other or the WP.
  • Options
    ditto PP...mine will also have two different bouts from the others!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards