December 2012 Weddings

I need an opinion from someone other than family...

So my fiance and I have picked our date for December 8, 2012. It wasn't as easy decision as my Maid of Honor is my sister and her birthday is the day before on December 7th. The reason we picked this day was so that we could go on a 2 week honeymoon and still be home by Christmas so we could spend our first Christmas as husband and wife with our families. Now, before we totally decided on this date, I asked her, as my best friend and my sister, if she minded the day. I told her I would move it if it really bothered her. I truly believe she was honest with me when she said she didn't mind and she was very happy for us. My mother on the other hand is not happy....she insists that I am inconsiderate of my sister's feelings and I need to move it back a week. I really don't want to be away over Christmas. I insisted that I did consider her feelings and she was okay with it. It's now the root of every disagreement we are having about flowers, dresses, favors, and colors. I don't know what to do! Any advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I need an opinion from someone other than family...

• Birthdays are once EVERY year...a wedding is ONCE A LIFETIME!

I think it is CRAZY this is even an argument! You went above and beyond by asking your sister (which I think was sweet of you) and it seems like she is ok with it!

I assume your rehearsal will be the day before (her actual brithday) maybe at the end of dinner have a cake for her? that would be a nice gesture!

Summary - I do not think you should change your date!
  • Stick to your guns and keep your date.

I'm getting married the day after my MIL's 50th birthday-- if she can handle it so can your sister.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited January 2012
    Keep your date!  She'll have a birthday again next year.
  • you asked the person it should bother if anyone.. your sister. Unless this is your sister's sweet sixteen , I think she will be fine!
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • edited January 2012
    It's your day, you should be the one to choose it! Honestly you asking your sister was right, and if you think she was honest about it tell your mom to drop it. The only way your mom or anyone else should have a say in this is if they are helping you pay for the wedding. If you think your sister was being honest, then do it! 
  • I think you are definitely worrying too much.  Have no fear, the only person you need to consider is your sis - which you did already.

As a friendly suggestion, why not have the day be special for her as well and either dedicate a song to her and/or have the dj play happy birthday to her and you could get her a cake.  ;)
  • I say keep your date. If your sister doesnt mind than who cares what anyone else thinks. Its not even the same day is the day after. You can still celebrate your sister bday with out any problem. I say you keep the date... good luck

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm totally on board with all of the other encouraging brides who have replied already!  I'm getting married on 12/28/12, which is a Friday, because it was cheaper and it was the only date available for the venue we wanted.  The catch?  It's not only my parents' 44th anniversary, but also my brother's 16th anniversary!  All three couples have needed to plan weddings centered around military leaves and there's nothing I can do about it.  I'm the last of four children, all of whom are married and the calendar is pretty tight in my family.  Instead of being upset, my parents and my brother were so touched and happy for me and my fiance.  The date will be yours and will have the meaning it is supposed to have for you: love and excitement.  If you've asked your sister, then you've shown that you were respectful and considerate.  Now everyone needs to GET OVER IT and be happy for you.  Perhaps a heart-to-heart with your mom?

• I am getting married on my future SIL's birthday. I am having a destination wedding and that was the only day we could get. She was totally fine with it. She is actually the one who picked the date being my travel agent and MOH in one. Her parents seemed a little ticked about it but she was fine and so am I. I actually got engaged on my sisters birthday.

• surprise your sis with a birthday cake at the rehearsal dinner... and to calm your mom, let her be the one to "plan" how to surprise your sis during the rehearsal
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards